Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2005, 7:20 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Taiwan Stadium Projects

Taipei Dome
Project Type: BOT
Capacity:45,000
Primary Use: Baseball
*The project is going through another design phase - all of the renderings below are of past proposals.

Taoyuan County Dome
Project Type: 70 year BOT
Capacity: 30,000
Primary Use: Baseball
Site: 9.7 hectares

Budget: NT$18.1 billion (US$562 million)
Central Government: NT$3.35 billion
Taoyuan County: NT$3.35 billion
Though a BOT agreement has been reached, government funding for the project has yet to be finalized.

Promotional Image

Hsinchu County Stadium
Capacity: 25,000

Last edited by Coyett; Apr 9, 2005 at 10:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 5:31 PM
Bamboo Tiger

The new BOT team for the Taipei Dome consists of Far Glory, HOK, and Obayashi. Their design envisions the stadium opposite the SYSM - versus the earlier approved plan that had it at the south- west corner. In addition to altering the original plan to include substantially more commercial space, they are also requesting the city to increase the height restrictions to 90m for the buildings and 75m for the stadium. Officials opposed to the plan claim repositioning the stadium will eliminate the plaza and nature park that form a link from the old factory to the memorial. Moreover, approving this proposal will also mean a complete redesign of the master plan for the BOT Sungshan site.

A chorus of city politicians are demanding that Ma declare the BOT doucument void and reopen the tender!

Last edited by Coyett; Jun 16, 2005 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2005, 7:12 AM

anyone has the rendering for the new taipei dome?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 9:13 AM

遠雄闖關失利 台北巨蛋要重孵

■ 記者楊文琪/台北報導

台北巨蛋甄審結果跌破眼鏡,甄審委員會昨(5)日開會決議,不接受遠雄所提新的合作團隊,要求遠雄一個月內找回原協力廠商日本竹中工務店、原廣司建築師事務所,與市府完成議約作業,逾期將宣布廢標,擇期重新公告招標。

對於甄審委員會的決定,遠雄表示,這個結果令人遺憾與不解,已經脫離專業的考量,原來的巨蛋規劃不適合台北市政府,他們也不可能將原合作夥伴找回,後續是否要向市府求償,或參與第二次公告招標,待內部討論後再決定。遠雄的說法,形同宣告台北巨蛋已經流標。

昨天的甄審委員會從晚上6時30分開始,直到8時40分才結束,出席的16位甄審委員對於遠雄提出美國HOK、日本大林組等新的合作夥伴,同意與不同意兩派意見僵持不下,最後以投票方式表決,結果不同意者居多。

甄審委員會主席台北市財政局長李述德表示,多數甄審委員認為,當初遠雄所提台北巨蛋建設規劃案,是與日本竹中工務店、原廣司建築師事務所等合作,原團隊提出的規劃案使遠雄獲得最優申請人資格,應以原團隊的設計規劃為簽約主體,所以不同意遠雄提出的新合作團隊。

李述德強調,甄審委員僅就是否同意變更合作夥伴進行討論,沒有就美國HOK與日本大林組興建巨蛋的技術、能力、經驗與實績進行審查,也就是說,沒有否定他們的實力,如果遠雄無法以原團隊與市府簽約,此案將宣布廢標,擇期重新公告,市府將退回遠雄繳交的3,000萬元押標金。

遠雄事業團董事長趙藤雄聆聽李述德等市府官員說明後,面色極為凝重,他表示,這種結果令人無法接受,第二次招標時如果劉培森與竹中工務店以原規劃案投標,將發生智慧財產權的問題,爭議永遠沒完沒了。

教育局長吳清基則說,未來只要符合招標規範,有技術、經驗、能力的廠商,都歡迎參與投標,至於智慧財產權的問題,確實須進行認定。

李述德表示,此案爭議相當大,所以甄審委員主觀認定不同意遠雄新的團隊,市府必須接受甄審委員會的決議,依程序辦理,雖然會使台北巨蛋的興建時程往後拉長,但「切的乾乾淨淨」,對日後再公告招標未嘗不是一件好事。

台北巨蛋體育館基地位於忠孝東路四段前菸酒公賣局松山菸廠,南側與國父紀念館隔街相望,屬於台北市東區精華地段,巨蛋預定地面積達10.8公頃,採設定地上權50年方式,供廠商興建相關商業設施,總投資規模約415億元,其中民間投資金額約165至180億元間。

【2005/07/06 經濟日報】

Old Posted Jul 6, 2005, 2:50 PM
Bamboo Tiger

I don't understand why the issues surrounding a new design were not resolved immediately after the break up of Liu & Far Glory. What a f**king mess!

Last edited by Coyett; Jul 7, 2005 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 6:32 PM
Bamboo Tiger

As host of the 2009 Deaflympics, Taipei is looking for NT$2 billion (US$ 62 million) from central government to renovate Taipei Municipal Stadium. For the half the cost, Portugal built entirely new stadiums for euro 2004.

Taipei Stadium
Built: 1959
Capacity: 25,000

Estadio Algarve, pictutred below, was a venue for euro 2004. It was constructed for a mere US$34 million.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 11:35 PM

just to renovate?
w/ that much of $ i wish they rebuild the whole stadium, it looks kinda crappy next to taipei arena = =

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan ren
I don't understand why the issues surrounding a new design were not resolved immediately after the break up of Liu & Far Glory. What a f**king mess!
lol apprently the new design has some issues about 1st and 3rd outfield seatings, lets just hope the next design will be better

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 4:51 PM
Bamboo Tiger

GOVERNMENT OKS 2009 KAOHSIUNG WORLD GAMES MAIN STADIUM PROJECT
2005/07/04

Taipei, July 4 (CNA) The Council for Economic Planning and
Development (CEPD) approved Monday a project to construct the main stadium for the 2009 Kaohsiung World Games but cut the construction budget from an initially proposed NT$9.2 billion to NT$5 billion, with another NT$793 million earmarked for organizing the games. The reason given for reducing the budget was that 40,000 seats will be enough to host the opening and closing ceremonies of the games, not the proposed 70,000 seats. Still, once completed, the stadium will be Taiwan's largest.
If need be, the stadium can be expanded into a 55,000-seat
structure suitable for hosting Asian Games, said Li Kao-hsiang,
director of sports facilities at the National Council on Physical
Fitness and Sports.
The 2009 World Games will feature 31 official sports and three
demonstration sports, with over 3,000 athletes and support staff from 90 countries participating, Li said. The CEPD said the stadium project will create a synergy for southern Taiwan sports, leisure, entertainment and tourism industries
and boost the local economy. The construction contract will be awarded in accordance with government regulations and the private sector will be invited to join in the operation of the stadium after the games.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City gives assurance to stadium bid firms Kaohsiung says World Games project will not resemble Guggenheim debacle

July 9, 2005
South China Morning Post

INFRASTRUCTURE

Tim Culpan in Taipei

Taiwan's Kaohsiung city government yesterday outlined an ambitious plan to tender and complete a sports park and stadium in three years, playing down concerns over the island's public tender environment.

City officials told potential bidders yesterday the budget was assured and the project would proceed smoothly without political problems.

Domestic and foreign companies are being invited to bid for the right to build a 40,000-seat sports stadium on a 19-hectare site that will play host to the 2009 World Games. The winning bidder will need to begin work in January next year, and complete the project by January 2009.

However, foreign and local construction companies have shied away from large -scale government building tenders in the wake of last year's Guggenheim debacle.
Taichung City had secured an agreement from the Guggenheim foundation to build a branch of the famed museum in the central Taiwan city, but the deal fell through because of budget concerns. It may be revived if the money can be secured.

Kaohsiung will not face the same problem, according to acting mayor Chen Chi -mai. Kaohsiung's elected mayor, Frank Hsieh, is now the premier of Taiwan.

"The main problem that arose out of that Guggenheim project was that city councillors were apprehensive about site selection, the Taiwan government already approved the budget so it was a city government problem," Mr Chen said.

However, the problem was that budgetary promises from the Taiwan government came too late for the Guggenheim foundation while Taichung city councillors had declined to bankroll the US$ 250 million project.

Kaohsiung's World Games Stadium budget is NT$ 5 billion ($ 1.2 billion) and will be funded entirely by the central government, said Charles Lin, director of the Kaohsiung City Bureau of Public Works. The budget has already been approved and secured, he said.

Despite the assurance of funds, foreigner bidders remained concerned about the bidding and construction environment which fails to meet international standards.

"Right now the laws are not good enough, it's not a good environment for foreign companies," said Matthieu Lefort, commercial attache for the French Institute in Taipei. "They have a feeling that there's a third way, a Taiwan way."

Despite claims the World Stadium will be an international project, foreign participation will be severely limited. Among the restrictions is the limitation of foreign involvement in joint-tenders on the design and construction supply portions of the project. Construction, architecture and even water and electrical appliances must be completed by Taiwan firms.

The winning bidder will not be allowed to hire foreign labour, Mr Lin said. Labour from Thailand and Indonesia is common in Taiwan.

Last edited by Coyett; Jul 11, 2005 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 6:09 AM
Bamboo Tiger

Far Glory spars with Taipei City

STADIUM PROJECT: A spat between the Far Glory Group and the city is escalating over the make-up of the team of firms that is supposed to build the dome stadium
By Jessie Ho
STAFF REPORTER
Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005,Page 10
The Far Glory Group (遠雄企業團), leader of an alliance contracted to construct Taipei's first dome stadium, yesterday refused to accept a Taipei City Government review committee's July 5 rejection of changes to its construction team, and said it plans to take the issue to an international court for arbitration.

"We hope the city government will hold a public hearing to clarify the doubtful decision-making process, or we will take legal action against the committee to defend our interests," Chao Teng-hsiung (趙藤雄), chairman of Far Glory, told a press conference yesterday.

In mid-May, a construction team led by Far Glory won the contract to build the multi-function stadium on the site of the historic Sungshan Tobacco Factory (松山菸廠) in downtown Taipei. The construction of the 45,000-seat stadium was supposed to begin last September and be completed in December 2007.

But Far Glory was forced to make changes to its team after Ricky Liu & Associates (劉培森建築師事務所), the appointed designer of the stadium, pulled out of the build-operate-transfer (BOT) project in October last year after a disagreement over the allotment of shares in a planned dome company.

A Taipei City Government review committee agreed to let Far Glory replace its construction team, as long as the substitute's capability was equivalent to or better than the original one.

After a meeting in May and one last Tuesday, the committee ruled that the new team, made up of HOK Sport+Venue+Event and Japanese construction firm Obayashi Corp, was not as good as the original one, composed of Ricky Liu & Associates, Japanese constructor Takenaka Corp and Japanese architect Hiroshi Hara.

The committee then demanded that Far Glory retain the old team, or re-tender its bid.

Chao defended the new team, and said that HOK is the top choice for the Taipei Superdome. Chao described the firm as the world's best stadium designer, having completed seven Olympic stadium projects and 10 stadiums with over 40,000 seats each. Although Takenaka, one of the original team members, has designed several large stadiums in Japan, including the Osaka Dome and the Nagoya Dome, it pales in comparison to HOK in terms of the size of its staff, experience and number of projects accomplished, Chao said.

Paul Henry, senior principal of HOK who also attended the press conference, added that the alliance's design is better than Takenaka's proposal, which copies the Sapporo Dome.

"We are offended by the [committee's] suggestion that we don't have the best experience to design the dome," Henry said.

Chao further said he suspected that Ricky Liu (劉培森) had colluded with the committee members to pass the resolution after Chao declined to consent to Liu's request for a considerable kickback of around NT$4 billion to NT$5 billion from the project.

In response, Lee Sush-der (李述德), director of the Taipei City Government's Department of Finance and the commissioner of the committee, said that Far Glory can appeal to the city government through the proper administrative procedures. The committee will decide what to do after receiving official notice from the company, he said.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 7:42 AM
Utopia Society

hope it doesn't turn into another deadlock project, in which the project is not going any way till the dispute is over. i think far glory is a pretty dodgy company (i.e the company loves to rip-off contractors by holding onto their payments for as long as possible or simply don't pay them for the work performed, and there has been repeated reports on dodgy construction quality of their past projects too...). i believe it's actually a good thing that far glory fails to win the stadium project.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 8:10 AM
Bamboo Tiger

I don't know your sources, but Far Glory has been around for thirty-five years. They built the Black Pearl in Neihu, Ocean Park in Hualien, Free trade Cargo Terminal in Taoyuan, and the MIFC in Sungshan. As far as I know, they actually have a good reputation for innovation and quality construction.

Far Glory is proposing HOK, global leaders in stadium construction, design the new dome, but the city says they are not qualified.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 11:37 AM
Utopia Society

it's from a chinese source, next magazine (perhaps around a year ago). it was stated in the magazine, that the hualien ocean park project has forced numerous contractors out of business due to mr chao's unwillingness to pay for the work performed. it also stated the far glory's business practice of substituting pre-specified building materials for cheaper alternatives. those practices are obviously utilised to make bonanzas for the company, either by exploiting smaller players or making compromises in undesirable areas. however, the source is somewhat unreliable hence should not be taken with full credit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 3:40 PM
Bamboo Tiger

I'd be surprised if the story in Next is more than 9 months old. When the contract was orginally awarded there was nothing but praise from local media. The print campaign to take down FG only started after Liu & Far Glory stopped cooperating. I'm not defending them, but it seems to me that the claims in the Next article apply to every construction company in Taiwan. The Taiwanese construction industry has put garbage mixed with concrete in support peirs, used radioactive rebar, and regularly bribed officials to grant construction permits in locations prone to landslides. Standards in Taiwan are shockingly low...... I think it's a bit unfair to blame FG for a problem that exists within every facet of society.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2005, 3:44 AM
Utopia Society

i guess you are right, to an extend taiwan does have a myriad of dodgy construction companies. from my understanding, the original Japanese constructor Takenaka Corp and Japanese architect Hiroshi Hara pulled out bcz far glory was going to slash the origin construction fund to an extend that was deemed unsafe to construct and unprofitable for the japanese partners and the outcome was the dissolution of the original team.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2005, 11:25 PM
ùH

My friend told me that Taipei Dome is almost near its completion. She lives close by it!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2005, 11:27 PM
ùH

Taipei Dome

My friend told me that Taipei Dome is almost near its completion. She lives close by it!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2005, 11:27 PM
ùH

Taipei Dome

Old Posted Jul 24, 2005, 12:34 AM
ROF

I think you are talking about Taipei Arena.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2005, 3:18 AM
ùH

Taipei Arena near completion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duabi
I think you are talking about Taipei Arena.
You are right! Sorry... since, she spoke to me in chinese = little taipei dome (egg). Thus, I mis-typed it here.

:nuts:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan