HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:26 PM
Meh

Somebody pinch me!

The article mentions that they might be considering pushing the height to the mid-70s range on the number of floors. It's 62 floors now. Let's just say that they add 13 floors for a total of 75 floors. Let's say they split that number 7 for residential and 6 for office. Going by the elevation that we've already seen, the residential floors right now are each 11 feet slab to slab. The office floors alternate between 14 feet and 15 feet slab to slab for each floor.

So with 7 new residential floors that would be 77 more feet added.

For the 6 additional office floors, while alternating between 14 and 15 feet, that would add 87 feet to the tower's height.

Those two together is 164 feet.

The article also says the height is 850 feet tall, which is odd because we've worked out on the forum that it'll be 873 feet when measuring the highest part of the crown and the lowest elevation along 6th Street. If it is indeed 850 feet, that would make it 1,014 feet tall with the 13 additional floors. That would already make it the new tallest building in Texas. If is 873 feet at the 62-story height, that would push it to 1,037 feet with the new floors.

That is amazing.

As I mentioned earlier, even at the 873 foot height, we could expect to pass Oklahoma City, Denver, Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Mobile, Miami, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Jersey City with this one, and Charlotte if it indeed is 872 feet 3/4 inches tall. Now, Jersey City is working on one that is 899 feet. It's actually under construction now. And Miami has about 8 buildings over 1,000 feet in development, though, they haven't started yet.

With the possibility of 608 Guadalupe being 1,037 feet tall, we could end up easily passing Jersey City, and then Miami would have only three proposals that would be taller than this one.

This would also mean that since we'd go from 873 feet to 1,037 feet with the increased height that we'd be passing Houston, Dallas, Seattle, and Cleveland in addition to the ones I listed above.

We would also have a higher roof than Los Angeles, Atlanta and possibly Philadelphia, depending on how tall the spire is on the Comcast Innovation & Technology Center is.

So in that case, architecturally, only New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Atlanta would have taller buildings than Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:45 PM

This one shows the circa 1854 house in the corner of the site:

http://www.statesman.com/business/ex...eQEQlDJO5S6mM/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:47 PM
Member since 2001

Awesome. Thanks. Would you have time to post the east façade image. The one taken of the NE corner. I believe it is the first one on the ABJ slideshow.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:08 PM
Meh

Here are some larger sized renderings from the Austin Business Journal article:

Southwest

Gensler

Southwest

Gensler

East

Gensler

Northeast

Gensler

South

Gensler

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:08 PM

Beat to the punch.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:28 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

If this is considered a 5 sided building as pictured in the rendering, ends up being in the 70+ story range, making it well over 1,002 ft., and has 5 sides, it will definitely be taller than the JP Morgan tower in Houston.

Currently, the JP Morgan tower is the tallest 5 sided building in the world, just saying!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:34 PM
Meh

It looks to me like the design in these most recent renderings is different from what we saw in the building elevation because the building elevation clearly showed two equal setbacks on the north and south sides of the tower that created the illusion of "shoulders". These seem to show setbacks in the same general place, but they don't appear to be of equal height.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:47 PM

Here are the rest:

edit: Also beaten to the punch

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:54 PM
クラブトクヨ

Please build this! I love it!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:17 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Whoa!!

And the best part is that it's now an official project. Confirmed by media with a real timetable to work with.

I wanna see them add 10-15 more floors! Texas needs a new supertall, Austin will be the new Sheriff in town!!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:30 AM

That will also be the biggest pedestal in town...one square block. That alone will no doubt take months to build. I think this building was always meant to be 72 floors.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:48 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

What I find interesting is that they plan to open up the office portion while the upper half is still under construction! I guess it's been done with other buildings but definetly a first for Austin.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:51 AM

This definitely makes up for the Block 185 disappointment. But I wonder how it will affect Lincoln's plans for the 308 Guadalupe/Travis Co. block project? This project seems to be moving forward as quickly as possible while the recent announcement about the Travis Co. block project read as if there were no imminent plans.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:08 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This definitely makes up for the Block 185 disappointment. But I wonder how it will affect Lincoln's plans for the 308 Guadalupe/Travis Co. block project? This project seems to be moving forward as quickly as possible while the recent announcement about the Travis Co. block project read as if there were no imminent plans.
If that's the Catch 22 situation where this tower moving forward may put the Travis Co. block on hold, then it's not a bad Catch 22.

Because both towers haven't been built yet, we can only ask ourselves one question:

If it came down to where we could only have one of them, which would you choose?

I would choose this one over the Travis Co. block tower. Taller, moving forward, more distinct design for the Austin skyline, etc.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
If that's the Catch 22 situation where this tower moving forward may put the Travis Co. block on hold, then it's not a bad Catch 22.

Because both towers haven't been built yet, we can only ask ourselves one question:

If it came down to where we could only have one of them, which would you choose?

I would choose this one over the Travis Co. block tower. Taller, moving forward, more distinct design for the Austin skyline, etc.
If it came down to an one or the other situation, I would also take this one over an unknown 308 Guadalupe tower. But we don't know what the Travis Co. block tower will look like. I don't think the current renderings we have for that project is the Lincoln/Phoenix project.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:04 AM

Mid-70 range means 72 floors could be in play, which makes me think this is the one The Genral heard buzz about. I love the renderings... looks glitzy and clean. Reminds me a bit of the Comcast Center in Philly, which is exactly the type of signature tower I envisioned in Austin. There's potential to light that glass-encased crown as well. But more than anything, I love how Austin itself informs this building in both the CVC and in the old house remaining on the corner. That juxtaposition is going to look very cool. Full speed ahead tells me this one is as much of a go as anything else currently on the slate. Immensely excited for this one. If it is indeed over 1,000 ft, then Austin will officially be in businesss!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:53 AM

I know they don't look completely the same, but this building reminds me of Abeno Harukas in Osaka, Japan.

Abeno Harukas, Osaka, Japan

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Mid-70 range means 72 floors could be in play, which makes me think this is the one The Genral heard buzz about.
He broke the news that Austin was getting a 72 story tower. And here we are, a few months later, looking at a realistic chance of getting one. I'm hoping his tip on a Virgin Hotel is accurate too. It's time for another chat with him.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:31 AM

Who is financing this one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin