HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:30 PM

'Huge demand for empty-nester housing'

There's an interesting story in todays newspaper about the town houses that developer Pierre Martel says he's been selling as fast as he can build. He states that they're sold even before the foundations are in the ground. He plans to build about 100 new units in the Jonathan Park subdivision.

An interesting feature is that the homes will receive lawn-care maintenance & snow removal under a mandatory service agreement. This concept is based on gated communities in Florida, and is the only master community plan in Atlantic Canada geared towards empty nesters.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agreed.

Ideally, the traffic circle should be de facto three lanes (or 2.5 lanes if you prefer).

The outside lane should be for traffic entering via one access point and leaving the circle via the next exit. For example Paul St -> Wheeler Blvd, Wheeler Blvd -> Main St and Main St/Champlain St -> Paul St.

The middle lane (current outside lane) should be for traffic accessing the circle from Veterans Highway proceeding on to Main St, From Wheeler Blvd proceeding to Champlain St/Veteran Highway, or in general, traffic planning to leave traffic flow two exits down the road.

The inside lane should be for traffic accessing the circle from Veterans Highway proceeding to Champlain or Paul Streets, or for excess traffic flow.
I agree with the items mentioned.... if people knew how to use signal lights and respected solid lines. The main problem with multiple lane traffic circles are drivers, not the lanes or ramps or whatever. Some just drive all over the place and haven't used a signal light since the day they past the driving test. Others drive like "no one is getting in front of me" and tailgate like crazy, not letting people change lanes. Then you have the ones that think there time is more important than everyone else and fly around, cutting across two lanes at crazy speeds for an exit ramp.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Hall's Creek (Dieppe) traffic circle is now open.

I drove through it this morning, and what an improvement!! Before the repaving, when entering and navigating the traffic circle, I spent just as much mental effort concentrating on pothole dodging as I did with lane switching so I could take the proper exit. It was getting to be a real traffic hazard. This is no longer a problem.

I was under the impression however that they were going to lengthen the onramp from Paul Street onto the circle. They did not do this, although they did widen the shoulders in this location, so that you can now do an emergency deviation to the shoulder if there were a risk of imminent collision while attempting to merge. I guess this is a bit of an improvement, but not what I was expecting...........

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I drove through it this morning, and what an improvement!! Before the repaving, when entering and navigating the traffic circle, I spent just as much mental effort concentrating on pothole dodging as I did with lane switching so I could take the proper exit. It was getting to be a real traffic hazard. This is no longer a problem.

I was under the impression however that they were going to lengthen the onramp from Paul Street onto the circle. They did not do this, although they did widen the shoulders in this location, so that you can now do an emergency deviation to the shoulder if there were a risk of imminent collision while attempting to merge. I guess this is a bit of an improvement, but not what I was expecting...........
I was thinking the same thing, I drove through it the other day and noticed that it wasn’t extended at all.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was thinking the same thing, I drove through it the other day and noticed that it wasn’t extended at all.
Odd thing is the shoulder beyond it is MASSIVE. Looks like it just had to be painted appropriately...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:

They really should have expanded this ramp. Right now, it's a yield, not a merge. Many drivers coming off of Paul St don't treat it as such, though. If they extended it, they may be able to make it an actual merge.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:

I've driven around it once and the lines usage is just strange, if you get in the outside lane, it's a solid line (not a broken change lane line) past where you would be expected to merge in to continue round the traffic circle. For people that don't know the traffic circle...this could be VERY confusing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
I've driven around it once and the lines usage is just strange, if you get in the outside lane, it's a solid line (not a broken change lane line) past where you would be expected to merge in to continue round the traffic circle. For people that don't know the traffic circle...this could be VERY confusing.
The overhead signs indicate the lane designations prior to you entering the traffic circle. The objective is to cut down on weaving and lane changes inside the circle.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The overhead signs indicate the lane designations prior to you entering the traffic circle. The objective is to cut down on weaving and lane changes inside the circle.
Until the lines wear off and things are back to normal...but even so, the lines as configured indicate you can't change lanes if you are in the wrong one, even some of the broken lines near an exit (to Paul St. for example) are almost on top of the actual exit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:33 PM

I was always under the impression they were NOT extending the onramp to the four lane heading towards Shediac, and always wondered why a lot of people thought that they were. Either way, I wish they would have extended it.
On the topic of the lines, I'm sure we'll all quickly find that no one pays one iota of attention to the lines. They certainly never have in the past.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 11:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to this Huddle article, Moncton is on a short list of 3-4 cities being considered for a major expansion by Infosys.

https://huddle.today/moncton-on-the-...ian-expansion/

Quote:
“We’re exploring new cities where we could set up our hub and do the incremental hiring. New Brunswick – Moncton – is one of the potential locations,” said president Ravi Kumar. “The reason is very simple – it is a region which has more than 19,000 people who work in technology and business processing functions, not just for Canadian clients but also for clients in other parts of the world.”
Quote:
for its third Canadian office, Kumar said Infosys is “evaluating three or four cities,” including Moncton, Montreal and Calgary.
Although they aren't specific about the size of this operation, just perusing the article, I get the impression it will be well north of 1,000 employees. If they choose Moncton, they could be a great tenant for 1222 Main Street.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I was always under the impression they were NOT extending the onramp to the four lane heading towards Shediac, and always wondered why a lot of people thought that they were. Either way, I wish they would have extended it.
On the topic of the lines, I'm sure we'll all quickly find that no one pays one iota of attention to the lines. They certainly never have in the past.
The on ramp extension was supposed to be the on-ramp going towards the traffic circle, not heading towards Shediac.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The on ramp extension was supposed to be the on-ramp going towards the traffic circle, not heading towards Shediac.
Oh, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 12:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CCD Canada has a listing online for "ALPA Equipment Moncton".

ALPA is a forestry and construction heavy equipment dealer, currently with locations in Balmoral, Edmundston, Fredericton and Truro.

https://www.alpaequipment.com

With this notice on CCD Canada, it would appear they are planning on building a dealership in Moncton too, presumably within one of the industrial parks. We'll keep an eye on this one. The new Moncton East Business Park would be an ideal location for something like this, especially regarding visibility and access from the TCH

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 12:54 AM

There was something in the newspaper a few months ago about them setting up shop here. Here's confirmation on their FB page but they offer scant details.

https://www.facebook.com/alpaequipme...208030/?type=3

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:41 AM

TD Insurance opened a contact centre in Moncton

The number of jobs created is unknown to me. It will serve as support for customer service (sale) for the Atlantic market and eventually the overflow for Québec. It is located within the TD Bank campus.

I am not aware as to why Moncton was chosen over Saint John or Halifax but I know the struggle to hire or attract fluent bilingual people to Saint John. Good news for Moncton.Actually, in two year span, I think TD employs more people in Moncton than Saint John. Here’s a good example of how having a bilingual workplace pays off.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

How big is the workforce at TD in Moncton now Erick?

I think it was supposed to be about 1200. Is it larger than that now?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:50 AM

Quote:
How big is the workforce at TD in Moncton now Erick?

I think it was supposed to be about 1200. Is it larger than that now?
I believe it’s around 1000 people as of now , excluding the new hiring from TD Insurance.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Residential Contruction Leads The Way In Moncton
Oct 29, 2020
by Huddle Staff
https://huddle.today/residential-con...ay-in-moncton/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The agenda for the November meeting of the Moncton PAC is out - mostly minor issues.

https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...sory-committee

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces