HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Let's say that all money the province collects stays within the Region/District/RM,etc. Sudbury and Timmins would have better highways than Toronto. The Resource sector is what keeps the province in the black.
(For everyone here) According to swimmer_spe, the stock exchange in Toronto is powered by the mines in the north. How accurate is this?

=====
@swimmer_spe, I do apologize that what I've told you in private differs wildly from what I've posted here, but that's because it's hard for me to tell which one is the accurate depiction of the status quo. As much as you're annoyed by that, it's hard when even I have to take your words with a considerable amount of grain and salt.

=====
I'm the OP here so I don't mind talking about politics, economy, you name it, here too. Everything's related anyway, with road access being a piece of the puzzle. Most other OP's are usually strict about digressions.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
(For everyone here) According to swimmer_spe, the stock exchange in Toronto is powered by the mines in the north. How accurate is this?

=====
@swimmer_spe, I do apologize that what I've told you in private differs wildly from what I've posted here, but that's because it's hard for me to tell which one is the accurate depiction of the status quo. As much as you're annoyed by that, it's hard when even I have to take your words with a considerable amount of grain and salt.

=====
I'm the OP here so I don't mind talking about politics, economy, you name it, here too. Everything's related anyway, with road access being a piece of the puzzle. Most other OP's are usually strict about digressions.
The silver and gold mines along Highway 11 are what started the TSX. Yes, it has since diversified, however, are you really going to tell me it makes more than all the mines in Northern ON?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Yes, it has since diversified, however, are you really going to tell me it makes more than all the mines in Northern ON?
The diversification? I'll leave that for y'all who are much older than me to answer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The diversification? I'll leave that for y'all who are much older than me to answer.
The TSX used to only be for the mines and minerals. Now, it is a regular stock market with companies that are not involved in mineral extraction. That is how it has diversified.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Let's say that all money the province collects stays within the Region/District/RM,etc. Sudbury and Timmins would have better highways than Toronto. The Resource sector is what keeps the province in the black.
Swimmer spe, your blinded by your northern Ontario nationalism.

According to the government of Ontario primary industries comprise 1.9% of Ontario's GDP.

https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy...cent-large.jpg

So, less than 6% of the population of the province's population is primarily engaged in an industry that comprises of less than 2% of the provinces GDP.

This information wasn't hard to find:
https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/ecaccts/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Swimmer spe, your blinded by your northern Ontario nationalism.

According to the government of Ontario primary industries comprise 1.9% of Ontario's GDP.

https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy...cent-large.jpg

So, less than 6% of the population of the province's population is primarily engaged in an industry that comprises of less than 2% of the provinces GDP.

This information wasn't hard to find:
https://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/ecaccts/
Thank you for showing me this. I did think it was higher.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:13 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://investingnews.com/daily/reso...ndex-weighted/
I was gonna share this too. Financial sector took up 28.6% (two seventh) of the index, though, yes, material sector's up next at 14.1 (one seventh).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://mobile.twitter.com/jpags/sta...65982833004545
Keep dreaming.
What if (ever) the provincial government decides to upload all the municipal expressways (i.e. Gardiner, DVP, Allen, Highbury, EC Row, The Queensway after the split, Maley Drive, Sudbury Road 55) though?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Keep dreaming.
What if (ever) the provincial government decides to upload all the municipal expressways (i.e. Gardiner, DVP, Allen, Highbury, EC Row, The Queensway after the split, Maley Drive, Sudbury Road 55) though?
I would support if municipally owned roads were legally allowed to be tolled. As long as there is a route around it that is a reasonable option,t hen go for it. However, if there isn't, then no, don't toll it. One more caviat to this, Commercial trucks cannot bypass it unless it is the shortest route.

I don't hate the 407 for being tolled. I hate how high the tolls are.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Keep dreaming.
Some of them definitely. I would argue the LINC and Red Hill in Hamilton should definitely be provincial. They're the main route between Niagara and Southwestern Ontario and connect directly between Highway 403 and the QEW.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:16 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ugh how could I forget those two... I definitely agree. At one point, the City of Hamilton did complain that too many trucks were using them to go between QEW and 403. In all fantasy, they can be uploaded, upgraded to have a speed limit of 100 km/h and signed Highway 8 (which, well, will require Hamilton City Road 52 to be uploaded too, and, in which case MTO can also download Highway 5 to the City of Hamilton).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.wellandtribune.ca/ts/new...ard-dream.html
Actually, is there enough space to do something similar to A40 through West Island? This way, we can have both the tolled freeway and the proposed urban boulevard. In fact, we can even have that urban boulevard all the way up to the new 410 so that people using 410 to go on the 10 don't have to pay tolls and that we can demolish the part of 410 between Mayfield Road and Hurontario Street. Then we will just sign the portion of the urban boulevard between Hurontario Street and the new 410 as 10 and download the rest to the Village of Caledon.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:37 PM

The fastest way from most of Michigan to the east coast is actually through Canada and on the Red Hill/Linc.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Lol, Hamilton’s so not going to like that~

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:18 PM
User Registered

As a Londoner, I use the Linc/Red Hill to get to Niagara and the USA

Linc is a pretty lackluster, suburban drive but the Red Hill is fun, especially going downhill.

-----

Drone footage of the 427 extension

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV0ik_8FufU

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:54 PM

I much preferred the Red Hill before they reduced the speed limit to 80km/h. That was a decision that I definitely don't support.

The Red Hill has a 110km/h design speed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:27 PM

Its ridiculous. Hamilton Police strictly enforce it too so drivers follow it very closely as well. It's hard to do much more than 90km/h on that stretch.

Red Hills ramp connections to the QEW are also a huge bottleneck for no real discernable reason. For some reason they built the double lane connections towards Niagara even though I'm fairly certain the Toronto bound connections have higher volumes. Those connections need to be double laned. I don't think it would be too difficult, I don't think there would be any structural work required. Perhaps a small land take from the cold storage facility on Van Wagners Beach Rd.

Hamilton is about to initiate an Environmental Assessment to widen the two highways to 6 lanes, perhaps it will be addressed as part of that.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

No wonder I had so much trouble going 96 kph there...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 7:16 PM

Wait, what? I didn't even know they were extending the 427. Several times I took the 427 and got off where it takes you to Zenway, which I read is now closed off, and I'd go east from there to 27 and I'd sometimes stop at that Hortons. While there I'd have a look at the picture of my cousin's very fine ex-gf on the women's gym. And I like driving on newer industrial roads during off peak times. I will miss that road.

Good to know there will be a new highway section to drive on and keep my interest the first few times. I still haven't been on the 412 though. Not even when it was briefly free. I do remember driving on 7 once and seeing the construction for it. Also wasn't aware of its construction until I got there. I don't follow road infrastructure news.

I don't know if any of you are like me, but on the very odd occasion where I take a highway exit I hadn't taken before, I say to myself, hmmm... I think this is the first time I've ever taken this exit while going eastbound, for instance. Same with major roads.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Its ridiculous. Hamilton Police strictly enforce it too so drivers follow it very closely as well. It's hard to do much more than 90km/h on that stretch.

Red Hills ramp connections to the QEW are also a huge bottleneck for no real discernable reason. For some reason they built the double lane connections towards Niagara even though I'm fairly certain the Toronto bound connections have higher volumes. Those connections need to be double laned. I don't think it would be too difficult, I don't think there would be any structural work required. Perhaps a small land take from the cold storage facility on Van Wagners Beach Rd.

Hamilton is about to initiate an Environmental Assessment to widen the two highways to 6 lanes, perhaps it will be addressed as part of that.
The city is erring on the side of caution re: Red Hill Valley Parkway speed limits, given the slippery-pavement-testing fiasco and the crashes that have been blamed on it (for which the city may have to pay damages; I believe there are lawsuits in play but I'm not sure of their status). Personally I've never thought there was an issue -- when it's wet, drive more carefully.

As with the Linc/403 interchange, which took several years post-Linc-opening to rebuild from the original cloverleaf that was designed for Mohawk Rd., the RHVP/QEW ramps are the province's responsibility. I agree the Toronto-bound ramp should be two lanes all the way to the merge.

With the Centennial Parkway and RHVP and Tesla/Burlington St. interchanges so close to each other this stretch begs for a couple of collector lanes. But it's tight, especially with the wetlands and creek right there, plus VersaCold and the water treatment facilities and other stuff.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 6, 2020 at 9:02 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario