HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 2:55 AM

Porter air

To get to Toronto Island is easy as pie.
park your vehicle at Barton and Nash and hop the bus to Burlington with the train transfer you are at Union in an hr.
Walk out the front door and take the tunnel to the Royal York under Front Street. Go to the far (west end) side and walk around the corner on York Street. The shuttle is there every 15 mins or so.
With a short ride to the ferry terminal and a quick hop on the ferry. All enclosed,
No line-ups, no parking and save coin. $19 return to T.O.
Met a guy that lived in Hamilton and worked in Ottawa and travelled the route a couple times a week. I think he said about 3 hrs from Hamilton to his work at near the Ottawa airport.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:40 PM

Bad news – good news!

Bad news. From my contacts at YHM, FlyGoGojet will not be coming to Hamilton this year but going to Toronto. Their web site is down today.

Good new. They hope to announce latter this week or early next week flights to 2 European destinations out of Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Bad news – good news!

Bad news. From my contacts at YHM, FlyGoGojet will not be coming to Hamilton this year but going to Toronto. Their web site is down today.
It's been down since the end of last week, actually...

Quote:
Good new. They hope to announce latter this week or early next week flights to 2 European destinations out of Hamilton.
Who is "they", in this context?

If you're saying FGG are NOT coming to YHM, are we to assume these YHM-EUR flights won't start until next year?

Or is this another carrier altogether? The second part of your post is far from clear...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
It's been down since the end of last week, actually...

Who is "they", in this context?

If you're saying FGG are NOT coming to YHM, are we to assume these YHM-EUR flights won't start until next year?

Or is this another carrier altogether? The second part of your post is far from clear...
Both destinations are Eastern European and are for this summer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:59 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Air Show back after 10 years, set for June 18-19

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...for-june-18-19

After a 10-year hiatus, the Hamilton Air Show is back off the ground.

“We’re all very excited about it,” said Dave Rohrer, CEO of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. “Bringing the air show back to Hamilton is a good thing for the airport community, a good thing for the City of Hamilton and it’ll be a positive step for the museum.”

According to Rohrer, at least a dozen of the museum’s vintage military aircraft will fly in the show at John C. Munro Airport on June 18 and 19. Planes will also be brought in from Gatineau, Tillsonburg and New York State.

The show will also feature seminars by pilots and guest speakers as well as a large contingent of planes on the ground.

Rohrer said the 2011 show will be used as a “dry run” for the museum’s 40th anniversary. Planned for Father’s Day weekend in 2012, the anniversary air show will be a chance for the community to recognize the museum’s founders and the sacrifices of those who have contributed to the museum over the past four decades.

The once-annual event has been defunct since 2001, when it lost $100,000 and could no longer afford skyrocketing insurance premiums in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

“Air shows aren’t known for making money, but at least you have to be able to break even,” Rohrer said.

“We’ll only do what’s prudent and rational from a fiscal point of view,” he added.

The museum is working with airport tenants, the city and Transport Canada to iron out the plans and intends to appeal to both the city and private sponsors for financial support.

Councillor Brenda Johnson wouldn’t comment on whether the city intends to help fund the event, but said she’s put museum officials in touch with Tourism Hamilton and the planning and economic development department to discuss funding options.

“It’s in the early stages right now, we’re just going to see what all the partners are willing to contribute,” she said.

Don Schofield, a professional pilot with more than 50 years of military and commercial flying experience, said he was “heartbroken” when the show was cancelled in 2001.

Since 1989, the 69-year-old has been at the controls of the museum’s famous Lancaster — one of just two of the big Second World War bombers that can still fly.

Schofield will resume his post in the famed plane for this year’s show and said he’s thrilled he’ll once again have a chance to bring a part of Canada’s military history to life.

He said he’ll find it particularly gratifying to perform for Second World War veterans who might not have many more opportunities to see the Lancaster take flight.

“For people like that, the history, the nostalgia and the sentiment is absolutely immense,” he said. “A lot of them are aware it might be the last time in their lives that they’ll see it.”

But his focus is also on a younger crowd.

“We’re not in the business to glorify conflict in any way,” he said. “But we want to show the younger generation of Canadians the rich heritage and rich legacy of their forefathers. We want to tell the story of Canada in those difficult years.”

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton airport takes another shot at Europe

Hamilton airport is back in the international travel business, at least for the summer.

Staring in May, a St. Catharine-based travel company will be offering weekly flights from Hamilton directly to Budapest in Hungary, Krakow in Poland and Prague in Czech Republic.

The tours will be operated by Panorama Travel & Tours, which specializes in the central European market. The aircraft, Boeing 767s, will be provided by a division of Air Italy group.

“We’re very happy to see this new development,” said Richard Koroscil, president of John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. “We hope to see this grow and expand into the post-summer season quickly.”

Koroscil said the new venture hopes to put as many as 18,000 passengers through Hamilton airport in its first season.

In a news release, Panorama vice-president Ziggy (Zbigniew) Kucharski said area residents with roots in the destination countries will likely make good use of the service.

“These new flights are a unique offering to the ethnic communities as well as tourists, heading to Central Europe. From Hamilton Airport — which is easy and friendly to use — our passengers will fly non-stop to and from Central Europe. By avoiding the crowds and congestion at other airports, our passengers’ vacation experience will be that much more enjoyable.”

Bookings are available online at www.FlyCentralEurope.com. Roundtrip prices start at $799 plus taxes with service on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Flights will depart and return Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...shot-at-europe

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 1:15 AM

Told you it was coming.

Air Italy B767-200ER

Last edited by LikeHamilton; Jan 27, 2011 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 6:00 AM

Awesome. Prices aren't that remarkable, but not bad for summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hamilton airport takes another shot at Europe

Hamilton airport is back in the international travel business, at least for the summer.

Staring in May, a St. Catharine-based travel company will be offering weekly flights from Hamilton directly to Budapest in Hungary, Krakow in Poland and Prague in Czech Republic.

The tours will be operated by Panorama Travel & Tours, which specializes in the central European market. The aircraft, Boeing 767s, will be provided by a division of Air Italy group.

“We’re very happy to see this new development,” said Richard Koroscil, president of John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. “We hope to see this grow and expand into the post-summer season quickly.”

Koroscil said the new venture hopes to put as many as 18,000 passengers through Hamilton airport in its first season.

In a news release, Panorama vice-president Ziggy (Zbigniew) Kucharski said area residents with roots in the destination countries will likely make good use of the service.

“These new flights are a unique offering to the ethnic communities as well as tourists, heading to Central Europe. From Hamilton Airport — which is easy and friendly to use — our passengers will fly non-stop to and from Central Europe. By avoiding the crowds and congestion at other airports, our passengers’ vacation experience will be that much more enjoyable.”

Bookings are available online at www.FlyCentralEurope.com. Roundtrip prices start at $799 plus taxes with service on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Flights will depart and return Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...shot-at-europe

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 2:21 PM

That's a pretty damn good niche to target

The operating airline was set up by the guy that founded Air Europe, though - which is dire (I have first-hand experience). Lack of info on just what to expect in terms of seat pitch, service, etc. puts up a red flag for me, but then again I ain't their target market.

As someone posted on the Spac, ex-BUF fares will still attrack the price-conscious - but I suspect we're talking a 2-stop trip as the alternative, which may well make the price differential attractive to many.

Good luck to 'em - hope they do really well, and this might be able to grow and attract some other complementary services to YHM!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:28 PM

Flight schedule:

Krakow, Poland
Hamilton – Krakow Sunday Dep: 19.50 Arr: 10.30+1
Krakow – Hamilton Friday Dep: 11.00 Arr: 14.35

Prague, Czech Republic
Hamilton – Prague Friday Dep: 16.35 Arr: 06.55+1
Prague – Hamilton Saturday Dep: 12.00 Arr: 15.15

Budapest, Hungary
Hamilton – Budapest Saturday Dep: 17.15 Arr: 07.55+1
Budapest – Hamilton Sunday Dep: 14.00 Arr: 17.50

The flights will be operated by Air Italy Polska, a division of Air Italy Group.

http://www.airitalypolska.com/

I checked the air fares from Hamilton, Toronto and Buffalo and they are within a few dollars of each other at the low end. Out of Toronto they are 1, 2 & 3 stop flights. Out of Buffalo they are 2 & 3 stop flights. Out of Hamilton the big advantage is non-stop. The upgrade to first class is only around $200 to $300 dollars more instead of thousands with the other airlines.

Last edited by LikeHamilton; Jan 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

I would love to go to Budapest.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
The upgrade to first class is only around $200 to $300 dollars more instead of thousands with the other airlines.
First class..? I think not! I suspect we're talking biz class at US legacy carrier standards, at best (ie non lie-flat seats, in terms of hard product - increased baggage allowance, priority boarding etc is a given, YHM has no lounge that I'm aware of so no upgrade perk equivalent there).

As you seem to be so well-informed, any idea on seat pitch? Start/end dates of service? And put some exact numbers on your comparisons (actual dates of flight and prices for the examples you refer to above?)

BTW, not trying to have a pop at you here - genuinely interested as to what they're offering here. At least two of these routes are of interest to co-workers of mine. But if we're talking Globespan levels of "service", I know they'd prefer an indirect route and consistent level of quality hands down (and, IIRC with Globespan, many pax that had been given inflated expectations by the airline felt the same after the event). An airline can't survive without decent repeat business and positive word of mouth...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
First class..? I think not! I suspect we're talking biz class at US legacy carrier standards, at best (ie non lie-flat seats, in terms of hard product - increased baggage allowance, priority boarding etc is a given, YHM has no lounge that I'm aware of so no upgrade perk equivalent there).

As you seem to be so well-informed, any idea on seat pitch? Start/end dates of service? And put some exact numbers on your comparisons (actual dates of flight and prices for the examples you refer to above?)

BTW, not trying to have a pop at you here - genuinely interested as to what they're offering here. At least two of these routes are of interest to co-workers of mine. But if we're talking Globespan levels of "service", I know they'd prefer an indirect route and consistent level of quality hands down (and, IIRC with Globespan, many pax that had been given inflated expectations by the airline felt the same after the event). An airline can't survive without decent repeat business and positive word of mouth...
Club Seats (12 seats)
The Club Seats offer extra wide, comfortable leather seats that recline up to 120 degrees and have a seat pitch of 40 inches.

Economy Seats (241 seats)
(Looks like and Info is hard to find) 32 – 34 inch pitch and some at 38 inches. You pay extra for the 38 inch seats.

Extra Luggage
Flycentraleurope offers two classes, Club seats at 46 Kilos per passenger and Economy Seats at 23 Kilos per passenger.

Looks like flights are from May 27th to September 25th

When I checked the seat prices I used the same destinations and dates for all 3 cities.

No I am not going to look up the prices unless you are going and buy them from me so I can make some money. Other wise use the cheapest way…the internet and go to one on the search engines that do multiple sites. As of this morning the flights from Hamilton where not on any of them. They may not get there, as they are charters flights.

Or go to:

https://www.flycentraleurope.com/

Air Canada’s Executive First runs from $1424 to $4808 one-way plus tax for the dates I checked.

Even if Buffalo or Toronto are cheaper, book Hamilton! Time saved is worth money and parking or transportation to Hamilton is much cheaper.

I have just booked 3 different flights to 3 destinations in the past week. One from Hamilton and 2 from Buffalo so I have seen how it works.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
When I checked the seat prices I used the same destinations and dates for all 3 cities.

No I am not going to look up the prices unless you are going and buy them from me so I can make some money.
If you can't back up your claims with proof points, then fine. No need to get hostile and patronising!

(are you a travel agent, then? FWIW I've not used a TA for years, I do very well researching and buying my own fares for family and friends from a variery of sources - but as you were making claims about certain savings based on some frankly dubious product comparisons, that warranted calling you on it, IMO)

Quote:
Air Canada’s Executive First runs from $1424 to $4808 one-way plus tax for the dates I checked.
Right... but you can't compare 40" seat pitch to international exec first. If we were talking domestic/transborder, then you might have a point. But unless you're unlucky/stupid enough to think about paying full whack for exec first on one of the three old-style 767-300s that usually do the summer sun destinations, this isn't a fair comparison. And it's pretty disinegenuous to argue the point on these grounds!

Pedantry aside, if we really *are* talking 32-34" pitch for regular economy seating, they've got the makings of a competitive product.

Not disagreeing with you in the slightest re. wanting to fly YHM - not at ALL! - wish they'd bring back services to Vancouver, Montreal and Clearwater/St Petes (latter was great, two small but functional airports = low hassle!) but am not holding my breath.. And I made exactly the same points as you wrt the benefits/value proposition this new outfit has to offer - it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Now, if only they'd start selling the Hamilton-Chicago segments... I'd be *very* interested in that!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
No need to get hostile and patronising!
Sorry if I came across that way. Trying to get some work out of the way and watching the blog on the stadium at the same time. Stretching my minds resources to far! Used to be a TA.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:23 PM

FWIW, I have done a best-fare price comparison on economy seats YHM-PRG vs. YYZ-PRG and BUF-PRG fro travel departing first week of Sept returning the third week of Sept, and these are the results:

YHM $1184 (FlyCentralEurope, non-stop both directions, 8.5hr travel time)
YYZ $1245.56 (Air France, 1 stop each way, 11hr travel time going over, 12h coming back)
BUF $998.87 (LOT airlines, 2 stops each way, 20hrs total travel time going over, 15 hrs coming back)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 11:33 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

wow good for YHM. where's PRG?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
wow good for YHM. where's PRG?
Prague, Czech Republic

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I came across that way. Trying to get some work out of the way and watching the blog on the stadium at the same time. Stretching my minds resources to far! Used to be a TA.
That's cool! Similarly, hope my posts weren't coming across as narky. Damn these multi-tasking lifestyles we all seem to lead these days

I used to book flights as a college part-time job, but wouldn't stretch it to calling myself a TA(!) - it was for a dedicated travel unit that was part of (what turned out to be a very dodgy) timeshare company (which we were thankfully very much a separate entity from - although the full-timers had some payroll woes towards the end....)

Back on-topic: from markbarbera's figures, that looks a pretty damn attractive proposition. Maybe here's where YHM comes in to its own (crosses fingers). Perhaps we can end up as the GTA's equivalent to STN/LTN (Stansted/Luton airports in relation to greater London, UK)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:16 PM

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...nt-for-airport

Bratina mulls outside management for airport

Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina has floated the idea of outsourcing management of Hamilton .

He made the suggestion at a conference of Toronto-region leaders last week.

In an interview after Monday’s State of the City address to the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, Bratina said the comment was made during discussions about the need for more cooperation in the Toronto-region. He said it was raised in the context of offering up control in exchange for a food terminal serving Hamilton, Niagara and points west.

And while having the Greater Toronto Airports Authority take over John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport isn’t something he’s actively promoting, Bratina thinks the idea should be on the table for discussion.

“I’m not promoting that it should happen, I gave it as an example,” he said. “I’m not actively advocating right now any change in the structure of how our airport is operated, but I would say everything should be on the table in terms of how we’re collaborating regionally and doing the best for the taxpayer.”

Hamilton airport is owned by the city but managed by a private company under a long-term lease. Tradeport International signed a 40-year lease to operate the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport back in 1996.

Bratina noted the Metrolinx agency now controls commuter rail service in the Toronto region and wondered if a similar structure to manage the area’s airports made sense.

“We have to look at as many issues as we can,” he said. “It’s certainly worth sitting down in a room and discussing it.”

Once little more than a home for a local flying club, Hamilton airport has found success in recent years as a cargo airport, prospering because it has no curfew on night flights. It has struggled, however, as a passenger operation. Currently it handles only 13 passenger flights a week.

Any deal with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, Bratina suggested, might involve shifting Toronto cargo operations here. He also noted Toronto airport is struggling to find the capacity for all the passenger flights that airlines want to run through there, suggesting some of those flights could be directed to Hamilton.

Bratina dismissed as “ridiculous” any suggestion Hamilton airport would be closed by Toronto owners in favour of the long-dormant idea of a second Toronto airport in Pickering.

Richard Koroscil, president of Hamilton airport, said he wasn’t disturbed by the mayor’s speculation.

“The city owns the airport and I see that continuing,” he said.

While the GTAA has land for a Pickering airport, Koroscil noted the idea still has to be submitted to a full environmental assessment and because of that is possibly decades away from approval.

Putting a second airport east of Toronto also makes little sense when the major direction for growth is to the west, he added.

sarnold@thespec.com

905-526-3496

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure