HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 9:09 PM

Sportsnet Coverage of the game by Sportsnet's John Molinaro:

Quote:
Thrilling HFX Wanderers home opener a landmark moment for Halifax

HALIFAX – While serving as coach of the Canadian national team, and desperately trying to drum up fan interest ahead of a World Cup qualifier in Toronto in 2011, Stephen Hart urged local sports fans to buy tickets for the game by famously imploring them to “taste the soup.”

“Come out and see what it’s about, and sort of push the team along. If it’s truly something you want to see — [Canada qualifying for] a World Cup — you could be a big part of that and you could also probably have bragging rights to say ‘I was there from the very beginning,’ and not just jump on the bandwagon,” Hart said at the time.

Eight years later, Hart now finds himself as the head coach of HFX Wanderers FC, who earned a 2-1 win over Hamilton-based Forge FC on Saturday afternoon in their home opener of the Canadian Premier League season. Akeem Garcia wrote his name in the history books as the first goal scorer in Wanderers’ history, and Luis Perea brought the house down with his game-winning goal in the 82nd minute.

Beyond seeing his team earn its first win, Hart had to have liked what he saw, as not only did Halifax sports fans “taste the soup,” they licked their bowls clean and asked for seconds. A sellout crowd of 6,113 fans jammed into the popup stadium located on the historic Wanderers Grounds in the heart of the city, wedged between Citadel Hill and the Public Gardens, marking the return of pro soccer to Halifax for the first time since 1991 when the Nova Scotia Clippers competed in the old Canadian Soccer League.
Read more here:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/thri...oment-halifax/

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 3:00 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Did you go? It looked great on Television!

2-1 Victory!

yeah have a season ticket in 109
They did a spectacular job on and off the field, good selection of drinks, great selection of food with lots of local vendors
and with 5000 of the 6500 seats being season tickets should be great turnouts

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 5:50 PM
Halifax Promoter!

What channel are they televised on? I remember seeing it somewhere but can't find it....

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
What channel are they televised on? I remember seeing it somewhere but can't find it....
All games are streamed on OneSoccer.ca

20 games this season are also streamed online at CBC and ten are shown in CBC TV.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 7:56 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Thank you!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:07 PM

CBC SPORTS FULL REPLAY Canadian Premier League: Forge FC at HFX Wanderers FC

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cpl...ream-1.5113489

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:46 PM

Wanderers Grounds Stadium Expansion? I sure hope so...

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article.

If the Wanderers have room to expand the stadium, they should go for it.

I understand they want to remain downtown for the atmosphere and the synergy with the bar district, but at some point they will likely want to build a permanent stadium rather than having temporary bleachers. If the permanent stadium goes on the Wanderers Grounds, they will have to relocate for a year or two during the construction phase........

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:00 PM

I'm sure it would be impossible for all sorts of bureaucratic and political reasons, but it would sure be nice to make use of at least part of Citadel Hill for something useful to the city. The area on the side facing the Wanderers Grounds was traditionally used for concerts. The slope there would be ideal for permanent seating for a facility like this being discussed, while letting them retain a location in the same area.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:23 PM

I actually thought the same thing.

I remember the Natal Day concerts on the hill. The crowds were amazing.

What if they built bleachers at the base of the hill and charged general admission to the top portion of the hill?

But again,...I bet that there would be no appetite for it.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The side of Citadel Hill there is a natural amphitheatre. It would make a unique location for a stadium, that's for sure........

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:44 PM

Interesting article. Ed McHugh's analysis of public sentiment is spot on to how I feel about the approach of the Wanderers vs stadium boosters.

I'm not even a soccer fan, but I'm super excited by the Wanderers and will definitely go see at least one game this summer (if I can even get tickets). They came with a completely reasonable ask of the public (a trial lease) rather than an ask for $100 million, a firm commitment from the league, scaled their proposal such that no one could question the viability, and built grassroots hype. Literally the only negative/controversy I can see about their story is if you're one of the Haligonians who holds the philosophical view that nothing should be built on the Common.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm not even a soccer fan, but I'm super excited by the Wanderers and will definitely go see at least one game this summer (if I can even get tickets). They came with a completely reasonable ask of the public (a trial lease) rather than an ask for $100 million, a firm commitment from the league, scaled their proposal such that no one could question the viability, and built grassroots hype. Literally the only negative/controversy I can see about their story is if you're one of the Haligonians who holds the philosophical view that nothing should be built on the Common.
Their strategy was absolutely optimal and should be a guide for how any sport team should enter a market.

I think it's a bit early for a stadium expansion but if they're confident they can pack it out then by all means.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 4:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Their strategy was absolutely optimal and should be a guide for how any sport team should enter a market.
Indeed - I'm very impressed with the Wanderers management and their strategic approach. Anthony LeBlanc and the Atlantic Schooners not so much..........

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

Yes, you have to admit - they just stepped in and got it done. No fanfare, no hoopla... refreshing actually.

I'm not a soccer fan either, but am very happy to see this come to Halifax. I wish them continuing success!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed - I'm very impressed with the Wanderers management and their strategic approach. Anthony LeBlanc and the Atlantic Schooners not so much..........
Well, there's a little bit of difference between throwing up some bleachers and a 20k permanent stadium, hiring 46 players at an average 80k salary, versus 25 at 50k per year. C'mon guys this double standard is a bit too much. The CPL has only been playing for a couple of weeks.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 4:46 AM

We've been talking about a pipe dream...I mean CFL team... for far longer than it took to first mention, then create a successful soccer team, in a new league.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Well, there's a little bit of difference between throwing up some bleachers and a 20k permanent stadium, hiring 46 players at an average 80k salary, versus 25 at 50k per year. C'mon guys this double standard is a bit too much. The CPL has only been playing for a couple of weeks.
But surely the end game (as a society) is entertainment and quality of life for the residents of this city. If we can get that out of some bleachers and 25 players at 50k a year, instead of $100 million and 46 players at 80k, that's a huge success.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:30 PM

If the CPL continues to be successful, then players may inevitably see an increase in their expected compensation. Conversely, if the CFL continues its slide in popularity downwards,...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment