HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The $2B cost of hosting the games was likely a realistic estimate. I gather this is roughly what Glasgow is spending on the games.

Could Halifax and NS have afforded this given the fiscal realiities existing in our region? Perhaps not.

I think the only way this would have flown is with a realistic initial budget estimate and if the feds had ponied up at least half the cost ($1B).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I'm sure no one cares, but the games start in 18 hours or so. Cue the nostalgia - and bitterness.
Considering how most of these large events are marred locally by frantic construction schedules and missing/unfinished infrastructure when the event actually begins, I doubt we would have turned out any different staging this type of event. It would have been a hell of a tourist boon for the couple of weeks or so but probably would not have generated enough to cover the costs. Never mind what kind of black eye we would get for any infrastructure failures/delays.

Does anyone here really believe that the cost would have stayed at $2B by the time it was all said and done?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment