HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:16 AM

What do you like about your local news?

And do the news anchors have a big shot of the skyline in the background?

You don't just have to talk about your current city but also places you've lived.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:53 AM
E pluribus unum

Well, uh, I remember when Jerry Springer was the anchor at WLWT in Cincinnati back in the late 1980s and early 1990s before he hit it big with his talk show. He was already a well-known entity around Cincinnati, having been mayor at one point in the 1970s and for trying to pay a hooker with a check that bounced. I think my parents watched him even though my mom thought he was a creep, but my dad was pretty well entrenched in the Cincinnati media back then, having worked at WKRC, WCKY and WLW radio before we moved to Arizona.

I don't watch much local news where I live now because a) Even though Flagstaff is part of the Phoenix media market, it's two hours away and they hardly ever cover anything in Northern Arizona besides snow storms and forest fires and b) I prefer reading newspapers (online...) to watching the news. I find a couple of the stations (particularly the Phoenix NBC affiliate) obnoxious because they're always trying to find an Arizona connection to major national news stories no matter how trivial or minuscule is the connection.

Most of the TV stations in Phoenix use either the skyline or mountains as a backdrop during news broadcasts. Regardless whether the backdrop is of the skyline or mountains, there's almost always a ubiquitous Saguaro somewhere in the photo.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:51 AM
Never Dell

I don't think local news is for people who read.

Seriously, that's not their demographic. Why else would they spend so much time on accidents, kittens, and weather? Sports too...I love watching sports but it's not "news."

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:13 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Seriously, that's not their demographic. Why else would they spend so much time on accidents, kittens, and weather? Sports too...I love watching sports but it's not "news."
but...kittens!

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 3:44 PM
America's Hometown

In Philadelphia, Action News on 6ABC has been the dominant new program since the early 1970's. It is what I watch and most people who turn on their TV generally check Channel 6 first....

Jim Gardner is the lead anchor and he's been in that spot since 1977. Yes, 1977. He's still the best in town. Action News historically had very low turnover...the same reporters were on for years. Now they finally have a whole batch of young reporters as the last of the old guard has retired.

The lead anchor on Eyewitness News of CBS3 is Ukee Washington. He's been around since the 80's on that program but not always as lead anchor.

Philadelphia likes familiar faces on their local news...

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:08 PM
E pluribus unum

I love the Philly Action News spoof openings. So ridiculous.

Last edited by Buckeye Native 001; May 12, 2020 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 9:05 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Because good print news is half dead and paywalled while local TV is free and still closer to actual journalism than other free online news sources.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Because good print news is half dead and paywalled while local TV is free and still closer to actual journalism than other free online news sources.
Sad but true. Here in Austin the local TV news is almost the only way to get a daily dose of local updates. We still have a daily paper (Austin Statesman) that shrinks little by little every few months, and they keep their online coverage behind a pricey little firewall (breach-able, but not with ad block on your device). There is the online Texas Tribune which is quite good, but the coverage is more statewide than local. Even the free weekly Austin Chronicle is a pale shadow of its former self, and with SXSW facing bankruptcy, I envision the Chronicle shrinking even more. SXSW was the creation of Chronicle ownership back in the day. I don't know how much, if any, current overlap might exist.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:56 PM
Never Dell

True that print media has diminished quite a bit, and firewalls are a PITA at best. I'm lucky to have company accounts for several publications, particularly anything construction or business related. Also our local papers let you at least see headlines with an ad-blocker and no subscriptions.

There might be no winners in that fight...the newspaper business model is gone and not coming back. I'm guilty too.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:15 AM
E pluribus unum

It worries the hell out of me. Beat reporters are the last lines of defense in holding local politicians and business leaders accountable and they're getting fired left and right because newspapers were way too slow to adapt to changes brought forth by the internet.

Gannett fucked over two of my hometown papers (The Cincinnati Enquirer and The Arizona Republic).

Almost wish there were options for local reporting akin to what's developed at The Athletic. Hell, they've poached a shit ton of local talent from both of the aforementioned newspapers and I gladly pay $7.99 a month for a subscription.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:54 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

At some point maybe there will be a Netflix for news. Where you pay per month and get a decent assortment. It would be awkward because of historic norms about newspaper ownership and what happens when they are all owned by one entity, plus they are supposed to be local after all. I think for it to work the platform would need to be a neutral third party business. Apple could totally make it work, they have the cash.

Local TV is not that bad.

In Houston I think my ranking would be 2(kprc, an nbc affiliate), 13(ktrk, an abc affiliate), 26(a fox affiliate), and then 11(khou, a cbs affiliate). In actuality all of them are almost equal.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:49 AM
Aimless Wanderer

My favourite local news station in Toronto is the CBC Toronto News on CBLT channel 5. It's an all around class act much like the CBC National Network Newscast.

I used to prefer CITY CityPulse news on CityTV channel 57, but they got bought out and became too corporate and lost that cool, edgy thing they used to have going on. Now their newscast is pretty standard fare and they go by CityNews.

CFTO Toronto News on CTV channel 9 is the best one for big skyline backgrounds and cool helicopter shots flying over the downtown.

CIII Global News Toronto on channel 41 is solid, but I rarely tune in these days.

CP24 is Toronto's around the clock cable news station, and it's the trashiest, most headline baiting, "BREAKING NEWS!!", freakshow of a station with reporters shoving microphones in people's faces and shouting stupid questions at them, and always trying to get a scoop over the competition (though they're owned by CTV).

CHCH channel 11 is a Hamilton independent station that can be seen over the air in Toronto and has local Hamilton news but also covers some newsworthy things happening in Toronto.

CJMT channel 40 and CFMT channel 47 are two multilingual stations with local newscasts in Cantonese, Mandarin and Italian under the moniker of Omni News.

I was just wondering lately about what fair sized cities don't have any local news stations because they're too close to another bigger city and are part of their media market?

Hamilton doesn't have any local news on any of the Canadian national networks since it's part of the Toronto media market, so their local independent station fills that void.

I'm guessing there must be quite a few sizeable American cities without any locally based newscasts whatsoever?

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:03 AM

The genuine Boston accents. They're never over the top; they're just the right amount. It's an unwritten rule that at least one local affiliate co-anchor needs to be born-and-bred.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quite literally the only times I have ever watched the local news where I live now are those moments when I am appearing on TV for an interview (cringe-worthy to be sure). I've done a bunch on local and national TV. I hate seeing myself on TV, so I have almost stopped TV/radio...still do a lot of print stuff.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:22 PM

Cheryl Scott, the ABC Chicago weather woman.

Chicago print news media sucks, which is a shame because the Tribune and Sun-Times used to be nationally recognized. Now they are shells of their former selves; the Sun-Times went bankrupt and is slowly building itself back up as a tabloid-style paper and the Tribune feels too dated to be taken seriously and is currently being gutted by some horrible hedge fund--although I think they were pretty gutted (no national/international bureaus, shrunken staff of cultural writers, discount sports reporters, etc) already from their hey-day as a prominent newspaper.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 5:19 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I love WLOS News 13. It's always been the not-quite-ready-for-primetime new station and always will be. You can always tune into WLOS and know you'll get the same typos, awkward silences, malfunctioning microphones, pretty young things for whom this is obviously their starter job, and inaccurate weather forecasts, plus crap like this:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 8:45 PM

I really dislike CP24.

TODAY ON CP24 WE ARE GOING TO TELL YOU THE WEATHER THE STOCKS THE TRAFFIC AND THE WEATHER ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!! DO YOU HAVE A HEADACHE YET?

I like CBC but that's not local.

Last edited by stevanford1; May 13, 2020 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I love WLOS News 13. It's always been the not-quite-ready-for-primetime new station and always will be. You can always tune into WLOS and know you'll get the same typos, awkward silences, malfunctioning microphones, pretty young things for whom this is obviously their starter job, and inaccurate weather forecasts, plus crap like this:

e]
LOL

Reminds me of Utica news (WKTV and WUTR), kids fresh out of college started their careers there and it showed. Gaffes, awkward moments and mismatched video segments. We would also watched David Muir (ABC news guy) on WTVH in Syracuse when he first started fumbling along.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quite literally the only times I have ever watched the local news where I live now are those moments when I am appearing on TV for an interview (cringe-worthy to be sure). I've done a bunch on local and national TV. I hate seeing myself on TV, so I have almost stopped TV/radio...still do a lot of print stuff.
I used to hate what my voice and accent sounded like on TV/radio and radio, but now I've made peace with it.

It probably helps that I've recently noticed that the local Radio-Canada morning man has pretty much the same voice and accent as me, and he's the top-rated AM drive program in this market.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Toni Yates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions