HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 5:00 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Innisfil - The Orbit

Came across this recently of a proposal to build around Innisfil's future GO station.

An interesting idea to add and focus density around the future GO station.
Read more here: https://innisfil.ca/orbit/

Aerial rendering

Last edited by Horus; Dec 25, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’ve heard from UrbanToronto. It’ll be interesting to see another sizeable city in Simcoe County. Soon the Bradford - Innisfil - Barrie corridor will need to be split from the rest of the county and become its own thing. Any name suggestions? Region of Gwillimbury?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 10:54 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’ve heard from UrbanToronto. It’ll be interesting to see another sizeable city in Simcoe County. Soon the Bradford - Innisfil - Barrie corridor will need to be split from the rest of the county and become its own thing. Any name suggestions? Region of Gwillimbury?
That'd be too confusing with East Gwillimbury next door in York Region.

One of the stated goals with this concept is to concentrate growth in this node and keep the rural flavour to the rest of Innisfil. I wouldn't expect Innisfil would be looking to split from Simcoe County.

Something like this would force Barrie to find somewhere else to grow, instead of trying to annex more of Innisfil.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:42 PM
I am a typical

Those intersections don't look very fun for winter driving.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 12:16 AM

Is that a road looping into Lake Simcoe?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 12:19 AM
I am a typical

It looks like it's a pedestrian path, where it joins the road in the lower right you can see that the road goes one way and this is its sidewalk.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 1:41 PM

Update from July:
During a special council meeting July 15, councillors approved concept plans for the new Orbit station and community.

Construction on the 6th Line hub, east of the 20th Sideroad, is set to begin in 2022.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:22 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Great news! Looking forward to how this continues to evolve.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 3:00 AM

Very interesting. I had no idea about any of that.

I wonder if COVID-19 and the current economic situation will slow it down or cancel it. I'm surprised at the location. I thought that something like that would be located much closer to Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Very interesting. I had no idea about any of that.

I wonder if COVID-19 and the current economic situation will slow it down or cancel it. I'm surprised at the location. I thought that something like that would be located much closer to Toronto.
By the time it all happens, it will be Toronto lol

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:47 PM

Local governments have requested a Ministerial Zoning Order to expedite the development of the new transit station and surrounding housing community

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-ne...opment-2796334

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:33 AM

Summer updates:

Innisfil Council updated on Mobility Orbit progress
From https://www.barrietoday.com/local-ne...system-3914451
Council was told that work is ongoing to develop the Orbit ‘vision’ and a preliminary design for the GO station, but there is still a level of uncertainty. There is still no development agreement signed with Cortel Group, which owns the land, and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has yet to respond to the town’s request for a ministerial zoning order (MZO) to fast-track development of the land, which is located on Line 6 outside of the Alcona settlement boundary.

Councillors were told a number of planning steps are happening concurrently.

The master concept site plan, establishing the land uses, intensification and build form within the transit-oriented community zone (a circle within 225 metres of the new GO station) is under development by the Orbit technical design review team, consisting of town and agency staff, and shared consultants, while at the same time there is a review of the GO station preliminary design.

The preliminary design is expected to be completed as early as the first week in July. A complete site-plan submission is expected in the third quarter of 2021. Construction of the GO train station is set to begin in 2022, pending "other approvals."

A request for proposals (RFP) for an Orbit Potential and Innovation Plan (OPIP), spelling out means of reducing carbon emissions “from design to construction to living,” incorporating smart technology and developing affordability, walkability, and a sense of place in the Orbit, will go out this month. The work of translating the Orbit Vision into policies through the OPIP should begin this September, with completion scheduled early in 2023.

The update, presented by Orbit director Tim Cane, also introduced a “sustainability checklist” to be achieved through the site-plan review process and development agreements. The checklist includes protection of water resources, building culture and “community wellness,” creating a resilient community, focusing on sustainable management of resources, and reducing carbon use.

Third-party verification, through LEED certification or other programs, is identified as necessary for environmental quality control, “while at the same time providing the flexibility for developers to achieve these targets,” the report stated.

The process calls for a development agreement with Cortel Group to be in place prior to the design of the GO station. However, due to the complexities of the situation “no agreement has been reached to date,” council was told.

Council is also waiting on the MZO.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:08 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Wait no longer. MZO granted.

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-ne...proval-4207450

Quote:
Orbit Transit Hub receives MZO approval
'This is an exciting community-building project and I am proud to be able to support the Orbit transit hub,' says minister Steve Clark
about an hour ago By: InnisfilToday Staff

NEWS RELEASE
TOWN OF INNISFIL

The Province of Ontario announced today that a Ministerial Zoning Order (MZO) has been made to designate lands on the 6th Line for the Town of Innisfil’s future Orbit transit hub.

The MZO will help expedite the building of Innisfil’s new GO Station, as well as the planning process for the surrounding Orbit – a new, cutting-edge community, centered around the new rail station. Designed to prevent urban sprawl, the Orbit will be sustainable, inclusive, and technologically advanced. This announcement will help the Town of Innisfil get shovels in the ground faster, secure private investment, and support local priorities and economic recovery as the province emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Today’s announcement is a good example of how our government is using Minister’s Zoning Orders, in partnership with municipalities, to help get shovels in the ground quickly on important projects that will benefit residents for generations,” said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. “This is an exciting community-building project and I am proud to be able to support the Orbit transit hub.”

“Our government is proud to work with our municipal partners to get one step closer to building a new Innisfil GO Station that will provide convenient transit to this growing community – at a lower cost to taxpayers,” said Stan Cho, Associate Minister of Transportation. “Through the Transit-Oriented Communities Program, we are building critical, reliable transit that is connected to vibrant, live-work-play communities that benefit individuals, families and businesses.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario