HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 11:33 PM

This just showed up on the CH:

Quote:
New business planned at former Irish pub
May 27, 2013 - 7:26pm REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

The now closed Pogue Fado bar on Barrington Street. (ERIC WYNNE/Staff)

An announcement on the future of the former Pogue Fado site appears to be imminent and could happen as soon as this week.

The popular Barrington Street pub closed at the end of April after 10 years of operation.

When it closed, Jeff Webber of AR Webber Properties Ltd., owner of the 130-year-old property at 1581 Barrington St., said he would search for a new tenant for the space.

It appears that search could be coming to an end, although Webber remained tight-lipped Monday on what type of business could occupy that space.

“It’s not in the stages, right now, that I could comment on, but hopefully within the next couple of days I will be able to,” he said when contacted Monday.

Webber had a handshake agreement with the former bar owners that allowed them to pay rent monthly for the last seven years.

The company immediately seized the property once Pogue’s owners pulled the plug, and soon after, several signs adorned the windows, alerting passersby to Stay Tuned! We Hope to be Back, Bigger & Better.

But Richard Stevens, one of the Irish bar’s five owners, said he and his partners had “nothing to do with that sign whatsoever.”

“That sign was put up by the landlord when he papered over the windows,” Stevens said.

He reiterated that while the bar remains remains a turnkey operation for interested parties, complete with refrigerators and its distinctive Irish decor, he isn’t interested in returning to the business.

“I haven’t heard of anything going in there … but I just know that the Pogue and its owners, we’re stepping away from the industry, and there will be no reincarnations of any kind.”

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...rmer-irish-pub

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:20 PM

This has been open for a couple weeks, but here is a picture of EDNA, which is the restaurant opened by the daughter of Janes on the Commons. Corner of Gottingen and Portland.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:23 PM

Edna is doing really, really well so far. I was there last night (Tuesday) and the place was packed, as it appears to be every night. On the weekends there were line ups (they don't take reservations). This bodes well for future restaurants on this stretch.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:01 PM

I've driven by a few times every day of the week at around 11pm and there is always a good crowd in there. I'm really excited to go try it out.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:42 PM

the corner looks great; looks like a place where I ate in ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:44 PM

it's really good stuff, been there a couple times now and Jenna is always there over seeing things and helping with what needs helping with

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:27 PM

2 new Starbucks opened up this month.

Halifax Ferry Terminal

Source

Circumferential Highway and Pleasent Street (Dartmouth Gate)

Source

That makes 17 Starbucks locations in HRM.
I've heard that the 18th Starbucks location is under construction in front of the Guardian Pharmacy on Larry Uteck Blvd.
Once the 3 Targets open in late summer/early fall, that will make 21 Starbucks locations.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:13 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
[B]
I've heard that the 18th Starbucks location is under construction in front of the Guardian Pharmacy on Larry Uteck Blvd.
I've heard that as well, but that building (which is under construction) still has "for lease" signs all around it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I've heard that as well, but that building (which is under construction) still has "for lease" signs all around it.
Well if that's not a Starbucks, I found another Starbucks location opening on Windmill Rd. in Burnside next to the Sleeman brewery.

https://wfa.kronostm.com/index.jsp?L...LYALLJOBS=true

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:55 PM
BUILD!

There is going to be a higher end coffee shop opening in the retail level of that newly finished building on Gladstone St. It should be done in the next couple of months.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:58 PM

Two little updates:
1) I walked past Agricola and Charles and noticed a liquor license notice in the window of the soon-to-open "En Vie" vegan restaurant. It seems they are applying for a lounge license. Also on the notice is the size of the establishment (144 sq f!) and the capacity (12!). Intriguing!

2) I heard through the grape vine that the bar (not sure if it is also a restaurant) slated for the old Captain Sub place on Barrington is aiming for a Labour Day weekend opening. I also heard that Breakhouse is doing some design work for them. Also intriguing!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:11 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Two little updates:
1) I walked past Agricola and Charles and noticed a liquor license notice in the window of the soon-to-open "En Vie" vegan restaurant. It seems they are applying for a lounge license. Also on the notice is the size of the establishment (144 sq f!) and the capacity (12!). Intriguing!

2) I heard through the grape vine that the bar (not sure if it is also a restaurant) slated for the old Captain Sub place on Barrington is aiming for a Labour Day weekend opening. I also heard that Breakhouse is doing some design work for them. Also intriguing!
Just for the record, it can't possibly be 144sqf. Theres no way to even fit 12 people in a space that small. For perspective, it would be about the size of the average household bathroom.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 7:07 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Two little updates:

Both very exciting! I can't wait to see the new bar on Barrington. It'll add a lot to that strip, and Breakhouse always does excellent work.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Just for the record, it can't possibly be 144sqf. Theres no way to even fit 12 people in a space that small. For perspective, it would be about the size of the average household bathroom.
I thought the same thing and did a double take. Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it's halifax's first walk-in closet sized vegan restaurant and lounge :-)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
This is confirmed. It's going to be called Stillwell Beer Bar - https://www.facebook.com/stillwellhfx Apparently it will have a big focus on Craft Beer.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
This is confirmed. It's going to be called Stillwell Beer Bar - https://www.facebook.com/stillwellhfx Apparently it will have a big focus on Craft Beer.
AWESOME. Halifax is lacking good, casual, craft-focused bars. Lotsa old-timey ale houses and the like, but not much of this. And a way better use of a great storefront space in a great building than the take-out sandwich joint.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Awesome!

Thanks for the link!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 8:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a Herald article on Stillwell: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...cal-craft-brew

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 10:03 PM
Urban Thinker

I can't wait to try it!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:25 PM

Narrow Espresso (owned by Steve o Renos) opened beside Darrells on Fenwick

Sakura Sushi Express appears open on South End of Barrington where Laura's was

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment