HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:52 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Robie seems like a good example of a route that can be turned into a transit corridor. It has a lot of infill potential and runs past the universities and hospitals. It is good that the plan is to serve it with the BRT "green line", which continues on to Lacewood. I could see something like that route becoming LRT one day, although the grade around Fairview might be challenging.
I wonder, if the best route for an LRT would be somehow from downtown, along Barrington St. out to the Fairview Railyards and directly up Main Ave. and onto Washmill Lake Rd. This could even go straight up into Bayers Lake if the 102 overpass could be widened and possibly dropped down a bit at street level. I am not an urban planner, but feel with the huge influx of population along that route could be well served. As well if another LRT would intersect Main at Dunbrack, this run could go all along Dunbrack, out to a reconfigured area to connect Sryfield at that end and go all the way out the 102/Kearney Lake and follow along the 102 out to Larry Uteck.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This is a road along a future BRT transit route, bike route, walking distance to anything you'd conceivably need, and as such one of the most desirable places to live in town. Looks like lots of commercial space to fill in the lot.

Cladding is going to make or break this one for sure, though. If it's all dark spandrel like the Vuze I'll have some words.
Agreed. If anywhere deserves height, it’s here. But I’d rather wait for a great building then see something mediocre erected.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I wonder, if the best route for an LRT would be somehow from downtown, along Barrington St. out to the Fairview Railyards and directly up Main Ave. and onto Washmill Lake Rd. This could even go straight up into Bayers Lake if the 102 overpass could be widened and possibly dropped down a bit at street level. I am not an urban planner, but feel with the huge influx of population along that route could be well served. As well if another LRT would intersect Main at Dunbrack, this run could go all along Dunbrack, out to a reconfigured area to connect Sryfield at that end and go all the way out the 102/Kearney Lake and follow along the 102 out to Larry Uteck.
The way the area developed it almost seems like 2 routes in that section that intertwine might be better (in the long run); below the hill along the water and another at the top of the hill that connects to Kearney Lake Rd & Hammonds Plains. The abandoned spur from Joe Howe area that wraps up around Fairmont then across to Dunbrack (like you had mentioned) might be worth a shot. And a 2nd route along Bedford Hwy adjacent to the water next to the CN rail route, including overhead pedways to connect to the Bedford Hwy developments, into Mill Cove through to the Sackvilles.

I'm not sure what people's stances are on Park & Rides but that would have to factored in with LRT in the outer 'burbs.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:57 PM
Just 183 km north of...

IMHO a parkade style park & ride is the best place to begin to grow an LRT system. P&R won't work with BRT because buses are gross. Few to no one will get out of their car to take a bus, particularly those on their way to work, but many will opt to take a train if one is available. With our city road network becoming more congested with increasing population, traffic jams and travel times will surely further increase. Trains can run on time and even improve the commuter experience. Start LRT by collecting out of town commuters from the 100 series highways. Extend the viability of our road network by reducing out of town traffic. LRT hauling out of town commuters to city centre can easily stop along the way in to service in-city commuters. Along the basin seems an initial logical route to and from a P&R out near Bedford or Lwr. Sackville somewhere. Further incentivize out of town commuters to use P&R by installing a service or two in the parkade. Maybe a farmers market which could keep the P&R and LRT useful on the weekends.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:41 PM

Here's another letter of opposition, objecting on the usual grounds of wind and shadows, and appealing for council to consider citizens rather than developers.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/op...towers-541354/

Presumably those who would live in the building are not citizens? Can't wait to see those same people foaming at the mouth over housing prices, lack of affordable housing etc. Indeed the letter states we need more affordable housing. Presumably the author is unaware of such obscure economic concepts such as supply and demand.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:58 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Here's another letter of opposition, objecting on the usual grounds of wind and shadows, and appealing for council to consider citizens rather than developers.

Presumably those who would live in the building are not citizens? Can't wait to see those same people foaming at the mouth over housing prices, lack of affordable housing etc. Indeed the letter states we need more affordable housing. Presumably the author is unaware of such obscure economic concepts such as supply and demand.
As towers go it’s pretty modest in size and comparable to its neighbours.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:24 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post

These people need to stop being platformed by these outlets. This is top tier ridiculous.

I'm from this neighborhood originally. These towers will do nothing but provide housing on vacant land.

The stuff about health, light, etc. is comical. The Welsford is around this height.

The houses in this area are upwards of $500,000 at minimum. Talk about privilege.

Right to health? Light and space? Just walk 100 meters and you're at the commons.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:01 PM

Here we go again: Proposal for 23-storey building near Halifax Common to head to regional council

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...102481?cmp=rss

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:09 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Which group is Peggy Cameron going to represent here??? I have lost track of how many she seems to be affiliated with!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:18 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Here we go again: Proposal for 23-storey building near Halifax Common to head to regional council

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...102481?cmp=rss

The story features the wrong rendering.

Many people support this. Where is the evidence that everyone got to give their say? Who were the respondents and do they live in the area?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
The story features the wrong rendering.
And that's not its only fault. The reporter (Nicola Seguin) states: "It would stand between two other high-rises, a 19-storey building called The Welsford, and a 23-storey building currently under construction called Willow Tree"

What building is the "Willow Tree"? I've never heard of it. If she's referring to the building right on the Willow Tree corner, that's Parkland at the Common, and it's 25 storeys, not 23. I believe Armco's original proposal for that site was called "Willow Tree Tower", and it too was (I think) supposed to be 25 storeys, at least in one of its iterations. But that was all before Armco got it approved (at 25) and flipped the property to Parkview.

Not stellar reporting.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
And that's not its only fault. The reporter (Nicola Seguin) states: "It would stand between two other high-rises, a 19-storey building called The Welsford, and a 23-storey building currently under construction called Willow Tree"

What building is the "Willow Tree"? I've never heard of it. If she's referring to the building right on the Willow Tree corner, that's Parkland at the Common, and it's 25 storeys, not 23. I believe Armco's original proposal for that site was called "Willow Tree Tower", and it too was (I think) supposed to be 25 storeys, at least in one of its iterations. But that was all before Armco got it approved (at 25) and flipped the property to Parkview.

Not stellar reporting.
First thing I noticed as well... Has CBC really fallen this low?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
First thing I noticed as well... Has CBC really fallen this low?
The amazing thing is that it's not even a Pam Berman story. Perhaps this is by an intern being groomed to replace her. Judging from what's found on the CBC website, most reporters seem assigned to the social justice and indigenous affairs beats these days, so actual news-gathering is likely suffering.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 6:34 PM

Not saying its a good article, because it is not but to be fair the selling off of the Willow Tree development was not widely publicized. I don't think there was ever any article that I saw about it, only that one small rendering and mention on the Parkland website.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Not saying its a good article, because it is not but to be fair the selling off of the Willow Tree development was not widely publicized.
"To be fair"? Seriously?

"Not widely publicized" may be fair comment if you're talking about the state of the general public's knowledge, but it in no way excuses a reporter's shoddy work.

She doesn't get a pass because part of her story "wasn't highly publicized" in the past. Her whole job is to research the facts and pass them on!

Last edited by Saul Goode; Jul 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 11:25 PM

This was approved today, as well as the 2x30-storey buildings further down Robie St, totalling 679 units.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:01 AM
Halifax Promoter!

So happy they are approved.... Peggy will have to form more groups now..... I wonder what the start dates will be?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
So happy they are approved.... Peggy will have to form more groups now..... I wonder what the start dates will be?
Wonder how she will oppose those as of right under the Center Plan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Wonder how she will oppose those as of right under the Center Plan
Sad part is the already outdated Centre Plan wouldn't even allow for these developments.

High density pockets should be 30+ storeys at this point as a base standard, instead now we're limiting them at 20.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth