HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:37 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
and thanks again! I think I'd completely missed that one

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Looks like Norman Foster's Oceanwide Center is on hold indefinitely:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral
This one is just so disappointing. These are going to be two absolutely massive holes in the ground for *years* I think. Unless someone like Boston Properties buys the whole thing, this ain't moving.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:20 PM

Going up Franklin yesterday I noticed that there was work going on at 807 Franklin (the Englander House). They were demolishing what looked to be a later addition to the rear of the building. As a reminder, the old Victorian will be moved to the 600 block of Fulton and this will be built in its place (and on the adjoining empty lot):

http://www.kermanmorris.com/807-franklin

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:04 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
This one is just so disappointing. These are going to be two absolutely massive holes in the ground for *years* I think. Unless someone like Boston Properties buys the whole thing, this ain't moving.
There aren’t two massive holes since the entire substructures have been built out over a number of years that brought them to ground level, plus a little more. Still, this is more than disappointing, though it has been obvious for a long time.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
There aren’t two massive holes since the entire substructures have been built out over a number of years that brought them to ground level, plus a little more. Still, this is more than disappointing, though it has been obvious for a long time.
Fair, it’s an important distinction that these are fully excavated, sub structures built out to ground or above ground level, and there’s 2 tower cranes up. That’s a big difference. But as Oceanwide LA has shown... even in that state, it could be a while.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitty View Post
Fair, it’s an important distinction that these are fully excavated, sub structures built out to ground or above ground level, and there’s 2 tower cranes up. That’s a big difference. But as Oceanwide LA has shown... even in that state, it could be a while.
The third crane for the Waldorf Astoria/Condo tower is still onsite (or it was back in late December). Both sites are ready to go above ground if a buyer could be found. The issue, to me, is Oceanwide's expectation it should be paid full price for it's botched project management. Oceanwide proceeded expecting it could cover costs through it's internal cash flow/assets and did not take into account China changing it's overseas investment policies in mid project. It's a sad site, but it is also an entitled site, so someone will want in at some point. All the design and engineering work is paid for, sooooo

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Let's hope it doesn't sit idle as long as the Chicago Spire site? How long was the 535 Mission St site idle?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Let's hope it doesn't sit idle as long as the Chicago Spire site? How long was the 535 Mission St site idle?
The 535 Mission site really was a hole in the ground filled with gravel. Oceanside is much farther along. A better comparison might be 706 Mission where a lot of underground work was done in anticipation of the ultimate completion of the Legoretta design of the Mexican Museum. When 4-Seasons came along with their tower proposal many years later--a totally different type of building--much of this work turned out to be worthless but I don't think that'll happen with Oceanwide. In SF it seems like about half the time to put up a tower is spent on foundation work and below ground work. That would mean these buildings are half-way done. Somebody will pick up the ball but the great unknown is what kind of recovery from the COVID economic catastrophe we'll have: A quick bounce-back or a slow grinding recession. And will the work-from-home boomlet fade as people realize the folks actually coming into the office for face time with the boss are the ones getting promoted (and paid more)? If so, and the value of downtown office space bounces back, Oceanside might not be on hold as long as some think.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The 535 Mission site really was a hole in the ground filled with gravel. Oceanside is much farther along. A better comparison might be 706 Mission where a lot of underground work was done in anticipation of the ultimate completion of the Legoretta design of the Mexican Museum. When 4-Seasons came along with their tower proposal many years later--a totally different type of building--much of this work turned out to be worthless but I don't think that'll happen with Oceanwide. In SF it seems like about half the time to put up a tower is spent on foundation work and below ground work. That would mean these buildings are half-way done. Somebody will pick up the ball but the great unknown is what kind of recovery from the COVID economic catastrophe we'll have: A quick bounce-back or a slow grinding recession. And will the work-from-home boomlet fade as people realize the folks actually coming into the office for face time with the boss are the ones getting promoted (and paid more)? If so, and the value of downtown office space bounces back, Oceanside might not be on hold as long as some think.
We down in LA are *quite* eager for Oceanwide SF to get sold as the consensus seems to be that they will use the proceeds from the SF sale to complete the LA property.

Meanwhile it is just hanging out, cranes and all. Same as it ever was...

What a mess.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:24 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Oceanwide Center (name to undoubtedly be changed) has had its own thread since the beginning and now there are simultaneous conversations going on. Let's stick to its dedicated thread please.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...185537&page=58

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 7:47 PM

I took a different route to work than usual yesterday and noticed the oil change station on Valencia across from Zeitgeist had been demolished.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
I took a different route to work than usual yesterday and noticed the oil change station on Valencia across from Zeitgeist had been demolished.
ah, this one

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 6:57 PM

1288 Howard Street and 9th Street The final floor build as of 1/16/2021. In this photo the building in the lower right corner is the micro apartments on Mission Street and 9th Street.

1288 Howard Street @ 9th Street

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 10:26 PM

according to Potrero View, infrastructure work for Phase 2 of Rebuild Potrero is to start this Monday, with construction of the housing itself starting in August

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:17 AM

Potrero View also reminded me that at the corner of Third and Evans, at the far north end of Bayview, the new Southeast Community Center is going up, replacing the old India Basin Industrial Park

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:47 AM

The red bus lanes on Van Ness are now up to Sutter & Van Ness.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post
The red bus lanes on Van Ness are now up to Sutter & Van Ness.
I am out of town for the winter but am very interested in this project (EXTREMELY interested in it getting finished). If you carry a cell phone, how about snapping a photo or two next time you are in the area and posting them? It would be much appreciated.

I had been hoping they were making progress and you confirmed they are.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 9:29 PM

Margaret Hayward Playground

I am not very familiar with this playground, and had missed, or forgotten, that it was being worked on, but I sort of stumbled onto what seems to be a fairly major project, as these things go. (I don't have pics - I only noticed this from google maps satellite view, while reminding myself where 807 Franklin was, from AndrewK's recent post.)

and it looks thoughtfully planned to me, which makes me grateful for the investment - though, as I say, this is not something I have followed at all. if anyone is more familiar or has recent pics, please chime in. seems like the work wrapped up just in the last couple months.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I am not very familiar with this playground, and had missed, or forgotten, that it was being worked on, but I sort of stumbled onto what seems to be a fairly major project, as these things go. it looks thoughtfully planned to me, which makes me grateful for the investment - though, as I say, this is not something I have followed at all. if anyone is more familiar or has recent pics, please chime in. seems like the work wrapped up just in the last couple months.
I, of course, live very close by and my window looks out past this (there's a building in the way so I can't see the actual construction but when they used to have night ballgames I definitely see the lights). The still-green Jefferson Square Park is where a lot of people from my building walk their dogs.

It seemed to me the construction was over or largely over in November when I left town for the winter . . . after several years. I did not, however, take time to check out what they'd done. It used to be baseball diamonds and tennis courts mainly. From your aerial shot it looks like 2 of the tennis courts were left alone as, of course, was the city Emergency Response (911) center which was built after the 1989 quake and sits on the most impressive set of base isolators I've seen.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:18 AM

Usf

more google maps scanning also reminded me that USF also has some significant construction going on their Lone Mountain campus

Last edited by timbad; Jan 26, 2021 at 4:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations