HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:00 PM
video et taceo

The opposite thread

I think it is pretty clear that these are polarized times, and that many of us, myself included, find it frustrating that the way we see things is not the way others do. After all, polarization comes from a place of deep concern, and the psychological mechanism that ratchets it up comes from our worry that if our most deeply held values are not shared, we could see a future in which they are not respected or observed.

That said, such processes also take on a life of their own, because all things that exist wish to continue doing so, and the result can be a dimmer understanding of the world around us as the ol' amygdala takes over more and more of our thinking.

So this is the opposite thread, and in it, I propose we take various fragments of the Canadian current events landscape and comment on them from what we might perceive as "the other side", and thus try and inhabit these perspectives and see what they look like from the inside.

It would be too easy to make this into an exercise in satire, so please, none of the "to find Flanders, you have to think like Flanders" approach where thinking like Flanders means going "I'm a big four-eyed lame-o" etc.

Video Link

This should instead be more of a high school debate-type thing where you actually argue the other side.

Let's stick to Canada and mainstream news outlets so that we are not tempted to reach for strange foreign dictators or wild-eyed fringe figures from the US.

I'll start:

B.C. premier says it's 'outrageous' people are travelling to Vancouver Island, but has no plans to stop it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...inue-1.5978321

What this story says to me is that our governing bodies lack both the willingness and the legal ability to take the actions necessary to stamp out COVID-19.

Given the spread of many new dangerous variants, and the localized nature of infection processes, Canadians need to give serious thought to implementing practices that curb internal travel within our provinces.
Whether this takes the form of enhanced tracking or a new technological overlay, our battle against COVID-19 is far from over and our governments need new and broader powers to do whatever is necessary to bring the case rate to zero, as is the focus in New Zealand.

Last edited by kool maudit; Apr 8, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Well, as a bayman, I am goddamn sick and tired of people sitting on their arses in St. John's robbing us blind.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 9, 2021 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Well, as a bayman, I am goddamn sick and tired of people sitting on their arses in St. John's robbing us blind. ...
This really doesn't sound like you. You are usually so pro St. John's.

@ kool maudit, good catch, Horgan is speaking out of both sides of his mouth, and ends up doing nothing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:43 AM
perhaps . . .

"False equivalency," is not a favourite expression of mine, but: a lot of the polarization of these times is based upon false equivalencies. Among the people who believe in reason and science, there is no more polarization than usual.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:55 AM
video et taceo

Spoken like a true man of the Enlightenment!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I think it is pretty clear that these are polarized times, and that many of us, myself included, find it frustrating that the way we see things is not the way others do. After all, polarization comes from a place of deep concern, and the psychological mechanism that ratchets it up comes from our worry that if our most deeply held values are not shared, we could see a future in which they are not respected or observed.

That said, such processes also take on a life of their own, because all things that exist wish to continue doing so, and the result can be a dimmer understanding of the world around us as the ol' amygdala takes over more and more of our thinking.

So this is the opposite thread, and in it, I propose we take various fragments of the Canadian current events landscape and comment on them from what we might perceive as "the other side", and thus try and inhabit these perspectives and see what they look like from the inside.

It would be too easy to make this into an exercise in satire, so please, none of the "to find Flanders, you have to think like Flanders" approach where thinking like Flanders means going "I'm a big four-eyed lame-o" etc.
Polarization isn't about caring; it's about winning an imaginary fight against an imaginary enemy. It's an exercise in buying ready-to-beat strawmen from people on your "side" and flogging the shit out of the strawmen for the approval of the same people. It's nothing but a late stage in a still-endless culture war, its combatants whittled down to the dumbest and most brutal. Engaging in polarized conversation is impossible without sinking to this level.
An exercise in satire is too fine an instrument in a world of cudgels and flint hatchets.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

We could go all George Costanza here.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:55 AM
video et taceo

Exactly! We will unlock hidden powers.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 9:01 AM
video et taceo

By the way, I am really excited to see Mark Carney step onto the stage of Canadian politics. All too often, our country twists in a wind of distractions, debating issues that would be handled far better by expert policymakers than by the messy tumult of opinion page cranks arousing inaccurate passions in unqualified hosts.

We elect our leaders to -- you guessed it -- lead, and Carney's experience in the halls of London power and in the data-driven world of central banking that ensures our collective wealth means he is a cut above the strange roosters pushed before us by small-time horse traders and regional mountebanks.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-controversies

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't think about it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Well, as a bayman, I am goddamn sick and tired of people sitting on their arses in St. John's robbing us blind.

Let's see the glass half-full: that multimillion dollar building is at least cheaper than Muskrat Falls

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Logic and Migs are polar opposites. The twain shall never meet.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:49 PM
video et taceo

Ideally you would have praised his erudition and common sense, given the premise.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
By the way, I am really excited to see Mark Carney step onto the stage of Canadian politics. All too often, our country twists in a wind of distractions, debating issues that would be handled far better by expert policymakers than by the messy tumult of opinion page cranks arousing inaccurate passions in unqualified hosts.

We elect our leaders to -- you guessed it -- lead, and Carney's experience in the halls of London power and in the data-driven world of central banking that ensures our collective wealth means he is a cut above the strange roosters pushed before us by small-time horse traders and regional mountebanks.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-controversies

Doug Ford has faced a significant amount of criticism as of late for his handling of COVID, the provincial "emergency brake" and recent stay at home order. Some people say that it doesn't make sense to close small scale retail and patios while allowing things like major industrial operators and schools to remain open. While it's true that there may not be much spread associated with the former (and most with the latter) it's more important to send a message to Ontarians that everyone has to do their part while ensuring that the backbone of our economy continues to function unabated. It's important to hear this strong messaging to remind people that they can't get complacent, and that we come out of this on a strong economic footing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:23 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

But how do we know what the opposite really is?
Some things have multiple opposites, and some things have no opposite.
What is the opposite of middle class?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
But how do we know what the opposite really is?
Some things have multiple opposites, and some things have no opposite.
What is the opposite of middle class?

Your mirror image is in no way your opposite.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:46 PM
ハルウララ

I think this thread is a great idea and I look forward to it thriving into the future.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think this thread is a great idea and I look forward to it thriving into the future.
Your post is one of the worst I've ever read on SSP.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 9:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This thread is tailor-made for our era of unparallelled self-awareness and self-deprecation, where almost no one takes themselves, their pet issues or pet causes too seriously.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:08 AM
BANNED

Opposite thread?

I think that Via should be shut down. If it cannot make a profit, it shouldn't exist.

I think roads should not be widened more than a lane each way unless it is in gridlock.

I think all cities should be nothing but high rises.

This is fun.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada