HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:00 PM

HRM and everybody's favorite, Peggy Cameron, are already raising objections:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...mmon-1.5344245

and

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...ticism-371139/

Mason also chimed in on Twitter how there really wasn't a need for parking. Riight.

I suspect this location will get changed. Hope so anyway, as it is a very poor choice for a hospital parking facility.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
Well luckily the Wanderers games are mostly after work hours and on weekends, so the hospital people and the soccer people shouldn't really be competing for parking spots
Unfortunately hospitals work on a 24/7 basis (I know, it's Saturday morning right now and I'm at work). They had better make sure some of these spots are reserved for hospital workers..........

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Mason also chimed in on Twitter how there really wasn't a need for parking. Riight.
Mason is full of crap - I can tell you right now (as an on call physician working on the weekend), that there is no way in hell the system would work if I had to wait for a bus to go back and forth to the hospital in an emergency situation........

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Mason is full of crap - I can tell you right now (as an on call physician working on the weekend), that there is no way in hell the system would work if I had to wait for a bus to go back and forth to the hospital in an emergency situation........
He was relying on the old Official HRM Narrative (TM Regd.) that there is plenty of parking available and any shortage is merely a perceived one promulgated by deluded motorists and their stooges in the carbon culture. Or something like that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 4:23 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I don't understand why they can't just leave the parkade as is and with all the spare land available from the Queen Elizabeth High School and CBC, build a proper building that could also include parking. Why tear down a perfectly good building... this way all the parking would be on one large site without the necessity of crossing a street.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I don't understand why they can't just leave the parkade as is and with all the spare land available from the Queen Elizabeth High School and CBC, build a proper building that could also include parking. Why tear down a perfectly good building... this way all the parking would be on one large site without the necessity of crossing a street.
I totally agree. This is a lousy location if it is meant to serve patients of the hospital given the distance and resultant walking that would be required. The existing parkade is not old and seems to work well, plus it is perfectly located. The CBC building is just sitting there next to the hospital. The entire thing requires a rethink. I hope that happens.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I totally agree. This is a lousy location if it is meant to serve patients of the hospital given the distance and resultant walking that would be required. The existing parkade is not old and seems to work well, plus it is perfectly located. The CBC building is just sitting there next to the hospital. The entire thing requires a rethink. I hope that happens.
I have to agree.

I find it a little offputting that in this thread it's being presented as a parking option for the Wanderers grounds, when it is being meant for hospital use. I'm sure it will be used that way, however.

I've had both my parents in this hospital with serious illnesses in the past, and can say when going through that the last thing I want to do is to be driving around looking for parking. This whole thing needs a rethink - I agree.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:42 PM

Wanderers Grounds Stadium yesterday looking nice and green before today's snowfall:

https://twitter.com/WandererDerek/st...91221221236737

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:16 PM

Gonna be a tight squeeze...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Gonna be a tight squeeze...
This is very concerning, and explains why the HFX Wanderers FC issued a statement this morning regarding this development.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't like this plan. The parkade will encroach on the Wanderers Grounds, the Bengal Lancers and the Museum of Natural History. I think all three neighbours have legitimate concerns here.

Will the parking only be for hospital staff and patients, or will there be public parking too? This would be a huge issue for the Museum. I always park in the museum's small parking lot whenever I go there. You would be removing a large component of convenience for museum patrons by robbing them of their parking lot.

The loss of a portion of the paddock for the Bengal Lancers is also an issue. One could argue (legitimately) whether this is the best place in the metro area for this riding club, but the Bengal Lancers have a lot of history invested in this location, and this should not be minimized as a concern.

I am also worried about the encroachment on the Wanderers Stadium. This could seriously impact on any expansion plans they might have had if they had wanted to stay in this location and build a permanent stadium here. The is an ideal location for a soccer specific stadium, and we already know how this interacts positively with downtown bars and pubs. If the Wanderers ultimately choose to build a permanent stadium, and are forced to look elsewhere in HRM by the encroachment of the adjacent parkade, this could seriously impact on the game day experience engendered by the stadiums current location.

I oppose this plan.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:38 PM

I'm assuming they already have plans for the former CBC site on the corner, or is it just a matter of not wanting to wait for the site to be fully decommissioned/demolished? This would seem to be a better location for a hospital-oriented parkade.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I don't like this plan. The parkade will encroach on the Wanderers Grounds, the Bengal Lancers and the Museum of Natural History. I think all three neighbours have legitimate concerns here.

Will the parking only be for hospital staff and patients, or will there be public parking too? This would be a huge issue for the Museum. I always park in the museum's small parking lot whenever I go there. You would be removing a large component of convenience for museum patrons by robbing them of their parking lot.

The loss of a portion of the paddock for the Bengal Lancers is also an issue. One could argue (legitimately) whether this is the best place in the metro area for this riding club, but the Bengal Lancers have a lot of history invested in this location, and this should not be minimized as a concern.

I am also worried about the encroachment on the Wanderers Stadium. This could seriously impact on any expansion plans they might have had if they had wanted to stay in this location and build a permanent stadium here. The is an ideal location for a soccer specific stadium, and we already know how this interacts positively with downtown bars and pubs. If the Wanderers ultimately choose to build a permanent stadium, and are forced to look elsewhere in HRM by the encroachment of the adjacent parkade, this could seriously impact on the game day experience engendered by the stadiums current location.

I oppose this plan.
I agree completely with your take MonctonRad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I'm assuming they already have plans for the former CBC site on the corner, or is it just a matter of not wanting to wait for the site to be fully decommissioned/demolished? This would seem to be a better location for a hospital-oriented parkade.

Some of the detailed plans are here for the QEII redevelopment:

https://healthredevelopment.novascot...on-master-plan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I agree completely with your take MonctonRad.
Aren't things so much nicer when we can get along.........

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Aside from the impact on neighbours it just seems bizarre to me that as part of this big redevelopment they're moving parking to a less convenient location where it won't be directly connected to the hospital complex.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:03 PM
hi

This is a bold move...

-----

Province issues tender for controversial hospital parkade in Halifax

Nova Scotia's infrastructure department has gone ahead with a tender for a controversial hospital parkade that will encroach on the Halifax Common.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...alifax-403936/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:28 PM

That museum really is in the way there. Wedged in between a power plant and a parkade, is it even worth keeping? Maybe it could move to the building that AGNS currently occupies. The northern bit of Summer Street could be closed and used for hospital development. It'd be nice not to encroach on the Wanderers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:11 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Aside from the impact on neighbours it just seems bizarre to me that as part of this big redevelopment they're moving parking to a less convenient location where it won't be directly connected to the hospital complex.
My sentiments exactly!!! Such a horrible location.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:17 AM

Common sense isn't that common it seems.

My question is why not just go underground like a modern city would do? There's many of options other than this lunacy. Considering the site is sitting on a drumlin and would be likely the easiest place to dig on the peninsula.

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Jan 30, 2020 at 8:35 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment