HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

The public works department is holding a public information session on the A-Line May 6 at the Sackville Hill Seniors’ Centre on Upper Wentworth Street, and another on the B-Line May 8 at the Education Centre on Main Street West. Meeting times have not been announced.

Be there!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:55 AM
It's Hammer Time

Will it be bus or rail?
Public asked to examine merits of each system

April 16, 2008
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator

You learned your ABCs in school. Now it's time to learn about BRT and LRT.

You'll need to know those acronyms to take part in a big decision Hamiltonians are being asked to make by June.

After years of struggling to balance fares and service on the Hamilton Street Railway, the city is suddenly being offered lots of provincial money to build rapid transit systems from Eastgate Mall to McMaster University and from the harbour to the airport.

The cash will come from the McGuinty government's $17.5-billion Move Ontario 2020 plan announced last June that included immediate funds for more articulated, hybrid-engine buses to beef up existing crosstown service and provide regular service from downtown to the airport.

Now the public is being asked to decide by June whether, going ahead, we want buses running in reserved lanes -- bus rapid transit (BRT) -- or streetcar-like vehicles on steel rails -- light rail transit (LRT).

To add to the alphabet soup, the north-south route is being called the A-Line and the crosstown route the B-Line, not to be confused with the HSR's present east-west Bee Line semi-express bus service. The Move Ontario plan does not include a cross-Mountain route that Hamilton's Transportation Master Plan says is also needed.

The public works department is holding a public information session on the A-Line May 6 at the Sackville Hill Seniors' Centre on Upper Wentworth Street, and another on the B-Line May 8 at the Education Centre on Main Street West. Meeting times have not been announced.

Jill Stephen, manager of strategic planning, says information on the choices is not yet available on the city website, but will be posted in advance.

Current discussions are aimed only at choosing the type or types of rapid transit. Once that is decided, there will have to be a class environmental assessment that will look at alternative routes and designs.

Present plans for the east-west B-Line call for maintaining the present one-way pattern of westbound service on King Street and eastbound service on Main Street through the downtown area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 1:48 PM
Closed account

How rapid bus transit, light rail transit work in other cities

Special to The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 16, 2008)

Rapid transit is coming to Hamilton. There are two options for a new transportation system; rapid bus transit (RBT) and light rail transit (LRT).

Some North American cities have already been using these systems for years. Here's how it works for them.

Minneapolis

Population: 3.2 million

LRT since 2004

* 26.4 kilometres of track

* In 2007, 9.1 million people rode the LRT system compared to 7.9 million in 2005, according to a survey by Metro Transit.

* 27,000 people ride the train on a weekday.

* 80 per cent of people riding the train are car owners.

* 34 per cent of riders make approximately $70,000 a year.

* 49 per cent of weekday riders take the train five days a week.

* 45 per cent of the riders are between 35 and 54 years old.

According to Bob Gibbons, director of customer services at Metro Transit, the light rail system in Minneapolis cost $715.3 million to build.

Operating costs are projected at $24.3 million for 2008. $9.2 million comes from fares, $5.3 million from the state, $5.3 million from the county, $3.7 million from car sales tax and the remaining $800,000 from advertising.

Portland, Ore.

Population: 2 million

MAX LRS

The first light rail system opened in 1985. There is now almost 100 kilometres of track.

* 34 million people rode the light rail system in 2007.

* 104,200 people ride the light rail system on a weekday.

* A two-car light rail vehicle carries 266 people.

Since the 1980s when the rail was first built, there has been more than $6 billion in development within walking distance of the LRT stations.

"Developers like the permanence of a rail when investing millions into a building," said Peggy LaPoint, a transit public information officer.

Calgary

Population: 1.1 million

Rapid bus transit since 2003

Light rail transit since 1981

* 36 stations along 42.1 kilometres of track.

* 270,000 people take the Calgary LRT system on a weekday.

* Ridership on the LRT has doubled in the past 10 years.

According to Rob Collins, spokesperson for Calgary Transit, more than 90 million people used the Calgary public transit system last year.

The rapid bus system was a cheaper way to boost transit in the city, but Calgary is replacing the buses with light rail service as it receives the funding for it.

Ottawa

Population: 1.2 million

Transitway rapid bus transit

* 240,000 people ride the Transit bus system on a weekday.

* 175 buses run per hour.

* During peak hours, as many as 10,000 people will ride the bus.

* 95.6 million people used the public transit system in Ottawa last year.

Ottawa has eight kilometres of light rail track and plans to expand, said Vincent Patterson, manager of performance at OC Transpo, which runs the transit system.

http://thespec.com/article/355158

Last edited by DC83; Apr 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM. Reason: added photo/link

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ohh I'm so excited to check out the open house, I'll be going to both. Though I've never been to the School Board before so that will be tricky. I like how they are not wasting any time on this.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:09 PM

It's happening a lot quicker than ours is in Waterloo Region--we're being environmentally assessed to death because it's connecting distinct urban areas, not running within one urban area.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:11 PM
Closed account

plus, keep in mind the new EA act in Ontario is being changed now to allow transit projects to fly through the process.
If Waterloo was starting today you'd be finished in no time.
Hamilton is one of the first, or perhaps the first, major transit project being developed under these new EA rules.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:37 PM
Closed account

^^ That's the best thing that could happen. What does the leglislation say? 6 months MAX for Environmental Assesments, right? So if LRT/BRT decision date is June 25, does that mean the EA would begin right away?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 2:48 PM

The fast track EA for transit isn't quite approved yet. It is still open for comment to May 12th. http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Ext...Q4&language=en

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ That's the best thing that could happen. What does the leglislation say? 6 months MAX for Environmental Assesments, right? So if LRT/BRT decision date is June 25, does that mean the EA would begin right away?

The legislation proposes that you have to complete your EA within 6 months from the time the notice of commencement is filed. The City would have to initiate the EA before this time frame is to be followed. There is also a limited amount of time that the Ministry has to review the EA if an appeal is recieved. I think it is about a month.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 3:47 PM
Closed account

I've been told that this will all happen quite quickly since the provincial money is available and metrolinx is looking for high quality projects to promote before the next provincial budget.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
The legislation proposes that you have to complete your EA within 6 months from the time the notice of commencement is filed. The City would have to initiate the EA before this time frame is to be followed. There is also a limited amount of time that the Ministry has to review the EA if an appeal is recieved. I think it is about a month.
Thanks for the clarification!

I don't anticipate any delays with an EA for this anyway... it's going through an already existing urban area. Can't Wait!

And ya, with the amount of money Dalton & his Liberals have been pumping into (this part) of the province, there's no doubt they'll be re-elected. Maybe Flaherty should save his rediculousness until he actually has a chance!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 5:11 PM

so hypothetically, when could we see construction begin on either LRT or BRT, based on what the city decides.

I really feel LRT will happen (almost positive on the B-Line), I'm surprised at the amount of media publicity about it with the spec, and the blog and the responses in there. I'm not sure however, how many are like in this forum responding there, but seems like most people are in favour of it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 5:16 PM
Closed account

I'm attending a private meeting re: LRT next week at 'city hall'. with some of the planners, project manager etc....
I'll give an update if possible after that.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:17 PM

Ferguson writes back: "I agree public transit is important to Hamilton and my support of many enhancements in HSR service demonstrates that. However it must co-exist with the motoring pubic. To shut Main street down to two lanes for motorist is not practical or sustainable."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:27 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

My prediction is the B-line construction of LRT will start in spring 2009.

I could really see the ball rolling fast on these transit projects in the next year, especially with gas prices expected to hit $1.50 by the end of summer.

post 666

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:33 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
it must co-exist with the motoring pubic. To shut Main street down to two lanes for motorist is not practical or sustainable."
I think his motoring public is going to have great difficulty when gas prices hit a buck fifty by the end of summer. We are already at $1.20.

I think people in his ward are going to POed when there is not economical and efficient way for them to get to work in the morning.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Ferguson writes back: "I agree public transit is important to Hamilton and my support of many enhancements in HSR service demonstrates that. However it must co-exist with the motoring pubic. To shut Main street down to two lanes for motorist is not practical or sustainable."
Tool. Not sustainable?? Ridiculous. How is catering to the motoring public sustainable? This project could make or break the Hammer for the next decade or longer. Choose wisely, or face the wrath of taxpayers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:42 PM

"I agree that public transit is important to Hamilton, and as such its level of mediocrity must match that of other city initiatives"

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
I think his motoring public is going to have great difficulty when gas prices hit a buck fifty by the end of summer. We are already at $1.20.

I think people in his ward are going to POed when there is not economical and efficient way for them to get to work in the morning.
They will be PO'd, lets hope they will direct their anger more appropriately towards the lack of alternatives rather than continuing to curse the government, oil companies, gas station clerks and Lloyd Ferguson for not trying harder to fight rapid transit.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 9:55 PM

Well. Hopefully this LRT project takes off. I'm leaving Hamilton for the summer, to return in September. Going back to London to work. I'm heading out tomorrow, going to Chicago this weekend, and hopefully some nice developments in the HSR are present in September when the next school year begins.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure