HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:50 PM

In related news, there's a project to renovate the northeast building at 710 NE Holladay St (which would have been demolished for the Phase I project):

Quote:
Minor exterior renovations to include: new storefront entrance, repair of entrance canopies, replace existing spandrel glazing with vision glass to increase natural lighting. Replace existing entry storefront with new system. No changes to stormwater disposal methods with this work.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:46 PM

From Portland Maps:

Quote:
Phased (2) block development on a portion of the site of the existing Oregon Square block. Two commercial office buildings are being proposed on Block 90 (SW) and Block 103 (SE). The buildings are (5) stories and (6) stories respectively totaling 370,000 GSF. The blocks will sit on one level of underground parking serving both buildings.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:48 PM

Beat me to the punch, mac. Guess we finally know what AAT wants to do..

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 9:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well that sounds lame, why not just build one 11 story building on one of the sites rather than use up half of the block. I am guessing the redevelopment of Oregon Square is going to be very underwhelming.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Well that sounds lame, why not just build one 11 story building on one of the sites rather than use up half of the block. I am guessing the redevelopment of Oregon Square is going to be very underwhelming.
Probably a factor of excavation and construction costs for underground parking. Much more efficient to do a large floor plate than several small ones.

If this area of town develops piecemeal over a decade or two as a mix of high rise and mid rise buildings I'd be perfectly happy with that. I liked the concept of Oregon Square, but I've seen very few mega developments that really nailed it in terms of placemaking.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
In addition to what AdamUrbanist mentioned, at 11 stories the buildings would be considered high rises by the building code. That triggers various code requirements which, while not insurmountable, are a bit of pain. Also, doing a phased development limits the amount of risk the developer / finance group is taking on.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 PM
Registered Ugly

The title says "dead"

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 6:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
The title says "dead"
It is referring to the original plan for this which is very much dead, but based on current climate, I wouldn't be surprised if these two buildings end up dead too with this recession and possibly depression we are at the beginning of.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 3:17 PM

Not to get too off topic, but I'd be surprised if anything currently underway, block 216 included, gets finished anywhere near schedule. We're in uncharted territory - they're talking 20% unemployment. I think we can forget about New Portland for a while.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 7:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Not to get too off topic, but I'd be surprised if anything currently underway, block 216 included, gets finished anywhere near schedule. We're in uncharted territory - they're talking 20% unemployment. I think we can forget about New Portland for a while.
Ugh, I hope this doesn't mean we have a new Portland Hole until another building gets built in it years from now.....but you are right, this is something none of us have ever experienced before and we have no idea what's gonna happen on the other side of this.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:47 PM
Here we stAy

Maybe if this superblock gets mothballed, there will be enough pent-up demand in the future for a proposal closer to the orignal/larger than Hassalo?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 9:44 PM

Neighborhood Contact Notice (with site plan).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:53 PM

Even with a much less ambitious series of projects on this block, these 5-6 story apartment buildings will be a welcome addition to 7th Ave. Especially with the bike/ped bridge being under construction over I-84. I wonder if the bridge factored into AAT's thinking at all. Bike Oriented Development, potentially?

Last edited by tworivers; Apr 24, 2020 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Even with a much less ambitious series of projects on this block, these 5-6 story apartment buildings will be a welcome addition to 7th Ave. Especially with the bike/ped bridge being under construction over I-84. I wonder if the bridge factored into AAT's thinking at all. Bike Oriented Development, potentially?
Both buildings are non-residential.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:29 PM

Two new office buildings at Oregon Square, designed by GBD Architects, would include 370,000 sq ft of new office space.
American Assets Trust is looking at building two new office buildings on Blocks 90 and 103 of the Lloyd District’s Oregon Square, reports the Daily Journal of Commerce. A previous proposal for the site was approved in 2015, but never broke ground.

Article in Next Portland

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:54 PM

Project has been submitted for Design Review:

Quote:
The proposed development is a (2) block development on a portion of the site of the existing Oregon Square block. Two commercial office buildings are being proposed on Block 90 (SW) and Block 103 (SE). The buildings are (5) stories and (6) stories respectfully totaling 413,000 GSF. The blocks will sit on one level of underground parking serving both buildings.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:00 AM
A before E

I like the design of these two buildings, but wish it was an 11 story building taking up only one of the sites and leaving the other site open for future development. But overall, it looks like decent office building space that will look better than what's there now.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:34 AM

For those working on new office building designs, are you seeing any virus influences on the requirements? HVAC, elevator, spaces, etc? Or are the projects going ahead with the assumption that all will return to normal?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 8:56 PM

All of my projects have looked at UV disinfection systems for sensitive areas like elevators and mail rooms

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland