HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:40 AM

Someone over at SSC found this:

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:32 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:24 PM

Looks like it could be an interesting/good design plus a new tallest for Long Beach- awesome!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 4:07 PM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 7:42 PM

Good looking building

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:05 AM

Cool project.....But Jesus its in the wrong spot. That's in the center of downtown (directly across the street from the 3rd tallest) ....Its especially odd when you compare it to what was originally proposed on the site. If I remember correctly it was a 27-30 story building back in 2006-07 that had an attached 7 story.. until the recession kicked in and canceled Christmas..... But I will say that this packs in more units.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:07 AM

On a different note. The crane is up and running for the new civic center. That project is moving quicker than I thought.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
On a different note. The crane is up and running for the new civic center. That project is moving quicker than I thought.
Speaking of...

Work ramps up for $520-million Long Beach Civic Center redo

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:39 PM

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:39 AM
クラブトクヨ

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:06 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/csulb-plans...own-long-beach

CSULB Student Village in Downtown Long Beach

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:16 PM

Very nice! Long beach doing good things left and right!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 9:24 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:33 PM

Great news. Downtown is finally turning into something that it should have been a long time ago. Its always been a little neglected because of its location. Developers over looked it, city leaders just started caring. In the next 10 years, Long Beach will be a solid city. It just need dense developments and solid retail and attractions to get people down there.

Theres a 7 story development going up on 1st and Alamitos. Kinda amazing seeing how most buildings right next door are barely 2 floors tall.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Great news. Downtown is finally turning into something that it should have been a long time ago. Its always been a little neglected because of its location. Developers over looked it, city leaders just started caring. In the next 10 years, Long Beach will be a solid city. It just need dense developments and solid retail and attractions to get people down there.

Theres a 7 story development going up on 1st and Alamitos. Kinda amazing seeing how most buildings right next door are barely 2 floors tall.
I totally agree. Like Oakland (and to some degree Sacramento) in the north, Long Beach suffers from being in the shadow of it's larger more famous neighbor. There's so much *potential* in Long Beach. It has great weather and is the most walkable city in the area but I wonder about the air quality. I heard it's not so great because of the port and oil. So I understand why they focused on tourism to take up the slack of declining manufacturing but there's just nothing to really compel me to go to Long Beach. Although the Queen Mary/Urban Adventures project seems like a step in the right direction what would really appeal to me is dynamic oceanfront city and it's something that is missing in Southern California (San Diego is on a bay and Santa Monica is a suburb.) To make that happen LB needs a lot more residential towers. I'm just worried the old mentality is at play, especially now that there's the distraction of the 16-day 2028 Summer Olympics, eleven years from now.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:13 PM

The Aquarium of the Pacific is fantastic and worth visiting.

Regarding air quality, the port (I forget if it is the Port of Long Beach or LA) is spending significant money to transition to clean energy sources and clean trucks serving the port.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:00 PM

^^^ The Aquarium is nice. But. I always felt it was tooooo small. Especially since its the aquarium of the PACIFIC. It needs to be at least three times the size it is now. Last time I went, I walked around and did all of the "activities" in less than 30 minutes. There is plenty of room to expand., Over the water, Its HUGE parking lot that barely gets half full and the barely used park next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I totally agree. Like Oakland (and to some degree Sacramento) in the north, Long Beach suffers from being in the shadow of it's larger more famous neighbor. There's so much *potential* in Long Beach. It has great weather and is the most walkable city in the area but I wonder about the air quality. I heard it's not so great because of the port and oil. So I understand why they focused on tourism to take up the slack of declining manufacturing but there's just nothing to really compel me to go to Long Beach. Although the Queen Mary/Urban Adventures project seems like a step in the right direction what would really appeal to me is dynamic oceanfront city and it's something that is missing in Southern California (San Diego is on a bay and Santa Monica is a suburb.) To make that happen LB needs a lot more residential towers. I'm just worried the old mentality is at play, especially now that there's the distraction of the 16-day 2028 Summer Olympics, eleven years from now.
I Agree. Long Beach needs a solid 100k new units of some shape or form downtown. It dies quickly at night. And the nimby problem in Long Beach is probably one of the worst in ALL of LA. The amount of rundown 2-3 story neglected apartments that are located in the downtown area is just sad. Every time a developer comes in to build something. The Nimbys come in yelling and screaming with their pitchforks saying no. I'm surprised the City hall redevelopment got approval.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 10:02 AM

One of the worst for Nimby's in the LA area??????? That surprises me, having spent a night there in the downtown area a couple years ago.

I always thought the top honor for Nimby's was Santa Monica, which hasn't seen a new high rise since 1970!

A couple weeks ago I took the Santa Monica bus to downtown Santa Monica, and leading into the city, a mile or 2 east, I was amazed at all the low lying structures, car lots, car repair shops. It makes you wonder! What a far cry from Westwood!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
One of the worst for Nimby's in the LA area??????? That surprises me, having spent a night there in the downtown area a couple years ago.

I always thought the top honor for Nimby's was Santa Monica, which hasn't seen a new high rise since 1970!

A couple weeks ago I took the Santa Monica bus to downtown Santa Monica, and leading into the city, a mile or 2 east, I was amazed at all the low lying structures, car lots, car repair shops. It makes you wonder! What a far cry from Westwood!
What street were you on?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
What street were you on?
Santa Monica Boulevard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations