HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:39 PM

Part of the main issue (to me) is that people have strong feelings about the part of the place within HRM. "I'm from Dartmouth or I'm from Sackville" and there hasn't been as much acceptance of the greater community. I really don't know how that question gets solved - other than continually reminding folks that the likelihood that HRM would break up is virtually none.

I remember that before HRM existed; many of the airline schedules showed Halifax in their schedules as Halifax/Dartmouth. After we became HRM - it just became Halifax. Being from Halifax, I never had an issue with the name but I also never understood this huge issue with the name not including Dartmouth or Sackville or anything else. If we had to list every community - the name would be ridiculous. Would the answer to this issue be that ensuring in documents HRM produces the history of how HRM came to be acknowledged all the other 'former' cities/entities? For example: Having text about HRM; then about old Halifax/Dartmouth and the pre-amalgamation entities?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Part of the main issue (to me) is that people have strong feelings about the part of the place within HRM. "I'm from Dartmouth or I'm from Sackville" and there hasn't been as much acceptance of the greater community. I really don't know how that question gets solved - other than continually reminding folks that the likelihood that HRM would break up is virtually none.

I remember that before HRM existed; many of the airline schedules showed Halifax in their schedules as Halifax/Dartmouth. After we became HRM - it just became Halifax. Being from Halifax, I never had an issue with the name but I also never understood this huge issue with the name not including Dartmouth or Sackville or anything else. If we had to list every community - the name would be ridiculous. Would the answer to this issue be that ensuring in documents HRM produces the history of how HRM came to be acknowledged all the other 'former' cities/entities? For example: Having text about HRM; then about old Halifax/Dartmouth and the pre-amalgamation entities?
I think the sentiment will die down as time goes on. Speaking from a personal point of view, I grew up in Dartmouth when Dartmouth was its own city. It had a distinct feel that was very different from Halifax at the time - more of a small-town feel IMHO. Dartmouth had its own police department, its own City Works (which I remember always cleared snow better than Halifax... lol), its own bus system (until Metro Transit), etc. etc.

Since HRM, the differences in the communities has been fading away, and the "Dartmouth" of today is very different from the Dartmouth I grew up in (as is the rest of the world). In my mind I still differentiate between the communities that were combined to make HRM, though I now recognize it as all being Halifax. Other than postal addresses still being labelled for their former town/city name, I don't see much difference from community to community anymore.

I think as the younger generations grow and have only ever known it as H/\LIF/\X, they will only know the former communities by their postal addresses, and this will no longer be an issue.

To be honest, I think all the opposition against the branding (except that I'm still not happy with the upside down "V"s... lol) is a waste of energy. Time to accept change and move on.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues