HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a double lane "dogbone" roundabout at the Dieppe/Harrisville Blvd interchange with Highway 11/15 here in Moncton. The diameter of the roundabout at the on/off ramps from 11/15 are pretty tight. Normally it works pretty well, but Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd connects the Caledonia Industrial Park in Moncton and the Dieppe Industrial Park in Dieppe, and truck traffic is pretty heavy. Given the tight turning radius of the dogbone, anytime an 18 wheeler goes through, it occupied both lanes of the roundabout.

This is pretty well known in Moncton, and we have adapted, and are cautious entering the roundabout whenever a tractor trailer is going through, but this could be a surprise for non residents navigating the interchange. I'm surprised I have never heard of any accidents here.
Give it time. Covid has obviously reduced normal economic activity and I know what you mean in the Dog bone. I did just as you say coming off the Highway at that roundabout when a Tractor Trailer entered first. I let him have whatever room he wanted.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is a double lane "dogbone" roundabout at the Dieppe/Harrisville Blvd interchange with Highway 11/15 here in Moncton. The diameter of the roundabout at the on/off ramps from 11/15 are pretty tight. Normally it works pretty well, but Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd connects the Caledonia Industrial Park in Moncton and the Dieppe Industrial Park in Dieppe, and truck traffic is pretty heavy. Given the tight turning radius of the dogbone, anytime an 18 wheeler goes through, it occupied both lanes of the roundabout.

This is pretty well known in Moncton, and we have adapted, and are cautious entering the roundabout whenever a tractor trailer is going through, but this could be a surprise for non residents navigating the interchange. I'm surprised I have never heard of any accidents here.
Why didn't they just construct a DDI instead? Roundabouts are okay in some areas but overpasses in high traffic areas is just dumb. Why are we behind the times out here?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 3:13 PM

I'm just looking at that diagram and am already confused. Am I correct in that it shows traffic traveling on the opposite-of-normal sides of the road across the overpass?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm just looking at that diagram and am already confused. Am I correct in that it shows traffic traveling on the opposite-of-normal sides of the road across the overpass?
It looks like a riff on a diverging diamond? Just a lot less efficient it seems.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
It looks like a riff on a diverging diamond? Just a lot less efficient it seems.
I'm just not sure what I'm seeing there. If you look at the main highway, vehicles exiting can either take the right side of the ramp to turn to the right, or take the left lane to use the overpass. But I must be misinterpreting what I think are arrow symbols on the road because there is no way for those vehicles to get to what looks like the lanes on the left side of the overpass to get across.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No, traffic travels in the proper direction, on the right side of the normal traffic flow. There is a concrete median on the overpass.

As I said, it works surprisingly well, you just have to pay attention to what lane you are in entering the dog bone. The only issue is with 18 wheelers because they take up both lanes going around the ends of the roundabout.

As long as you give the tractor trailers a wide berth, everything else is fine.

This is one of only a handful of dogbone roundabouts in all of North America.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
That's what I thought originally but the diagram doesn't seem very clear - it doesn't show the diverging lane change, and then for some reason they added a roundabout in it which also doesn't make much sense; kinda defeats the purpose of a DDI in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:05 AM

I noticed Google Earth has new satellite photos of the Halifax area taken in April 2020. You can see the cleared path for this freeway. The bridge structures for Akerley and Burnside are started and the interchange for future development in Bedford is cleared. The cleared area ends about a kilometre east of Lily Lake (Rocky Lake Road).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 1:12 PM

this link showing a video of the Armdale roundabout seems to explain the how efficient roundabouts can be...remember when the local rule of "give one, take one" was in effect.

Unfortunately, tourists never got the memo.

https://twitter.com/jvangurp/status/1357845830439493632

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 6:40 PM

The "local rule" has been supplanted by a more efficient rule of in the roundabout right of way over out of roundabout (which is frankly more intuitive). No need to hope tourists understand a quaint local way of doing things, just follow the flow. The video seems to support it being highly effective.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 7:45 PM

Much has been happening here in recent weeks. A few photos from May 23/24 (all by me):

The process of joining the new section to the existing 107 began this past Wednesday; according to NSTIR the work is taking place 24/7 until mid-August.

This will lead from the southern roundabout (between the overpass and the existing Akerley Blvd) to the 107 eastbound.

View from the approach to the overpass.

Top of the ramp. It splits into two lanes, the one in the foreground is a slip lane bringing traffic directly onto the overpass; the other leads into the northern roundabout.

Future Burnside development. Bottom image is the extension of Akerley Blvd.

(edit: resized)

Last edited by Mr. Hunt; May 30, 2021 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 8:04 PM

Looking toward the overpass; the multi-use trail is on the left.

The other side of the overpass. The right lane is a slip lane bringing traffic directly onto the current Akerley Blvd.

Facing the roundabout from Akerley. The right lane is a slip lane to Wilkinson Ave.

(edits: fixed last image link, resized)

Last edited by Mr. Hunt; May 30, 2021 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 10:56 AM

These pictures make the lanes seem undersized and the turning radius of many too tight for the expected heavy truck traffic. Time will tell.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:30 AM

A couple more from June 5:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 11:17 AM

Wow this is coming along much faster than I thought it would. Does anyone know how far they've gone with the clearing/gravel bed?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:15 PM

This is from May 14. As far as gravel bed is concerned, I don't think they've gone much further than that. (I haven't ventured down to the other overpass yet) I'm guessing the large culvert is going to be used to make an underpass for the rail line.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 2:02 PM

MLA Kelly Regan has a bunch of photos of the construction on here Faceboook page.

Source: Facebook - KellyReganNS

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 3:54 PM

Nice! I've been wanting to see some overhead shots or video.

And do I see a slip lane from Wilkinson to the 107 onramp?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:33 PM

Looks like the trucks are already confused by the roundabout even in the construction phase...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:20 PM

Looks great so far!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure