HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:30 AM
skyscrapers!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-downtown.html

Some news from Central Station. It appears that the primary delay in the Central Station development was getting approval from the Federal Transit Administration to build on the site. From what I know, FTA required the developer to present a plan to maintain full transit operations at Central Station while his development was under construction. I don't know what stage he was in with FTA. With the speed of the federal government, who knows how long negotiations and talks would have taken. In any case, the developer has passed and there is more doubt that ever that this project can move forward. Maybe the city will move back to the drawing board and issue another RFP. A large part of me hopes that the city will revisit the other proposals from the last round of RFPs and select from that pool. Those proposals were a little bit more daring and urban, but could still fit the current context of downtown Phoenix. The saga continues....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:46 PM

Wow, that same thing happened in Tempe and ultimately killed USAplace. Not saying that was the one and only cause, we know there were many other factors, but it was the first blow.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Dissapointing but not surprising. This project bas been two years in the making and whether the guy died or not was not the reason it collapsed. Hopefully, a new better proposal moves forward in its place.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 11:10 PM
Modulator

Not really any news. Just noticed that Davis Experience re-organized their website and there's a new layout rendering of what their proposal for Central Station would have been. The office tower would have had an angle to it, so it wouldn't have been a box which would have been a good touch.

Too bad this wasn't selected the first go around. But I do wonder if Davis is still going to push something similar to this design since they've added to the rendering page or if it's just to showcase their designs?

https://thedavisexperience.com/proje...entral-station

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 11:18 PM

That' an old rendering. This was the proposal not selected.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 11:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
That' an old rendering. This was the proposal not selected.
Yes, I'm aware of this. But the layout (3rd rendering to the right) was not posted previously. I posted this just to show what the layout would have been.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Yes, I'm aware of this. But the layout (3rd rendering to the right) was not posted previously. I posted this just to show what the layout would have been.
According to the rumor mill Davis plans to re-apply when Central Station gets re-RFP'd

Also the RFP for central and Adams is coming up.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
According to the rumor mill Davis plans to re-apply when Central Station gets re-RFP'd

Also the RFP for central and Adams is coming up.
According to an email I received from Lisa Davis in early January:

"Our client for Phoenix Central Station is Forum Capital. It is our understanding that they remain very interested in this critical redevelopment opportunity and would likely pursue the RFP when it is reissued. "

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:47 PM
Modulator

I really hope they get selected. I really like there designs. While I am on the topic, all the buildings on the Davis Homepage appear to be proposed/built developments in Phoenix and Tempe. So what is the tall one with the spire? Was that something that was thrown around for Phoenix at one time or another or is this in another city? It does look familiar, but I can't seem to place it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:15 AM

That looks alot like one of those Toll Brothers towers that was proposed over a decade ago.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Is it me or is Davis bad luck when they submit for a project? They've proposed so many projects that never get built. I'm not saying they're directly responsible, but man, I cringe when I see they're tied to a project in some way...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
Is it me or is Davis bad luck when they submit for a project? They've proposed so many projects that never get built. I'm not saying they're directly responsible, but man, I cringe when I see they're tied to a project in some way...
They're complete projects far outweigh their proposed projects. They basically did the entire Rio Solado Lake Front.

They do good work.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They're complete projects far outweigh their proposed projects. They basically did the entire Rio Solado Lake Front.

They do good work.
I appreciate that. That gives me hope.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:05 PM

For years Davis has been trying to expand out from design related services and has tried to get into development. They just can't seem to find a reliable partner in order to build their street cred.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Behind the paywall, so here's the text.

Phoenix to consider development for Central Station location

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Jun 15, 2018, 12:20pm MST Updated Jun 15, 2018, 12:41pm

Phoenix is readying a redevelopment request for a downtown parcel to incorporate the Central Station transit depot — again.

In 2013, the city chose a developer to create a high-rise apartment complex on the 2.6-acre site, bounded by First Avenue to the west, Central Avenue to the east, Polk Street to the north and Van Buren Street to the south.

During the planning process, developer Bill Smith of Chicago-based Smithfield Properties died. His family opted not to continue the process and sent the city back to the drawing board.

“Downtown is a far different place than it was in 2013,” said Chris Mackay, Phoenix's community and economic development director. “At the time, there was no high-rise residential, so the city had a bent focus on residential. Now, the concept is to issue this as a true mixed-use site.”

Transit must be the development's first priority, meaning it must be functional for those riding Valley Metro buses and light rail. Mackay said ground-floor commercial — such as a grocery store, café and retail space — would be welcomed. Seating areas, shade and drinking fountains for passengers waiting for a bus or train would also enhance the site.

“We want to create a space that draws people in,” Mackay said.

The city will benefit from a long-term revenue stream from the property's lease, and the city is aiming to create as much density near the light-rail stations as possible, Mackay said.

“It creates more of an 18-hour economy here,” she said.

Mackay pointed out there is a very low vacancy rate for office space downtown, so office space, residential uses, hotels and other uses would be welcome proposals.

The parcel's zoning designation allows for nearly any use, Mackay said, minus industrial or manufacturing uses.

The site is directly south of Civic Space Park, which is not included in the request and will remain a park regardless of what is built as an outcome of the RFP.

“We want to create a sense of place with the development,” Mackay said. “It can’t be a development that’s just a box. The new developments are redefining what downtown looks like, what our skyline looks like – and the same-old, same-old development won’t succeed on this corner.”

The city has a plan for what will happen with light rail and bus service during construction, but Mackay said generally these projects happen in phases, which could diminish some effects on transit service.

The project has garnered national and international interest, Mackay said.

Tentative plans are for the City Council to release the RFP on June 25. The proposals are expected to be due in August. Mackay said once the proposals go through the review process, a developer is selected and negotiations are complete, construction could begin on the parcel in late 2020.

Interested developers can sign up for notifications from the city about development requests for proposals at Phoenix.gov/EconDev and clicking on the “Hot List” button.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 11:50 PM
Modulator

Just hoping Davis gets another shot at this. Davis likes to think big. Central Station needs to be Phoenix's signature project.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Just hoping Davis gets another shot at this. Davis likes to think big. Central Station needs to be Phoenix's signature project.
+1

Downtown needs a Marina Heights caliber development. Give it to Davis!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
+1

Downtown needs a Marina Heights caliber development. Give it to Davis!
There proposal also would have just barely topped out above chase.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I really hope they get selected. I really like there designs. While I am on the topic, all the buildings on the Davis Homepage appear to be proposed/built developments in Phoenix and Tempe. So what is the tall one with the spire? Was that something that was thrown around for Phoenix at one time or another or is this in another city? It does look familiar, but I can't seem to place it.

This looks to me a like a development that was proposed back in the 1980‘s. Some French developer, Georges Schriqui, then proposed the world‘s tallest building, based on Frank Lloyd Wright‘s "Mile High" design for Chicago. I think it was supposed to go around where the Central Library is now. I can‘t find much about it online, but do remember seeing the design as a kid when it was in the papers, and then later in a skyscraper architecture book in the mid 90‘s.

Perhaps Davis is playing with that old idea.

Last edited by jvbahn; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:48 PM
Modulator

Quote:
There proposal also would have just barely topped out above chase.
True. However Chase at 483' for some reason just doesn't seem that tall to me. It appears more like 450'. Maybe it's just the design of the tower. Even if Davis beat Chase by only 17', it will give us that "we finally got a 500 footer!" euphoria. Maybe that could lead to an even taller tower much sooner if Central Station is highly successful.

This is all moot until we see some proposals. Guess we'll have to wait to see what's selected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest