HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:30 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
COTA is trying to come up with a new (or any) revenue stream. A permit was filed today for drive-in movies and concerts. They are working with C3, so maybe it will work.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3505807
They're also having a "bike night" planned. My brother and I might end up going.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/e...ethIRZRI56F6Jk

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:51 PM

Seems like COTA needs to start re-purposing the land. IMHO Epstein knows that and is already in the process of doing so...

It seems more and more like the track is in trouble wrt major racing.

Indy could return to replace Austin in 2020 | PlanetF1 https://www.planetf1.com/news/indian...r-speedway-f1/

If F1 does not race at COTA in 2020, and they do race at Indy this year, that's a very bad sign.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:28 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Seems like COTA needs to start re-purposing the land. IMHO Epstein knows that and is already in the process of doing so...

It seems more and more like the track is in trouble wrt major racing.

Indy could return to replace Austin in 2020 | PlanetF1 https://www.planetf1.com/news/indian...r-speedway-f1/

If F1 does not race at COTA in 2020, and they do race at Indy this year, that's a very bad sign.

It is sad to hear, especially since many drivers really liked the track, but honestly I have no sympathy for Epstein. He took the cheap route and this is where it's gotten him. He could have put in the needed money and effort to repair the track but he didn't. In the end it shafts Austin of a great race.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 6:39 PM

They don't just move F1 races to different tracks on a whim. The tracks have to be specifically approved by the FIA for meeting F1 safety requirements (runoffs, barriers, etc). As far as I know, COTA is still the only "approved" F1 track in the USA. I'm sure Indy could do it if they wanted, but why would F1 want to go through the hassle? If COTA is for sale, maybe Liberty Media should just buy it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
They don't just move F1 races to different tracks on a whim. The tracks have to be specifically approved by the FIA for meeting F1 safety requirements (runoffs, barriers, etc). As far as I know, COTA is still the only "approved" F1 track in the USA. I'm sure Indy could do it if they wanted, but why would F1 want to go through the hassle? If COTA is for sale, maybe Liberty Media should just buy it.
COTA and Indy are the only tracks in the US that are currently FIA Grade 1 certified. Indy is good to go already, and Penske is doing extensive renovations to the facilities, according to Tim Cindric.

F1 might be interested in COTA at the right price ... if they want to get into the track ownership business, but given its condition, COTA's debt situation, etc, I doubt it can be had for a realistic amount of money. Apparently Penske already kicked COTA's tires and passed on dealing for it.

Last edited by turn1; Jun 5, 2020 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
You do know F1 used to race at Indy on the Grand Prix infield course (which also uses some of the main speedway) from 2000 to 2007, right?

That race and the fans interest never really recovered from the 2005 tire debacle where most of the cars pulled off after the first lap.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You do know F1 used to race at Indy on the Grand Prix infield course (which also uses some of the main speedway) from 2000 to 2007, right?

That race and the fans interest never really recovered from the 2005 tire debacle where most of the cars pulled off after the first lap.
Yep, but I think F1 would do very well there now. Before the 2005 race, Indy had the biggest crowds in F1 history ... and even after it they had huge crowds by COTA standards. IIRC every Indy F1 crowd but one was bigger than the biggest-ever COTA crowd, even after the Michelin Tire Debacle in 2005.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 8:42 PM
Resident Moron

F1 is throwing together a real garbage calendar right now, I really would not read much into anything at this point. Lots of tracks are not going to survive Covid 19 and we honestly don't know what international travel is going to look like over the Summer yet which could still throw a wrench in things.

Indy is being reasonably conservative with other events (Gen Con was cancelled already) and I don't know any facility that can afford to operate an empty-seat arena unless F1 is planning on paying facilities to host races?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
F1 is throwing together a real garbage calendar right now, I really would not read much into anything at this point. Lots of tracks are not going to survive Covid 19 and we honestly don't know what international travel is going to look like over the Summer yet which could still throw a wrench in things.

Indy is being reasonably conservative with other events (Gen Con was cancelled already) and I don't know any facility that can afford to operate an empty-seat arena unless F1 is planning on paying facilities to host races?
Yeah, I've been thinking for some time that F1 was going to just run the Euro races and the Middle Eastern races. Nothing I've read or heard has swayed me from that line of thought. Then about a week before that latest F1 calendar came out, I was told by someone familiar with what's going on at F1 that a new F1 calendar would be released, featuring 8-12 European races. My friend said that F1 would talk about the flyaway races coming later on, but it was stressed that F1's true emphasis would be on the European races - due to massive shipping costs as MotoGP boss Ezpeleta also alluded to, and as a way to keep a good portion of their TV payments coming in. Apparently shipping costs have increased dramatically since the onset of the pandemic, like 2-3x what they were prior. Also, apparently Epstein has told F1 he has no interest in trying to promote a 2020 USGP, but has offered COTA for rent. The problem with that for F1 goes back to the massive shipping costs, making it financially unattractive to try to present the race on their own.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:27 PM

Just heard Rick Abbott is leaving COTA ... after less than 6 months as COO.

Last edited by turn1; Jun 8, 2020 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 10:31 PM
Member since 2001

Well, COTA...it was "fun" while it lasted. But, as each day has its sunrise...so does it have a sunset.

Hey, Epstein, next time don't be such an A**H***!

What a shame!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:13 PM

I'll be sad to see F1 fade away in Austin. Does Michael Dell want to get into the racing business?

I'll never forget going to the 2012 F1 race with my dad while sitting along the esses and watching Mark Webber, my favorite driver, make his way around the track until he retired due to a KERS issue. Austin is the type of cosmopolitan city that F1 loves, here's hoping it makes its way back at some point.

Last edited by Tornado; Jun 11, 2020 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:03 AM

I think they'll be back in 2021. The latest I saw was none of Austin, Montreal, Mexico City, or Interlagos are likely this year.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:54 PM

13-round European 2020 MotoGP calendar revealed, mostly double-headers, plus 4 provisional flyaway races still yet to be confirmed http://www.visordown.com/news/racing...double-headers

November 15 in Valencia. That was COTA's rescheduled date. Late November at the earliest then for COTA. Doesn't seem very likely to happen.

And the COTA website still has that race listed for Nov 15 & is selling tickets for an unconfirmed race on a date they don't even have. WTF?

Seems legit. And totally not embarrassing at all.

2020 MotoGP World Championship calendar
Rd DATE MotoGP Race Venue
1 19 July Spain Circuit de Jerez
2 26 July Andalucia Circuit de Jerez
3 09 August Czech Republic Automotodrom Brno
4 16 August Austria Red Bull Ring
5 23 August Styria Red Bull Ring
6 13 September San Martino Misano World Circuit
7 20 September Emilia Romagna Misano World Circuit
8 27 September Catalunya Barcelona-Catalunya
9 11 October France Le Mans
10 18 October Aragon Motorland Aragon
11 25 October Teruel Motorland Aragon
12 08 November Europe Comunitat Valenciana
13 15 November Valencia Comunitat Valenciana
14 TBC Americas Circuit of The Americas
15 TBC Argentina Termas de Rio Hondo
16 TBC Thailand Chang International Circuit
17 TBC Malaysia Sepang International Circuit

Last edited by turn1; Jun 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:27 AM

Went out on Tuesday with the kiddos to ride. Holy shit that was fun.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:42 PM

Report: Canadian Grand Prix set for October 9-11 (French)

This date aligns with Austin's date, so possible good news for COTA as well...

https://t.co/OqzqBmZ5VM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:51 AM

Toto Wolff, re: USGP, Brazil, & Mexico ...

Mercedes does not see GPs in Brazil and the United States; Mexico also uncertain http://www.gpblog.com/en/news/62152/...uncertain.html
Quote:
The Grands Prix of the United States and Brazil do not seem to be included for the 2020 Formula 1 calendar. That's what Toto Wolff says Friday in Austria. In these countries, the number of corona infections increases every day, so it doesn't seem desirable to let the Formula 1 circus travel westbound anytime soon. Sounds more and more like Canada has a chance.

"Looking at those countries right now, you cannot possibly imagine we would be going there", says Wolff in conversation with the BBC. The team boss of Mercedes talked to Liberty Media top man Chase Carey this week. "He doesn't want to close any doors but it doesn't look like we will be going there."

Safety is still priority number one and so the odds seem to be very slim. "They are pretty diligent and they wouldn't go there if it was a risk for our people."
So in other words, like I've been thinking, there's pretty much no way a USGP at COTA is going to happen in 2020, but F1 is keeping it on the calendar until they absolutely must remove it ... and hoping for a miracle in the meantime.

Last edited by turn1; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:37 PM

It's official. MotoGP / MotoAmerica Austin round canceled.

2020 COTA MotoGP Round Cancelled https://blog.motorcycle.com/2020/07/...und-cancelled/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:15 PM
Resident Moron

F1 will follow suit. There is no good reason to expose any of the teams to the US at this point in time.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
F1 will follow suit. There is no good reason to expose any of the teams to the US at this point in time.
Yes, agreed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin