Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:50 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
People still go to movie theatres?
?

What kind of life do you have???
It's ok if one does not go, but for the rest... seriously?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:32 AM

The parking lots are always packed whenever I go by. And they are almost as comfortable as home now with the power reclining loungers. The current Landmark theatre is a retrofitted former Famous Players theatre so each room has a small capacity now with the lazy boys, I think 60-80 seats and only 8 rooms. The new theatre will be at least double the rooms and double the seats per room. I can't remember exactly where they were planning to go on the site, so maybe they are waiting for Costco to build the new store so the old one can be demolished.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:09 PM

Yeah movie theatres have really upped their game lately. In addition to the recliners my favourite thing is buying the tickets online. No waiting in line or having to get there early or any of that. Choose and pay for seats at home, get to the theatre a minute before the start time and head right to your preferred seat. Easy peasy.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:41 PM
sick transit, gloria

I very rarely go to the movies, but I do appreciate actually being able to grab a beer while watching now. Seems to be allowed at pretty much every theatre in Toronto now, while previously it was VIP only.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:58 PM
I am the law!

Go all the time. Prefer the atmosphere and There's just something about going out to see a movie than always in your man cave. One disadvantage is you can't pause to take a leak so I now hold off on the beer until after the flick. The advantage is we drink afterwards getting drunk and more passionate on our analysis.

I pitty those that watch a lot of movies but haven't been to a theatre since their youth.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:01 PM

I see in the news that Second Cup is doing a corporate rebranding. Sounds like they intend to expand beyond the cafe biz. It got me wondering - I honestly can't remember that last time I went to a Second Cup for coffee. It must be fifteen years or more.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:04 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Yeah movie theatres have really upped their game lately. In addition to the recliners my favourite thing is buying the tickets online. No waiting in line or having to get there early or any of that. Choose and pay for seats at home, get to the theatre a minute before the start time and head right to your preferred seat. Easy peasy.
Feels like I've been buying online for years now. The seating has been fine since they replaced the horrid multiplexes from the late 70s and 1980s in the late 1990s. The last thing I want is a replicated man cave.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:09 PM
sick transit, gloria

I live fairly close to the independent Revue Cinema on Roncessvalles and want to make an effort to go more often over this winter. They do play relatively new movies but also a lot of classics. We went a few times last winter but it died down with moving overseas and then warmer weather with other stuff to do. It's always a good time with some friends and then grab a few drinks afterwards nearby to discuss, as mentioned above. Also quite cheap, especially with a membership!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:10 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I see in the news that Second Cup is doing a corporate rebranding. Sounds like they intend to expand beyond the cafe biz. It got me wondering - I honestly can't remember that last time I went to a Second Cup for coffee. It must be fifteen years or more.
The rebranding is probably a last gasp. They simply don't have enough locations to compete with other national chains.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I live fairly close to the independent Revue Cinema on Roncessvalles and want to make an effort to go more often over this winter. They do play relatively new movies but also a lot of classics. We went a few times last winter but it died down with moving overseas and then warmer weather with other stuff to do. It's always a good time with some friends and then grab a few drinks afterwards nearby to discuss, as mentioned above. Also quite cheap, especially with a membership!
My theatre hosts a lot of silent movies and I've been fortunate enough to see a few of them. It's totally different than today's CGI blockbusters.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
My theatre hosts a lot of silent movies and I've been fortunate enough to see a few of them. It's totally different than today's CGI blockbusters.
The most amazing film experience I've ever had was at Kitchener's Centre in the Square a few years ago, when the K-W Symphony and the Grand Philharmonic Choir provided live music for a showing of Dryer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928). It was an extraordinary experience.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:47 PM
I am the law!

I'm sure it was. Always wanted to see something like that but, never got around to it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
People still go to movie theatres?

Yes, absolutely. I go a few times a month to both local theatres and to Cineplex. Crowds are still pretty good for theatres despite their negative publicity.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Yes, absolutely. I go a few times a month to both local theatres and to Cineplex. Crowds are still pretty good for theatres despite their negative publicity.
It was a silly question wasn't it.

I would say I go to between 12-15 movies a year. We have two 8 theatre multiplexes in Moncton, with the one at CF Champlain is pretty new. The experience is pretty good, and some movies just have to be seen in the theatre, no matter how impressive your home set up is.

I mean, really, why would you want to cocoon yourself in your basement 100% of the time. Get out and experience some of the better movies with a few other members of the human species. It might do you some good.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

I get the impression cinemas will never go away because they are so important socially for adolescents and young adults. That 12-30 range of customers will keep them going.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The most amazing film experience I've ever had was at Kitchener's Centre in the Square a few years ago, when the K-W Symphony and the Grand Philharmonic Choir provided live music for a showing of Dryer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928). It was an extraordinary experience.
I went to see Peter Jackson's documentary on the First World War (They Shall Not Grow Old) at the theatre about a year ago, and it was a tremendous experience too. He did wonderful things to restore film footage from the era, and some of his research on the topic was incredible. I bought the DVD last month. I would highly recommend it.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:04 PM

I have a small one theatre cinema right down the street from me, and it's a Cineplex! So I get Scene points etc. and good screens, but it is a totally old school one-screen theatre about 3 mins walk away

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
We have a big dirt pile along the 401 in London that should be hosting the grand opening of our IKEA store right about now. They announced the store 2 years ago, then put it on hold a year ago, and haven't said another word about it since. They said they were still proceeding with the land purchase and are committed to the market, but it's been 15 months since they made this announcement. Interesting that the rest of the development has stalled as well. Costco is still moving ahead with their new store to replace the current one on the site (originally a Price Club from the 80's), although it will be a year late or more when it finally gets built, but no word on the new movie theatres, Sail or other retailers planning to move in.
That must be one of the last Costco locations that was originally a Price Club? Many of those Price Club warehouses that opened in the 1980s and 1990s were located out of the way a bit. They tended to be away from other retailers on purpose. Most locations built as Costco have tended to be among other retail stores and businesses. At least from my observations.

I got a Costco membership right around the turn of the millennium when one opened in Sudbury and have renewed every year.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:37 AM
recession proof

What's a man cave?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 4:59 AM

this is a man cave

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada