HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Report: O'Billovich to be Tiger-Cats' GM
TSN - The Sports Network

12/4/2007

It appears it will be up to Bob O'Billovich to turn things around in Hamilton.

According to CKNW Radio in Vancouver, O'Billovich will be announced as the new general manager of the Tiger-Cats on Wednesday.

The report indicates that, as late as Tuesday morning, O'Billovich was content to stay with the Lions as Player Personnel Director but the Tiger-Cats apparently sweetened the offer later in the day and lured the 25-year veteran away.

O'Billovich would replace Marcel Desjardins, who was fired after his first season with the Ticats, which resulted in a dismal 3-15 record.

Last month, media reports indicated the Tiger-Cats had reached out to Adam Rita of the Toronto Argonauts and Brendan Taman of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers but were not granted permission to talk to these candidates.

O'Billovich began his CFL career as a player in 1963 and then moved into the coaching ranks with the Ottawa Rough Riders in 1974.

In 1982, he took over the reigns of the Argonauts and went on to become the team's all-time leader in coaching wins, earning Coach of the Year honours twice and capturing the Grey Cup in 1983.

O'Billovich then spent three years with the Lions before returning to the Argonauts in 1993 as general manager and head coach. He went back with the Lions in 2003.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
Closed account

Sounds fun... let's just see how south things go once Lancaster gets a piece of him. yikes.

So maybe there'll be a lil BC chemistry once O'Billivich and Printers re-combine?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 7:21 PM
Closed account

Ticats season tickets come with guarantee
Dec, 11 2007 - 12:30 PM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - Season tickets for the 2008 Ticats season are now available.

The club is guaranteeing that if the team fails to make the playoffs next year, season ticket holders will receive a 25% credit towards the purchase of a 2009 season ticket.

The Cats have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons, winning just 12 of 54 games during that span.

Buying an '08 season ticket will also get you a ticket to the 2008 Vanier Cup at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Tickets are available by calling 905-547-CATS.

http://900chml.com/news/news_local.c...news_local.cfm

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 4:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Taaffe quitting Ticats: reports

January 10, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

Charlie Taaffe is reported to be bolting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a job at the University of West Virginia.

According to both the Charleston Daily Mail and the Charleston Gazette, the Cats’ head coach has accepted a job as offensive co-ordinator and quarterbacks coach at the school. If true, this shocking move leaves the Ticats’ top position open just two days after the team nearly completed its coaching staff with the hiring of Denny Creehan as defensive co-ordinator.

Bill Stewart, the Mountaineers’ new head coach, was the offensive line coach in Montreal when Taaffe was offensive co-ordinator with the Alouettes.

This news comes the day after news broke that another CFL head coach – Saskatchewan’s Kent Austin – is interviewing for the offensive co-ordinator’s job at Ole Miss.

The Ticats have not confirmed the story.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:17 PM
Closed account

Hmmmm, interesting!!!
I hope it's true. I don't know why they extended his contract in the 1st place!?!?

Sooo is Tom Higgins still looking for a job?? *crosses fingers*

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 6:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Taaffe only 50-50 to stay with Cats

January 11, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

Charlie Taaffe might not be returning to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats after all.

Cat GM Bob O’Billovich told the Spec this morning that Taaffe was still considering an offer last night to leave the Cats to join the staff of the West Virginia University Mountaineers.

“We left it that he would get back to us .He was comfortable with our situation but he wanted to talk it over with his family and make sure everything was ok. I got a feeling he wanted to sleep on it,” O’Billovich said, adding he expects to learn of Taaffe’s decision sometime today.

The GM said he puts the chances of Taaffe returning to Hamilton for a second season at no better than 50-50 at this point.

A West Virginia sports web site is also reporting that Taaffe is still considering the chance to rejoin old pal, recently hired West Virginia head coach Bill Stewart.  

The hurdle could be Taaffe’s contract status. He has two years remaining on his Cat contract , which sets up the possibility that Taaffe, West Virginia officials and Cat president Scott Mitchell may be in negotiations to determine what it would take to let Taaffe out of the deal so he could accept the West Virginia assistant coaching post.

O’Billovich said another factor could be Taaffe’s son Brian, a good QB who is seeking a scholarship to play college ball. That could be part of Taaffe’s attraction to the West Virginia job.

“Maybe that is part of it, who knows?” O’Billovich said.

Mitchell told the Spectator yesterday that Taaffe would be returning to Hamilton after being convinced that he remains part of the club’s long-term plans.

Taaffe earns close to $300,000 a season, a figure that West Virginia could likely surpass.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:05 PM
Closed account

frig! I was hoping he was gone.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
Closed account

$300,000!! wow, is that the going rate for sub-par coaching in the cfl? i could coach the cats to a 3 win season for that salary.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Closed account

heck, I'd take $100,000 and guaruntee them 1 win!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 2:42 AM
It's Hammer Time

Sources: NFL has approved plan for Bills to play eight games in Toronto

TORONTO - The National Football League has reached an agreement with the Buffalo Bills that will allow them to play eight games in Toronto over the next five years, starting in 2008.

Two sources requesting anonymity said Wednesday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will make the announcement Friday at his state-of-the-union address in Arizona. The Bills, as well as the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL, would then hold a joint news conference in Toronto next week to officially unveil the details.

That, though, was news to Argos co-owner David Cynamon.

"I have no idea, I swear," he said when contacted Wednesday. "I know about the Bills potentially coming here for games, but that's it."

Brian McCarthy, the NFL's Director of Corporate Communications, had no comment on the issue.

"The Commissioner's annual news conference is Friday," McCarthy said in an e-mail. "We anticipate this will come up during the news conference along with many other matters."

News of the NFL's approval isn't surprising.

The sources said the Bills will play a regular-season game at Rogers Centre in 2008 after the CFL season, avoiding possible conflicts with both the Argos and Ticats. As part of that deal, season-ticket holders with both clubs will be given some sort of priority at purchasing tickets to Buffalo's game here.

However, a Toronto all-sports radio station reported the Bills' agreement only ensures that the 2008 game won't conflict with the CFL schedule and that it wasn't clear whether that stipulation would also apply to the other four years of the deal.

The Fan also reported tickets would be done via lottery, with first crack going to Argos and Ticats season-ticket holders, then Bills season-ticket holders. The average price would reportedly be C$250 a game and fans would have to purchase all eight tickets and pay for them upfront.

In October, Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. asked the NFL for permission to play eight home games in Toronto over five years, beginning in 2008. Buffalo would play one regular-season contest each year at Rogers Centre, with three exhibition contests sprinkled in over the five-year span.

The plan, Wilson said, was to an attempt to expand the Bills market as well as its fan base by playing games in a more vibrant Toronto marketplace. The hope would be that playing games in Canada might result in more Canadian businesses purchasing the high-end seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The Bills attract a solid group of fans from southern Ontario - between 10,000 and 15,000 per game, depending on the opponent. Metro Toronto boasts a population of about five million people, compared to just 1.25 million for the metro Buffalo area. Another factor, too, is the strength of the Canadian dollar and the health of the southern Ontario economy compared the economic sluggishness currently plaguing Western New York.

That has prompted many to see the Bills' plan as their first step towards relocating to the richer, more financially appealing Toronto marketplace. Wilson, 89, fanned those flames last summer when he announced he wouldn't sell the Buffalo franchise in his lifetime but that it would be sold the highest bidder upon his death.

Talk of the NFL coming to Toronto has existed since the 1970s. But the combination of Wilson's statement, the Bills' playing regular-season games at Rogers Centre, the strength of the Canadian dollar and deep pockets of the Toronto NFL group headed up by Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum has many believing the NFL's arrival here is inevitable.

Cynamon and Argos co-owner Howard Sokolowski obviously think so, too. They reportedly spoke to CFL commissioner Mark Cohon and the other league owners about buying an NFL franchise for Toronto to ensure the Argos' long-term survival in the city.

The overwhelming belief is that if the NFL does come to Toronto, it will not only spell the end of the Argos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but ultimately kill the CFL. But in November Cohon said he has a strong line of communication with Goodell and that the NFL commissioner's top priority is protecting the CFL's eight member franchises.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 1:42 PM
Closed account

Ya, I saw this on SportsCentre last night.

I wish they would play a game at Ivor Wynn... but 30,000 seats is just not nearly enough for NFL standards. Hell, Roger's Ctr's 50,000+ seats aren't enough for the NFL!

Could this be the demise of the CFL?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 9:56 PM
On Guard For Thee

Well, there is certainly legitimate concern in Buffalo about the future of the Bills given this turn of events and Wilson's statement that the franchise will go to the highest bidder upon his demise.

That being said, how much of a game changer would an NFL franchise in Toronto really be to the CFL. I personally don't see a mass exodus of the Argos fan base, given the relative weakness of the Argos in the market in the first place, the lack of much overlap in the NFL/CFL schedules and the fact that the T.O.ers who abandoned the CFL for the NFL did so years ago. Heck, it might even raise the profile of the came in general and stimulate some interest in the Argos.

The Rogers Centre is a dreadful facility--the only thing worse than seeing football there is seeing baseball there. In some ways I think it may be worse than Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

As for the death of CFL, that's something that has been speculated about for as long as I've been alive. Toronto aside the league is healthy--I recommend a visit to a game in Western Canada or MTL to confirm this.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:06 PM

Personally , I've never bought into the perceived NFL threat to the CFL. The NFL plays a grand total of 8 home regular season home games per year. And mostly on Sundays.
There are 6 days per week during the 10 week overlap for the CFL to draw a crowd.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:27 PM

As an NFL fan, who doesn't like the CFL. I am pumped for this news. i'm a casual fan, who doesn't have a specific team to cheer for, but will cheer for a Toronto NFL team for sure if moved there. Currently I consider myself a hybrid Packers/Colts/Bills fan.

The CFL doesn't interest me at all, so it wouldn't hurt me. I can see it affecting majorly the teams here and in Toronto. But that's not a big deal really.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:41 PM
Closed account

i'd be so pissed if i were a...buffalonian? whatever, i'd be very upset.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ticats Reject Rogers Proposal For NFL Games In Toronto

Hamilton, ON - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that contrary to earlier reports, the team will not participate with Rogers Stadium Limited Partnership that will bring eight Buffalo Bills games to The Rogers Centre in Toronto.

"We feel that bringing NFL games to stadiums in Canada without a comprehensive agreement between the CFL and the NFL will lead to unintended consequences, not all of them good," said Bob Young, owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the 139-year old Canadian Football League franchise that plays at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario.

"The CFL is Canada's premier professional sports league, as the NFL is the premier sports league in the US. We are looking forward to a mutually beneficial agreement resulting from discussions between the CFL and NFL," added Young.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 1:13 AM
Closed account

good! As a Bills fan and a Cats fan I want nothing to do with this idiotic idea.
mind you, I'm still peeved that the Pats lost the superbowl. Now we have to put up with Don Shula and his band of idiots until they die.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 4:22 AM
Hammer'd

Why were we supposed to co-operate when the games wouldn't even be here anyway? Ted Rogers has deep pockets, if he wants it so bad he can go for it on his own.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
i'd be so pissed if i were a...buffalonian? whatever, i'd be very upset.
Did someone say balogna ('balonie')??? hahahaha What a crazy word! Like Haligonian for ppl from Halifax!

Well I'm glad Bob Young is taking the side of the CFL. Toronto seems to be in dire need of American acceptance for some reason? I don't quite understand.

If the NFL moves to Toronto, the CFL will die... no doubt. It may resurface in the west, but Hamilton would then be without a single full-pro sporting team.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:11 PM
Closed account

Ticats will open '08 CFL season vs. Montreal
Feb, 21 2008 - 6:40 AM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The 2008 CFL schedule has been released this morning, and the Tiger-Cats and Alouettes will kick off the season on Thursday June 26th.

It will be the 1st time since 1977 that Ivor Wynne Stadium will host the league's season opening game.

The Labour Day classic on September 1st against the Argos will be a 7:30 start at Ivor Wynne.

The Cats will also visit Montreal on Thanksgiving.

Hamilton's pre-season games are June 12th against Winnipeg, and June 19th in Toronto.

Montreal will host the 96th Grey Cup on Sunday, November 23rd.

http://900chml.com/news/news_local.c...news_local.cfm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation