HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Why are they being so cautious about raising that crane up? Something to do with the FAA? How does it compare in height to the 100 Mill crane?
They’re doing the jack method for putting it up. The building height is around 300’..... so the crane is probably going to end up around 330’. That height is probably too high to be stand-alone without attachment to the building.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Why are they being so cautious about raising that crane up? Something to do with the FAA? How does it compare in height to the 100 Mill crane?
They probably pay more for rental of the tower crane with every section they climb up to.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:38 AM
Skyriser

^ The rumor here is they bought the crane.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:39 PM

Two things coming up on DRC & city council.

1. Mixed use at 98 s river drive (Rio East) requesting approval at DRC.
https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=87200

2. Tempe Depot final hearing requesting from approval from City Council on Thursday.
http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/m...doctype=AGENDA

Hopefully we see this one move right away shortly after.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Two things coming up on DRC & city council.

1. Mixed use at 98 s river drive (Rio East) requesting approval at DRC.
https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=87200

2. Tempe Depot final hearing requesting from approval from City Council on Thursday.
http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/m...doctype=AGENDA

Hopefully we see this one move right away shortly after.
Isn't the Rio East rezoning a reworked version of that "Millennial" project that was approved? It was apartments with a "food hall" on the corner which looked to me like just a normal retail strip center?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:39 PM

Rendering for Aura Apache at McClintock/Apache on the development tracker. Nice 5 story build, will be a major improvement to that area.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:11 PM

Tempe Depot Approved

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...lBPT0ifQ%3D%3D

The Tempe City Council unanimously gave approval to a plan by Phoenix-based Red Development to redevelop the Tempe Macayo’s Depot Cantina site into a mixed-use development, which also will preserve and restore the train depot on the site.

Red Development is planning to build a 17-story office tower totaling 319,000 square feet on the northern portion of the 2.5-acre site near Third Street and Ash Avenue, which is bisected by the light rail tracks, according to plans submitted to the city of Tempe. Plans call for constructing the two towers around and over the light rail tracks, creating a space where the train will travel through the buildings.

The office tower will include 10 stories of commercial office space, which the developer’s application to the city said will “entice creative tenants to meet today’s market need and future growth who can benefit from the downtown district.”

For the second tower, Red Development is planning an 18-story, five-star, full-service Hilton-branded hotel with up to 280 guest rooms, according to city documents. The hotel tower also will include 9,400 square feet of conference space, 15,225 square feet of street-level indoor retail and restaurant uses and 4,000 square feet of outdoor dining space on the ground floor. The eighth floor will have an amenity deck with a pool that will connect both towers.
“The site is a prime opportunity for redevelopment given its location within the downtown Tempe district and its proximity to the future streetcar, the light rail station at 3rd Street and Mill Avenue, Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake,” applicants wrote in the application to the city. “The site’s location also provides an opportunity to make a significant statement along Ash Avenue, the main western gateway into the downtown Tempe district, with the introduction of a high quality, commercial project representative of the ongoing private and public investment occurring in downtown Tempe.”

The project will have a seven-level above-ground parking garage totaling 418,630 square feet. SmithGroup is the architect for the project. As part of the development agreement, the existing train depot will be preserved and rehabilitated.

The depot was built in 1924 and is not listed on the Tempe Historic Properties Register, but was determined eligible for listing in the 1980s, according to documents from the city’s Historic Preservation Commission.

“The goal of the project is to celebrate the train depot, build a really exciting mixed-use project, but make sure we respect and celebrate the train depot,” Manjula Vaz, attorney with Gammage & Burnham representing Red Development, said during the council meeting.

One member of the public, a neighbor who lives near the planned development, spoke in opposition to the project, citing concerns about traffic and incompatibility with the neighborhood.

The city also approved an eight-year government property lease excise tax, or GPLET agreement for the project. The GPLET agreement would give the city title to the project after construction for an eight-year period. With the city holding the title, the property is not subject to property taxes for the eight years.

The city has another high-profile mixed-use development nearby that also incorporates historic preservation. The Hayden House, the former site of the Monti’s La Casa Vieja restaurant, is being rehabilitated to its 1924 condition as part of the redevelopment of that site for the 100 Mill mixed-use project. That, $153 million project, began construction on the commercial building in February and is being built as a partnership between Atlanta-based Cousins Properties and Houston-based Hines. Deloitte and Amazon have both leased office space at 100 Mill.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Thanks for posting. I really like as the article mentions that Tempe has managed to tastefully incorporate its small stock of historic buildings into big office projects. The restoration of the Hayden House looks fantastic, and hopefully the train depot is similarly well done. Also will be really good to have potential street car users along Ash--as it stands right now there's not much on that segment of the line besides parking and the fire station. Hopefully sometime there is a serious proposal on the big surface lot (owned by Bob Parsons last I knew).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:14 PM

100 Mill

Have I lost my mind or has 100 Mill scrubbed pics of the hotel from their website gallery? It's still in the video, but I could have sworn there was also a pic of it in the gallery

https://100milltempe.com/gallery

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
Have I lost my mind or has 100 Mill scrubbed pics of the hotel from their website gallery? It's still in the video, but I could have sworn there was also a pic of it in the gallery

https://100milltempe.com/gallery
I'm not up on this development as I should be, but it's not showing a hotel on the Hines renderings either (https://www.hines.com/properties/100-mill-tempe). I'm guessing it's still planned, just not on the renderings? Was the hotel finalized or subject to change?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I'm not up on this development as I should be, but it's not showing a hotel on the Hines renderings either (https://www.hines.com/properties/100-mill-tempe). I'm guessing it's still planned, just not on the renderings? Was the hotel finalized or subject to change?
All I remember is that the hotel rendering was there a few months ago. I use you guys for the nuts and bolts of these things actually getting to development

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
All I remember is that the hotel rendering was there a few months ago. I use you guys for the nuts and bolts of these things actually getting to development
I think the hotel is actually a separate development. It was approved separately by the DRC. But I would not be surprised if it was shelved due to Covid.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I think the hotel is actually a separate development. It was approved separately by the DRC. But I would not be surprised if it was shelved due to Covid.
Tempe's development tracker shows it as in review for a building permit, but I have no idea if it is still on track. It may very well have stalled.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 2:13 AM

It is a different developer than the office and the project is on hold till the hotel industry starts to recover. Developer put all their hotel projects in the valley on hold, including 100 Mill Hyatt and the dual branded 8-story Marriott at City North. So its not dead, but no idea when it will get going. It has already received DRB approval, so only final building permit needed.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:18 AM

Align Technology moves HQ to Watermark Tempe

I can’t read the article but this is great news! New HQ in Tempe!

Align Technology is the maker of Invisalign, and is a $43B company with over $2B in sales annually. Very big win for the city and state!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-to-tempe.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:

Align Technology is the maker of Invisalign, and is a $43B company with over $2B in sales annually. Very big win for the city and state!

Great news, but what is the $43B you are referring to?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Great news, but what is the $43B you are referring to?
Wow, yes, great for Tempe, great for Watermark, and hopefully great to encourage the other big office projects like Tempe Depot and the Novus stuff to build on spec if necessary.

The $43B is their market cap.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Wow, yes, great for Tempe, great for Watermark, and hopefully great to encourage the other big office projects like Tempe Depot and the Novus stuff to build on spec if necessary.

The $43B is their market cap.
Yeah, they're not a fortune 500 but they are a fortune 1000 at number 888. That's a big win.

The company’s San Jose campus remains the hub for its global innovation, product, and marketing organization and will become home to its new Digital Innovation Center, currently under construction. As part of the new corporate headquarters move, Align Technology President and CEO Joe Hogan, CFO and Senior Vice President, Global Finance John Morici, Senior Vice President, Chief Legal and Regulatory Officer Julie Coletti, and Senior Vice President, Global HR Stuart Hockridge have relocated their offices to Tempe. Approximately 150 employees, mostly in corporate general and administrative (G&A) roles, have been offered relocation packages. These employees have the option to relocate to Tempe or to continue working from their current locations. Relocation is not required and there are no layoffs associated with this move.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:41 PM

I believe this was already mentioned but there is a public hearing for the 433 S. Farmer Ave Case name Downtown Flats PL2000275 for Tue Feb 9th 6pm virtual meeting tempe.gov. And tentative City council hearings Feb 11 Mar 25th. Talks about 367 dwellings (65 du/ac). 8 stories mixed use. cool

Also, there was a mention of Carvana hiring 1000. The media mentioned Phoenix but going to the job descriptions it talks about the offices in Tempe. After the covid to return to office. So that is cool.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I believe this was already mentioned but there is a public hearing for the 433 S. Farmer Ave Case name Downtown Flats PL2000275 for Tue Feb 9th 6pm virtual meeting tempe.gov. And tentative City council hearings Feb 11 Mar 25th. Talks about 367 dwellings (65 du/ac). 8 stories mixed use. cool

Also, there was a mention of Carvana hiring 1000. The media mentioned Phoenix but going to the job descriptions it talks about the offices in Tempe. After the covid to return to office. So that is cool.
Carvana isn’t back to office and won’t be for a while - new hires are remote until that point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest