HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Just curious how you're accessing the info and how it's been unreliable? Is it for a stop at the start of the route?

I usually use the Transit app... when you're looking up a stop that's mid-route it works really well I find, though I don't usually fully trust it unless I see the location of the bus on the map.
Out of curiosity.. what transit app are you using?.. several are available but not sure which us better.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
Out of curiosity.. what transit app are you using?.. several are available but not sure which us better.
Pretty sure he literally means 'Transit' app: https://transitapp.com/. I also find Transit to be pretty good, and its what I've switched to lately. You just have to make sure the app has picked up the bus on GPS and isn't using the published schedule (but that is true with all of the apps).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 12:21 PM

In the last couple of days they seem to have had some IT troubles and the API has either been down or broken, but in terms of the accuracy of the provided data I don't think that's ever changed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Just curious how you're accessing the info and how it's been unreliable? Is it for a stop at the start of the route?

I usually use the Transit app... when you're looking up a stop that's mid-route it works really well I find, though I don't usually fully trust it unless I see the location of the bus on the map.

I get the info in one of two ways, bus buddy and/or the digital panels you find at some major stops that OC Transpo provides (e.g. bus stop on Queen at Parliament station). I get Bus Buddy being incorrect at times, I got used to that a long time ago. It's more the OC Transpo provided real-time info that I expect to be a bit more reliable and it hasn't been lately.

Most of the issues lately are occurring mid-route for me.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 4:33 AM

I question the investment in Park n Ride lots that are not on the rapid transit network or will not be on the rapid transit network for several years. In my recent drives around the city, these lots are typically completely empty on weekdays. Even when life returns to close to normal, I can't see why these lots will be well used, when they are served by only infrequent bus service.

These lots must cost a pretty penny to build. Surely, our transit money could be more effectively spent elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 10:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transpo removes several double-deckers from road after bus goes into ditch

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Aug 10, 2021 • 12 minutes ago • 1 minute read

OC Transpo has removed 19 double-deckers from the road as a proactive safety measure after a bus ended up in a ditch along Carling Avenue this week.

The bus left the road near the intersection of Herzberg Road on Monday afternoon. No one was injured and passengers were able to safely get off the bus.

The incident prompted an investigation by Transpo.

Transportation GM John Manconi told council on Tuesday that Transpo removed all double-deckers of the same model as the bus involved in the incident. Transpo is working with the manufacturer to figure out what happened.

Buses in Transpo’s double-decker fleet are provided by Alexander Dennis.

Manconi said there’s no impact to regular bus service with the 19 double-deckers removed from the road. The “R1” replacement bus service, currently operating because the LRT system is closed, also won’t be impacted, he said.

It’s not the first time that Transpo has had to pull a large number of double-deckers from the road.

Earlier this year, Transpo pulled 17 of the buses aside for inspections after corrosion was discovered in the flooring around the driver’s area of a double-decker.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...oes-into-ditch

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 5:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transpo finds some double-deckers needed steering 'adjustment' after bus ended up in ditch

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Aug 12, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

OC Transpo discovered that seven double-deckers needed a steering-related “adjustment” after a bus ended up in a ditch this week.

Transpo pulled 19 double-deckers from the road after a bus went into the ditch on Carling Avenue near Herzberg Road on Monday. No one was hurt and passengers were able to safely get off the bus.

Transportation GM John Manconi told council in a memo Wednesday night “an investigation found that a component of the steering system required adjustment” on seven of the double-deckers and they will return to service within a couple of days.

The other 12 buses passed the inspections and returned to service Wednesday.

The double-deckers are manufactured by Alexander Dennis.

Removing some of the double-deckers from the road hasn’t impacted the “R1” replacement bus service required this week because of the unplanned LRT shutdown.

A disabled train near Tunney’s Pasture made its slow journey back to the maintenance and storage facility on Wednesday so workers could examine an axle bearing assembly. One of the 10 axles on the double-car train went off the rails on Sunday night, prompting Rideau Transit Maintenance to undertake a full fleet inspection of the Alstom Citadis Spirit vehicles.

It also meant Transpo was forced to stop running the Confederation Line for an unknown period of time. The LRT system was still closed on Thursday.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ed-up-in-ditch

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transit chair rejects emergency meeting on rail, bus breakdowns

Staff Reporter. Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Aug 17, 2021 • 40 minutes ago • 2 minute read

The chair of the city’s transit commission has rejected a call from two city councillors for an “emergency” meeting to discuss recent transit breakdowns in Ottawa.

Councillors Diane Deans, a past chair of the transit commission, and Catherine McKenney requested Monday that Commission Chair Allan Hubley convene the panel early to discuss recent issues with the city’s light rail trains and double-decker buses.

OC Transpo suspended LRT service for five days last week after an issue in an axle bearing caused a derailment at Tunney’s Pasture on Aug. 8, while on Aug. 9, a double-decker bus slid into a ditch, prompting the removal of 19 double-decker buses from service for inspection.

“Both incidents have left us and residents with ongoing questions about the safety and reliability of our trains and buses,” McKenney said in a letter to Hubley, which she published on Twitter. “In the interest of accountability and transparency to residents, we request an emergency Transit Commission meeting in the next 10 days to discuss these events.”

However, Hubley denied the request in a letter, stating that OC Transpo boss John Manconi has responded “very professionally” to the incidents.

Hubley noted Transpo and its leadership “are working … day and night to identify the root cause of both events, as well as fully cooperating with the (federal Transportation Safety Board) in their review of the rail incident.”

“Throughout these events last week, Mr. Manconi has provided regular updates to City Council and Transit Commission — sometimes twice daily — as more information became available. It is inaccurate and unfair to say otherwise.”

Hubley said that Manconi will “shortly issue a detailed memo on the root cause and the ongoing inspection, and his team will also provide a fulsome update on both issues at the (Sept. 1) meeting of the Transit Commission.”

However, McKenney tweeted Tuesday that she intended to “petition” other members of the commission to try to get a majority to request an emergency meeting. Shortly after, Sarah Wright-Gilbert, a citizen transit commissioner, responded on Twitter that she has written to the city clerk in support of the meeting.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...bus-breakdowns

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:18 PM

I certainly am no fan of Hubley, but I kind of agree with him on this one. Assuming all member of the committee are receiving the updates, I don't see what benefit an emergency meeting would have prior to the completion of Manconi's "detailed memo."

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I certainly am no fan of Hubley, but I kind of agree with him on this one. Assuming all member of the committee are receiving the updates, I don't see what benefit an emergency meeting would have prior to the completion of Manconi's "detailed memo."
Agreed. There's no valid reason for an emergency meeting. There was an incident and both OC and RTM have been reporting updates as they went.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 3:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Councillors, advocates demand emergency meeting on O-Train 'dysfunction'
"The work of the city has to be done in a public and open way."

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Aug 24, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 2 minute read

A group of councillors and critics of Ottawa’s problem-plagued transit system will rally at city hall Wednesday to demand an emergency meeting of the transit commission.

The commission hasn’t met since June 6 and isn’t scheduled to meet again until Sept. 20. In between, the O-Train was out of service for five days because of a derailment later traced to a cracked axle bearing, 10 trains were pulled out of service for repairs and a bus crash prompted steering inspections of its double-decker fleet.

“What we’ve seen is an ongoing pattern of dysfunction on that train,” Gloucester-Southgate Coun. Diane Deans said. “Trains didn’t work in the winter. Trains didn’t work in the summer. Trains had cracked wheels. Trains had broken axles. It has gone on and on and on.

“Three and a half months between meetings when you have a system in crisis is not providing the public oversight we need to provide.”

Deans helped organize Wednesday’s rally along with Coun. Catherine McKenney. It’s also backed by Coun. Sean Menard, citizen transit commissioner Sarah Wright-Gilbert and the advocacy groups Ottawa Transit Riders, Free Transit Ottawa and Horizon Ottawa.

“I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a public meeting when you’re spending public dollars on the biggest project in the city’s history,” Deans said, “that the questions be asked and answered in an open and transparent forum. That’s all we’re asking.”

Since the broken axle derailment on Aug. 8, the city’s general manager of transit, John Manconi, has been sending nearly daily updates to members of council and the commission about the inspections and repairs. Late Monday, Manconi sent a five-page memo answering questions about the maintenance work that was done, who would pay for it and other issues such as the role hot weather played in the problems, a computer code issue that delayed one train and a fire caused by an article of clothing on the O-Train’s overhead power lines.

That’s not good enough, Deans said.

“The work of the city has to be done in a public and open way. A memo from Mr. Manconi to members of council and members of transit commission that the public is not privy to is not meeting that standard of openness and transparency that one should reasonably expect in a democracy.”

In a statement, Mayor Jim Watson defended the city’s actions. “Staff have been providing councillors with full briefings, detailing all aspects of resolving the problems. Councillors will have the opportunity to have a full discussion on transit at its next meeting,” Watson said in a statement to CFRA.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...in-dysfunction

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:13 PM

Diane Deans should really consider changing her name to Karen. Maybe we should put forward a petition for the name change.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:34 PM

From Coun. Glen Gower's website:

Quote:
MOODIE STATION TO BE TEMPORARILY RELOCATED, TRANSITWAY DETOURED FOR STAGE 2 O-TRAIN CONSTRUCTION

by Team Stittsville | Aug 19, 2021 | Information

Starting 3:00 am on Sunday September 5 many west-end buses will be on detour due to Moodie Station being temporarily relocated and the Transitway between Holly Acres and Moodie closing for construction of Stage 2.

Routes to be detoured: 58, 61, 62, 63, 64, 66, 158, 252, 256, 257, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 267, 268, 301, 303, 404, 406, 454, 660, 661.

Moodie Station will be relocated to temporary bus stops at the Highway 417 interchange ramps at Moodie Drive. At the westbound off-ramp there will be a westbound Transitway platform, and a northbound and southbound stop on Moodie Drive for local service. Likewise, on the eastbound off-ramp there will be an eastbound Transitway platform, and a northbound and southbound stop on Moodie Drive for local service.

The closure of the Transitway between Moodie Drive and Holly Acres Road will be permanently closed to buses to allow for conversion of Bus Rapid Transitway (BRT) to LRT guideway. Once complete, LRT trains will replace the existing bus service.

Preparatory activity will begin in late-August with the modification of Moodie bus stops. In September, Stage 2 crews will start with site preparations on the Transitway and utility relocation which includes digging and asphalt removal. Once complete, installation of electrical, communication lines and duct banks will take place, followed by grading and granular placement. Stay up to date with Stage 2 LRT progress by signing up for the Stage 2 LRT newsletter.

Pedestrian and cyclist movements will not be impacted. The multi-use path (MUP) will be maintained between Corkstown and Moodie throughout construction.

To find out more about bus detours, please visit octranspo.com.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Councillors rally against 'governing by memo' on LRT issues
Council members demand a meeting, not emails, about train axle issues

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: Aug 25, 2021 5:00 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

For the first time since the pandemic began, Ottawa City Hall was home to an in-person rally spurred by some city councillors who have pushed their political colleagues to call an emergency meeting over concerns about axles on the city's LRT vehicles.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and the chair of the transit commission, Allan Hubley, have opposed calls for an emergency meeting that have come from a group of city councillors, including Catherine McKenney, who is also a transit commissioner.

On Wednesday outside city hall, McKenney rallied with other councillors, transit advocates and riders calling for more than written answers about the recent crop of problems to hit OC Transpo.

The most serious problem saw a light rail train derail on Aug. 8 after an axle broke. Ten train cars were then identified for repairs.

But the next transit commission meeting will not take place until Sept. 20 and the commission last met on June 16, leaving councillors frustrated.

"Call me naïve, but I really did not think that this was going to be the time for us to start governing by memo," said McKenney, who wants the train's maintainer and builder, Rideau Transit Group, to appear in a public meeting to be questioned.

On Monday night, transportation general manager John Manconi released a five-page memo answering various questions about the LRT and bus operations.

In the memo, he confirmed there had been no axle or bearing issues during tests before the Confederation Line's launch in September 2019. He also described steps being taken to deal with odour at downtown LRT stations, and the technical issues that caused a couple of train delays on Aug. 21.

Along with McKenney, council colleagues Diane Deans, Riley Brockington, Mathieu Fleury, Theresa Kavanagh, Rawlson King, Carol Anne Meehan and Shawn Menard attended the rally, in addition to citizen transit commissioner Sarah Wright-Gilbert.

Kavanagh said residents need to have confidence in OC Transpo and its LRT, but people are getting nervous about boarding public transit again, and they must believe in the big, expensive expansion of tracks east, west and south.

Brockington said decision makers have not been given timely information on "chronic" problems with the LRT — referring to the jammed doors, electrical issues, and cracked wheels that plagued its first year.

"This was the straw that broke the camel's back for many members of council and the commission, with the axles coming off," he said.

A rally by those who govern is rare, especially when calling for more transparent governance, but it is evidence of a divided city council this term as the group of councillors often sit in the minority when votes take place around the council table.

They said they want to work cohesively rather than turn to rallies to pressure others for information about such a massive public project as light rail.

"I can't believe we have to gather on the steps of city hall to demand a meeting. Last I checked, we were living in a democracy," said Deans, who represents the ward of Gloucester-Southgate.

In an email to CBC News, Hubley disagreed with the group of councillors and reiterated a thorough review of the axle problem is underway to ensure public safety.

He also said there is "zero evidence" any information is being withheld.

"There is no 'governing by memo' happening here," he wrote, saying a memo is the fastest way to relay information.

"This tells me the reputation of council and the hard-working men and women of OC Transpo, and our partners in this review, is being sacrificed to political grandstand, and that is frankly very sad and uncalled for."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ency-1.6152974

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 9:17 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City to begin changes at Westboro station in wake of fatal 2019 crash
Loose rock, signs to be reviewed, replaced at station to improve safety

CBC News
Posted: Sep 03, 2021 1:34 PM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

The City of Ottawa will begin making changes to Westboro station as part of its response to a fatal double-decker bus crash in 2019.

The collision with a bus shelter on Jan. 11, 2019 injured at least 35 people and killed three — Judy Booth, Anja Van Beek and Bruce Thomlinson.

The driver, Aissatou Diallo, 44, has pleaded not guilty to all 38 dangerous driving charges. Her next court date is Sept. 22.

Friday's memo from OC Transpo general manager John Manconi said independent experts have looked at Westboro station and four other types of Transitway stations.

They sent some interim recommendations the city can act on immediately, according to Manconi, including:
  • Removing loose rock from walls east of Westboro station.
  • Installing black and yellow visibility striping near the platform edge.
  • Reviewing reflectiveness of traffic signs, and replacing as necessary.

Parsons Corporation completed the study and Intus Road Safety Engineering came up with recommendations.

This report follows a confidential interim report connected to the Westboro bus crash trial, which was inadvertently provided to CBC News by the defence who thought it was publicly filed in May.

That report recommended a series of safety improvements to the Transitway, ranging from improved station design to lower speed limits.

At the time, the city's chief safety officer said those recommendations were drafts being reviewed by professional engineering experts hired by the city.

The current memo is part of that work, but Manconi said the city has yet to receive the final report.

Westboro station will also undergo major changes as part of the city's Stage 2 LRT expansion when train tracks will replace the Transitway in the area.

The Transitway is scheduled to close for that work in June 2022, according to a presentation to the community in July, moving buses to Scott Street. That western LRT extension is expected to be done in 2025.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.6163816

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 2:49 PM

Shawn Menard's shared a photo of the first electric bus being delivered to Ottawa on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ShawnMenard1/sta...682436/photo/1

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 7:42 PM

A while back there was talk about OCTranspo installing ticket machines at major Transitway stations and Part and Ride lots. Did this ever happen? OC Tranpo's website, says they have them at "all O-Train stations" as well as "at the Ottawa International Airport (YOW)" but there is no mention of any other locations.

While you can buy (and load) Presto cards at Shoppers Drug Marts (which is convenient), you can't buy DayPasses there. Those can only be purchased at a ticket machine or on the bus, and the latter only accepts cash payment with exact change. Can you buy day passes with a Presto card? Even if you can, it seems a convoluted way of getting one. If they want people to use transit to go downtown who don't normally use it, they need to make it convenient for people.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 8:41 PM

Ticket machines have been installed at some (all?) South-East Tansitway, but years later and they are still not activated.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
A while back there was talk about OCTranspo installing ticket machines at major Transitway stations and Part and Ride lots. Did this ever happen? OC Tranpo's website, says they have them at "all O-Train stations" as well as "at the Ottawa International Airport (YOW)" but there is no mention of any other locations.

While you can buy (and load) Presto cards at Shoppers Drug Marts (which is convenient), you can't buy DayPasses there. Those can only be purchased at a ticket machine or on the bus, and the latter only accepts cash payment with exact change. Can you buy day passes with a Presto card? Even if you can, it seems a convoluted way of getting one. If they want people to use transit to go downtown who don't normally use it, they need to make it convenient for people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ticket machines have been installed at some (all?) South-East Tansitway, but years later and they are still not activated.
I remember OC Transpo originally stated that the S/E transitway machines would become active following the launch of the Confederation Line, since they would up their staffing for the line to also cover the new machines as well. (for video calls and stuff)

About a year ago I asked on Twitter about the machines on the S/E transitway and was ultimately told that they were having trouble getting mobile data to work with the machines, or something along those lines.

Maybe they've postponed the work for other stations since they haven't even gotten these ones to work?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Those machines have been installed for at least 3 years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation