HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 8:00 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It's the facade of an existing theater.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 10:24 PM

Hollywood is one of the most amazing places to be at night anywhere in the United States. I've been to Vegas, Gas Lamp, New York, Chicago, lived in SF, but there is something, a vibe, that's really amazing about Hollywood. My friend who's from Manhattan came out a few weeks ago and said he's so amazed how much Hollywood has changed (he hadn't been back since 2003). He said it was "distinctly L.A." because it was nothing like New York or anything. It was interesting to hear that from a New Yorker's mouth.

As far as the "lack of parking" goes, I ALWAYS take the subway there, so I don't have to deal with the parking, so my experience is always better than someone who drives there. Bring on the Vine Street Tower!

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

LAofAnahiem, I moved your last post into the downtown thread, since the University Gateway project is largely considered to be downtown, along with USC. I'll also add that project to the front page of that thread when I get a chance.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:58 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

MAY 25, 2008 | The Carlyle, Wilshire Comstock, Wilshire Margot

The Carlyle

From Flickr, by lacurbed

Wilshire Comstock

From Flickr, by lacurbed

Wilshire Margot

From Flickr, by lacurbed

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:03 AM

^^ Wow thats a nice building like the way it corners on the block. These kinda buildings would be nice all over Los Angeles... It gives that low rise Paris look..

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:41 AM

^ The kind of buildings popping up in the wealthy areas of LA are the kind of buildings you see that are "normal" in some other major cities.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:56 AM
Pacific Wonderland

yeah, I agree with LAB on this. One of the more expensive areas of the city and this is what we get? Looks like a rental that could go anywhere in Ontario or Costa Mesa. Architecturally, it doesn't engage the corner at all. The right side of the photo shows some attention to at least giving lip service to the neighboring balconies. The corner is undistinguished at best. Overall, cheap, cheap, cheap.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:09 AM

Im not a fan of those kinds of setback with what is essentially a front lawn for the building, but one that few if any person uses. I think it just seperates the building from the urban environment.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Looks like a rental that could go anywhere in Ontario or Costa Mesa.
Unfortunately what we get here in Costa Mesa is worse than that cheapo unengaging building. That's just sad. That said, I agree with you and LAB. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.
"highrises are tall and shiny and expensive and city-like!!! I'm eternally happy our 4 sq miles of shiny highrises is finally getting more shiny neighbors!! If we can't actually be a real city, at least we can look like one in the postcards!!! LAMG, citywatch, bjornson, if you're listening, post more pictures and comments!" - edluva

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:18 AM

^^ That's because that corridor through Wilshire is NOT an "urban environment" in the SSP sense. It's not really walkable because the distance to anything commercial is dreadfully far. And it's not meant for people to really walk because there is zero realistic transit options. We don't have a culture of riding bikes either. If people in this city rode bikes everywhere, then taking a short little hike to Westwood wouldn't be that big of a deal on a bike. Alas, this city has a pervading complex where people feel inferior or out-of-place when they're not in a car getting from point A to B - whether that be across town or even to the local post office 1 block down.

A good solution to this vexing problem is building a substantial subway line that hits a lot of the major key spots in LA that can really be convenient enough to woo drivers out of their cars, and to shut those fucking critics up that always say the subway in general is a drain on the tax dollar (ever thought about what the rate of return is on the freeway system, paid for by tax payers?).

That substantial line is the extended Purple Line.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:50 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Architecturally, the Wilshire Margot is pretty generic. However, I do not find it cheap looking. The windows, use of stone, and metallic finishes are a nice departure from the faux, stucco-clad Tuscan architecture of the Orsini/Piero/Medici. Los Angeles could certainly use more Wilshire Margot's. Its design is simple and solid. Not every building has to be unique, innovative, or inspiring. Chicago, for instance, has a countless number of bland brownstones/bungalows. The same goes for New York, London, and Paris. I won't even mention Tokyo.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:54 AM

^ I never said it looked cheap. I just said I think this caliber of "architecture" and style is very normal in other cities. It ain't the worst thing, but it's nothing great. I would rather have more projects like this (with retail of course), than something like GLO. But then again, I'd rather have more projects like Hanover or Met Lofts, which aren't bad IMO.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:22 AM

^I concur. I will also mention Mura and Artisan on Second which scream Orange County to me. I would say Irvine but Bryne entitles only fake stucco McTuscany projects like WSL mentioned. If it's done well enough to look like what was done at UCLA in the early 20th century, then like LAB said, "people might actually think Los Angeles is beautiful." But hell I'd take Wilshire Margot over Geoff Palmer any day.
"highrises are tall and shiny and expensive and city-like!!! I'm eternally happy our 4 sq miles of shiny highrises is finally getting more shiny neighbors!! If we can't actually be a real city, at least we can look like one in the postcards!!! LAMG, citywatch, bjornson, if you're listening, post more pictures and comments!" - edluva

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:58 PM
Good Grief

Wilshire/La Brea downsized

Larchmont Chronicle

http://www.larchmontchronicle.com/Ar...?ArchiveID=854

BRE Properties proposed a seven-story, mixed-use project at the southeast corner of Wilshire Blvd. and La Brea Ave. at a community meeting last month.

The Art Deco-style development includes 562 studios and one-and two-bedroom units as well as retail space, said BRE development director Dave Powers. The commercial space would be under a third-story podium.

A revised Environmental Impact Report for the project is due this summer with public hearings to follow.

Input from the community and Councilman Tom LaBonge’s office resulted in a more streamlined building—the original proposal was as high as 18 stories with 654 units, Powers added.

The building will taper to three stories with townhomes built on Sycamore Ave. Public green space is planned at Eighth St., added Liz Fuller of the Sycamore Square Neighborhood Assoc.

The 3.4-acre, block-size project by Thomas P. Cox Architects will include largely underground parking. A start date is targeted for early 2010 with an opening date in 2012.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 8:36 PM
California goth

Wow they really shrank that thing. Ugh, fucking NIMBs. It is true that it was massively out of proportion with some of its surrounding environs but isn't most of Wilshire? It's a spine of high rises surrounded by lower density tracts throughout a lot of its course. I liked the original renders, the ground level presence had a very nice and large feel to it. Now it looks like every generic 6 story condo building going up in L.A. Balderdash.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 11:43 PM

OMG...they ruined it! I loved the original! This is truly sickening.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:14 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

In terms of scale, the new design is much more appropriate. In terms of design itself, what a shame!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 5:59 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

MAY 24, 2008 | Jefferson @ Hollywood, Madame Tussauds

Jefferson @ Hollywood

From Flickr, by Atwater Village Newbie

Madame Tussauds

From Flickr, by Atwater Village Newbie

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:20 AM
Good Grief

^Great above Hollywood shots, Westside.

The crane for Madame Tussauds' appears to be really tall. I didn't think the building itself was that tall?

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:16 AM

Wow, that's one of the best aerial views of Hollywood I've ever seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations