HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 8:56 PM

In Southern Ontario the St Clair Parkway is a scenic drive south of Sarnia to Port Lambton. In spots right beside the St Clair river with good views of our Michigan neighbors.

Highway 3 between Point Pelee and Rondeau has some nice views of Lake Erie.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 9:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
In Southern Ontario the St Clair Parkway is a scenic drive south of Sarnia to Port Lambton. In spots right beside the St Clair river with good views of our Michigan neighbors.

Highway 3 between Point Pelee and Rondeau has some nice views of Lake Erie.
Thanks for the reminder.
My friend and I went down 3 to Point Peele because 401 was closed, and we were stunned by the blue-green water and turbines.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:23 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I drove around Lake Superior back in 2015 (I think). I've driven the Ontario side between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie a number of times, but this was the first time I'd done the US side. I wasn't all that impressed with Highway 61 on the US side. I really liked Duluth, but Minnesota Highway 61 has none of the drama that Highway 17 does.
There are some good lake views along MN-61, I especially enjoy the segments where you can look out and not see land on the other side of the water, since in Thunder Bay, the shoreline is covered with peninsulas and islands so there is always land in the distance, even if its just Isle Royale. It's unique to just see water and nothing else on the horizon.

Apostle Islands in Wisconsin are spectacular but that's not on the main road, so if you don't think to go there, you'll miss it on the circle tour.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
I drive along Lake Superior every single day and I never grow tired of the sights. The stark, uncompromising beauty of it, the ever changing lake, the sheer immensity of it... There really is nothing else quite like it.

When you finally get to make the trip make sure you take extra time/days to explore some of the places off the beaten path like Sleeping Giant Provincial Park & Silver Islet; Ghost Towns like Jackfish; the Red Rock Marina; Middle Falls on the Pigeon River, Split Rock Lighthouse along Minnesota's North Shore; the Lake Superior Aquarium in Duluth... so many places to see and experience to let the lake tell it's story.
As someone who also lives in Northern Ontario, I have to agree. I'd pick Lake Superior as being the most scenic part of the province. I highly doubt that there is any other freshwater lake in the world with similar scenery.

I could make a huge list of parts of Northern Ontario that are very scenic but I'll just list some:

Temagami and Marten River area (including nearby remote areas)

Lake Nipissing

Killarney Provincial Park and La Cloche mountains (also surrounding parts of Georgian Bay)

Lake Nipigon

Lake of the Woods

Lake Temiskaming

Moose River

Last edited by Loco101; Mar 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 12:21 PM

Yes.

Ontario's geography much like everything else about Ontario. No unique identity. Our flag, our licence plate, our culture, our geography, etc.

First things that come to mind for other provinces and mostly define them. Though they have other unique characteristics:

BC - Ocean and mountains
AB - Mountains
SK and MB - Prairies
QC - Trees and lakes (closest thing to ON)
East - Ocean
Territories - Snow and tundra

Many of these places even represent their geography on their licence plates either directly or indirectly like images of boats or provincial flowers. Ontario's image is a crown.

When outsiders or even Ontarians think geography they think big lakes, trees and Niagara Falls. They don't think mountains (albeit small ones), ocean (far away and useless, but accessible by train), badlands (small patch in Caledon), highlands and the Escarpment, beaches (world's longest freshwater beach for example), tones of canals and waterways, thousands of islands, and so on.

ON has arguably the most diverse geography of any province and so people don't focus on any one thing that defines the province. ON has the biggest lakes but it's not the ocean. It has elevation but it's not the Rockies. It has beaches but it's not the Maritimes or BC. It has a small badlands but it's not Alberta's badlands. It has an ocean coast but it's not easy to get to like in neighbouring QC. And you can't go whale watching in James Bay.

However, given the diversity of the geography and wonders of our lakes, rivers and waterfalls, ON is a gem, but most people don't realize that.

How many people even realize Hamilton is at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment and is the "waterfall capital of the world"? The title might be generous but it makes a point. There's a bunch of waterfalls around Hamilton and area and really the only waterfall people know is not in Hamilton.

A few years ago, my cousin who splits his time between Markham and Mississauga met me at home in Burlington to go fishing with me in Milton/Hamilton at Mountsberg. We were driving up Appleby and looking in the near distance he said "what is that?". He didn't know what the Escarpment was. Then we actually drove up through the Appleby hairpin and it was totally foreign to him even though he used to go on motorcycle rides with other biker bros. But that was more Rouge Valley in Scarboro/Pickering.

Most people appreciate the spectacular beauty of Muskoka and Algonquin but most people don't realize how similarly beautiful or more so it is around Superior or say Tobermory (which most people don't realize exists even though it's only 3 to 3.5 hours from the GTA).

Another thing that is underrated is how accessible and close these geographic features are. Hundreds of thousands or millions either live or are comfortable driving distance to basically everywhere I mentioned except James Bay, which doesn't really have a compelling reason to go to except to say I visited Ontario's ocean coast.

In the big cities alone there's an incredible range of geography that is underappreciated. Residents think they have to drive out to the country to get their fill of nature but technically they can stay within city boundaries and get the same thing. Only thing is, there will be more people.

I'll take my biggest hobby for instance, which is fishing. I know lots of people who drive 1.5 to 3 hours each way on weekends to go chase fish. While it does feel better to do it in more scenic spots, it is a tremendous strain on your body and wallet with absolutely no guarantee of even catching a fish let alone having a successful day.

You can catch impressively sized fish from a wide variety of species right in the GTHA in the big lake or wide rivers or narrow creeks or reservoirs or storm ponds or the tiniest ponds on public golf courses in the middle of subdivisions. My friends and I have caught some big ass bass, pike, carp, salmon and bowfin among other species right downtown from Queens Quay or TO Islands.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:05 AM

I've been in James Bay in a boat. And you can go whale watching! In fact, I saw belugas in the Moose River near Moosonee. But small low-flying airplanes will often see a pods of belugas when flying over James Bay. I've flown over James Bay in a bushplane but didn't see them but the view of the water and coast was incredible from up above.

Back to the Moose River, the belugas whales will often go up and down the river to about where Moosonee is with the tides.

The scenery of the last part of the Moose River, the final 25kms before it goes into James Bay is really nice. Some huge sandbar islands that you can spend the day at in Summer and go swimming. Also many large islands including Moose Factory Island that many people live on or Charles Island which has Tidewater Provincial Park. Some of the islands you see in the distance look like they are sinking, an optical illusion I'm told when the tides go in and out.

I've always wanted to visit Hudson Bay and places such as Peawanuck or Fort Severn. I know a few people who have been to those places but they are very expensive to get to. The people I know went up because they either work in health care or did a project in Polar Bear Provincial Park.

I have to add that Ontario does have large lakes, it has a huge number of smaller lakes. I don't know of many other places where so many lakes exist other than Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:03 PM

I stand corrected. I guess you can see whales but not like a popular activity.

I actually considered going to Moosonee three years ago. Was going to drive up to Cochrane, stay the night, get the train and stay up there for one night and come back. I'm a fisherman but I heard it's not really a fishing destination. Only reason I was going was so my friend and I could say we did it.

I've read that the rivers to or from James Bay in QC have monster pike in them. I haven't read the same thing about the Moose River. Not sure about the other couple of ON rivers NW of there.

I don't know anyone who has gone up there but my boss said his retired friend did it just because. Though he went on a pop up trailer trip all over the northern half of the province.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 AM

Being as "objective" as possible, I'd say that Ontario is below average when it comes to geographical interest among all the places I've been to in my life, but definitely not at the bottom.

Southern Ontario is more geographically dull than Northern Ontario, but even the flattest, most agriculturally dull parts are close to a Great Lake, which counts for something, since there are few places on earth where you will find a freshwater body that you could confuse for the sea.

However, the lack of landscape and topographical variation over large distances kind of sucks. It still boggles my mind that 693 m above sea level is the tallest point in a land mass of over a million square kilometers.

I'd like to see more of Northern Ontario, but the most interesting parts are very far away. It would take about the same amount of effort/time/money for me to get to Thunder Bay and do exploring around there as it would for me to go to the canyons of southern Utah, which is a place I really want to explore.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I stand corrected. I guess you can see whales but not like a popular activity.

I actually considered going to Moosonee three years ago. Was going to drive up to Cochrane, stay the night, get the train and stay up there for one night and come back. I'm a fisherman but I heard it's not really a fishing destination. Only reason I was going was so my friend and I could say we did it.

I've read that the rivers to or from James Bay in QC have monster pike in them. I haven't read the same thing about the Moose River. Not sure about the other couple of ON rivers NW of there.

I don't know anyone who has gone up there but my boss said his retired friend did it just because. Though he went on a pop up trailer trip all over the northern half of the province.
You can fish in the Moosonee area but it's not one of the best places to do it. The Moose River is so wide and it's hard to find good fishing spots. I mean it's worth fishing if you're there but it's not somewhere where you often catch a lot. Some of the lakes to the South such as Kesagami Lake have excellent fishing and are remote.

I've been up the Quebec side of James Bay and prefer it for scenery. The Ontario side is very swampy and flat but the Quebec side is quite rocky with some small hills. The fishing is excellent in the rivers but you have to know the rules of where you are going in each zone they have as much of the land is First Nations territory.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Being as "objective" as possible, I'd say that Ontario is below average when it comes to geographical interest among all the places I've been to in my life, but definitely not at the bottom.

Southern Ontario is more geographically dull than Northern Ontario, but even the flattest, most agriculturally dull parts are close to a Great Lake, which counts for something, since there are few places on earth where you will find a freshwater body that you could confuse for the sea.

However, the lack of landscape and topographical variation over large distances kind of sucks. It still boggles my mind that 693 m above sea level is the tallest point in a land mass of over a million square kilometers.

I'd like to see more of Northern Ontario, but the most interesting parts are very far away. It would take about the same amount of effort/time/money for me to get to Thunder Bay and do exploring around there as it would for me to go to the canyons of southern Utah, which is a place I really want to explore.
I highly recommend going along Lake Superior. Lake Superior Provincial Park between the Sault and Wawa has a lot of different scenic places to see. I've also been to Pukaskwa National Park near Marathon which is quite remote and rugged. The shoreline varies a lot between being rocky outcrops and beautiful beaches that are different from one another. But pretty much everywhere on Superior within Northern Ontario is worth seeing.

I agree that Ontario isn't the most exciting place when it comes to geographical variety but it's definitely not the most boring. Another place I like to drive is on Hwy 129 North of Thessalon along the Mississagi River in the Mississagi valley. It's not very far from Hwy 17 but undeveloped and worth seeing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:52 PM

Within Southern Ontario, it is arguably more interesting east of Toronto than west of it. The Canadian Shield juts down into the south between Ottawa & Toronto, almost touching Kingston; as a result there's hills and lakes and all kinds of pretty geography in that part of the south. Around Ottawa is also much less continous agriculture than in the southwest; only the river valleys are farmed, generally. Lots of forests and wetlands around.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Within Southern Ontario, it is arguably more interesting east of Toronto than west of it. The Canadian Shield juts down into the south between Ottawa & Toronto, almost touching Kingston; as a result there's hills and lakes and all kinds of pretty geography in that part of the south. Around Ottawa is also much less continous agriculture than in the southwest; only the river valleys are farmed, generally. Lots of forests and wetlands around.
That’s why going between GTA and Ottawa via Highway 7, especially through places like Kaladar and Sharbot Lake, is much more adventurous than via 401.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:09 AM

Far drives to the north is what has stopped me from visiting. It's far but manageable. I always combine sports with scenery so I've never been past Sudbury. Even though I'm a fisherman and could combine that activity with a northern trip, that would cost a fortune just for the fishing alone while I can do that locally or at the cottage for almost free comparatively even though the size or numbers may not match the more remote places. But one day I can see doing it.

While I did do CO, UT, AZ and NM over three weeks and combined that with five games. That trip cost the two of us $6,500 all in. If you ventured a few hours in any direction where those four states meet at the "Four Corners", you will see wildly varying geography. So compared to that, ON can't compete. But at the same time, ON is still underrated because what it does have is not even close to be being fully appreciated.

And while the North is far away for us southerners, there are still 780k people living up north according to a wikipedia article I quickly looked up. That's a hell of a lot of people in Canadian terms living among the wonderful scenery of a northern half of a province.

In Central ON, more specifically cottage country, I think people here don't fully appreciate how nice it is. It feels like it's taken for granted. That many hundreds of fresh, clean and pure lakes and rivers, bedrock and varying flora within 1.5 to 2 hours drive or shorter from GHTA and Ottawa should not be overlooked.

There are tonnes of Americans that make the trip there, even from places with their own cottage/cabin country like NY and MI. I see plenty of US plates while heading up the cottage. And the resorts in Muskoka attract a fair number of international visitors. Obviously not Whistler or Banff levels, but more than you'd expect. I mean, there's a reason people like Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn, Kate Hudson, Cindy Crawford, Spielberg and Hanks own cottages in Muskoka even though there many resort type places much closer to LA and NY.

Cottage/vacation spots close to say NY, PHI, BOS, CHI, DC, DET, DAL, HOU, MIA, ATL, LA, etc. are indeed beautiful and offer a nice variety of scenery or landscapes, they just don't feel fresh and pure.

Many of those spots are humid or barren or salty or hazy or their lakes are man made reservoirs consisting of turbid water. Most lakes in the US outside the Rockies are turbid. I've fished many lakes close to Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, Philly, Buffalo, Orlando and Miami. Sure, a fair bit of water and trees and all that, but every single one of those lakes was about two feet clarity or less. While most lakes in Canada are clear water.

In the GTA alone I can name a few lakes and reservoirs that are clear water and you can see the bottom no problem, even those that are 20 feet deep. Up north there are obviously thousands more.

Last edited by megadude; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That’s why going between GTA and Ottawa via Highway 7, especially through places like Kaladar and Sharbot Lake, is much more adventurous than via 401.
I have not been east of Buckhorn, Kawarthas on Hwy 7. I always say to myself that if I drive to Ottawa again it will definitely not be on the 401.

I also want to drive Hwy 2 eastbound as far as it goes just for the hell of it. Not as scenic but close to the water in many spots and some towns I want to visit. I haven't done that past Clarington.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:28 PM

All perspective.

I just moved back from California. Ontario is now looking overrated to me. My wife keeps saying how puny our trees look now that we're back home. Now admittedly the bar is a little higher for us because we lived about a half hour away from Big Sur and along the Central Coast. But even still, in all my time in the military, traveling around Canada, I've never hungered to get home for the scenery. The exception being for when I posted to the prairies.

Oh there's a few hills, valleys, rivers, etc. But they really aren't all that spectacular and more importantly they are a days drive away. Near the GTA, with the exception of Niagara Falls and the Gorge, there really is nothing that absolutely stands out, that I would insist on showing visitors.

And accessibility is a huge issue. We've not built proper expressways or rail service to Northern Ontario. If you're in the GTA, Lake Superior is at least an 8 hr drive. Tobermory is a 4 hr drive. Other spots on Lake Huron are 5-6 hrs at least. And they don't warm up until much later in Spring. All reasons why people tend to stick to sights in Southern Ontario or travel to the US.

Lastly, I think trying to press the point of scenic views using aerial photography is a futile exercise. Most of us don't have private aircraft to get up there and see it ourselves. What makes places scenic is what they can see from the ground or specific vantage points.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 11:16 AM

California is one of the most geographically diverse places on the planet. Almost everywhere looks tame in comparison.

As for the GTA the Scarborough Bluffs are extremely unique. I think any visitor, even from California, would be impressed.

Scarborough Bluffs
by Philip Dunn, on Flickr

Is that Pacific Coast Highway? Jk
Scarborough Bluffs Of Toronto
by Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr

Fall colour gets as good in this part of the world than anywhere. How many cities can replicate a scene like this?

Don Valley Brickworks
by mooncall2012, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 11:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wow that’s quite something, in Toronto too.

Did you add filter to the first photo?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

Fall colours here are amazing. The Kimberley Valley in midwestern Ontario is a spectacular place to visit in early October.

The western portion of Algonquin Park is pretty great too.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 12:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Fall’s amazing indeed. The first time I drove on Highway 7 from Ottawa back to GTA, the yellow colour on both sides of the highway made the drive somewhat pleasant.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 5:42 PM

- In SoCal you can go from the ocean and beaches over the San Gabriel mountains to the desert in a couple of hours.

- Or you can go from the high plains outside Denver, cross the Rockies and the Colorado Plateau and end up in the alien landscape of Moab, UT with all those canyons and arches in 5.5 hours.

- You can start at the Grand Canyon in AZ and go down through the ski resort of Flagstaff, the red rocks of Sedona to the low lying desert of Phoenix in 4.5 hours.

From this perspective, ON can’t offer that. But my take is that ON’s geography is underrated because in general, people don’t have a rating for it. They are unaware of what there really is. Therefore, it is underrated.

In the GTA, if you mention Scarboro Bluffs to a bunch of west enders, they will look at you blankly. If you mention the Niagara Escarpment to east enders and even west enders, they will look at you blankly.

I have covered virtually every point of interest within a two hour drive and much of what there is to see within a five hour drive. I would then post pics on Facebook and people would ask “where is that?”. And this is from people who live half hour away from some of these spots. It got to the point where I would purposely mislabel the title of the album to suggest I visited another state or province and no one was any wiser. Well maybe like one person would figure it out and leave a comment exposing my deceit.

I took some pics of the Badlands in Caledon and labelled it Arizona and people were like “dude, when the hell did you go to Arizona?” And this is people in Brampton. I grew up in Brampton, 20 minutes away from this spot. When I posted a Tobermory album, I used some vague title and people were asking if it was New Brunswick or out west. I posted a few pics of a couple of the more interesting Hamilton waterfalls like Devil’s Punchbowl and Spencer’s Gorge and someone guessed I was in New Zealand.

When I made that “Rally of Hamilton” video, which I also posted somewhere on this forum, a couple of people were confused by the title because the video mostly consisted of up, down, left and right driving through twisty roads both in the country and right in the heart of the city. When TO people think Hamilton, they think refineries and smoke stacks. Basically what they see when they drive over the Skyway. Well not all people, but you get the point.

Then there’s the wilderness of up north. Now, everyone knows it’s nice, but for most people who don’t live, camp or cottage up there, they don’t really know just how unique the landscape is. Something I find very unique, that you will only find in very few places, is the Trent Severn Waterway. You can travel from Trenton out to Georgian Bay via rivers, lakes, canals and locks. From GB you can then travel a couple of great lakes and take the Illinois River to the Mississippi down to the Gulf and through FLA and up along the Intercoastal to NYC and up the Hudson and through to Montreal and back to Trenton. This is known as the Great Loop. I believe you can also go from Ottawa to Trenton through the Rideau and whatever else there is. Not too familiar with that route.

Map: Steven Fick/Canadian Geographic

https://www.discovermuskoka.ca/thing.../boat-cruises/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario