HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:22 PM

Question Whatever happened to the Atlanta development map (devmap.io)?

I realize that I'm probably OOTL regarding this, but the Atlanta development map used to be a great resource for looking at all sorts of new developments (proposed, under construction, completed) across Midtown, Downtown, and beyond. Sometime within the last couple of years, it appears that the site changed, instead prompting visitors to log in (to what account?). Considering that there's nowhere to even sign up, I've assumed that this just means that the site in general is no longer updated/maintained, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.

The development list thread here on this forum is great by itself—massive props to smArTaLlone for keeping it updated after all this time—but it unfortunately doesn't provide the same geographic context that the devmap.io site used to. I'm also aware of Curbed Atlanta's map of developments, but it's unfortunately limited to just Midtown. Also, Curbed's map is a bit lacking in that it doesn't actually show the (proposed) footprint of the developments like devmap.io used to, making it harder to figure out exactly where the new buildings are going to be; one of my favorite things to do with the old dev map was to turn on the satellite imagery and determine the extent that surface/vacant lots would be infilled after development was complete.

So, first of all: has the old Atlanta development map indeed been taken down, or am I missing something? If it is down, is there a new site/map that communicates the information in a similar way? And if not, would anybody be interested in a new site/map that presents this info?

I ask because I'd be willing to create something new, though I might need some help to get a domain/embed it into the site with metadata. I used to make simple development maps covering different neighborhoods in my spare time until Atlanta dev map came along; as an example, here's the Sweet Auburn neighborhood development map I had made. If I recall correctly, blue corresponded to "complete," yellow was "under construction," orange was "proposed," and red meant "underdeveloped" or something, usually along the lines of vacant/surface lots. Keep in mind that I must've made this map over ten years ago, so a lot has changed since then. I think I also might've been a bit overzealous in terms of what I categorized as "underdeveloped" as well; it looks like I considered an area "underdeveloped" if a building didn't directly abut the sidewalk—a rather narrow view in hindsight. Regardless, if I were to make a new map like that for public use, I wouldn't even include that category.

Anyways, please let me know in the comments if such a thing already exists, and where I can find it if so. And if it doesn't exist anymore, please let me know if it's something that you'd be interested in seeing again!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:28 PM

I too have missed devmaps.io since it got locked up. A new updated map would be awesome and I'd totally contribute to keeping it updated.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 2:09 PM
Kev K

Here is my up-to-date version of Midtown, Downtown, and other close-in neighborhoods. Originally cribbed from someone else's G maps version, I have generally kept this up to date.

Google My Maps - Atlanta Development

* edit - Midtown construction data chart as well

Last edited by RATBOYKEV; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:06 PM
Jamie Jordan

Development Map

I think my map is the one you're referring to (and the one "cribbed" to create the map above).

It can be accessed at this link (I just now charge a $25 annual access fee to help compensate for all the time put into creating and maintaining it): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uo...Mt&usp=sharing

To purchase the annual access pass, just visit this link: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/metro-atl...ent-map-access

A lot of info has been added or updated since it was used to create the one above.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plorenc View Post
If it is down, is there a new site/map that communicates the information in a similar way? And if not, would anybody be interested in a new site/map that presents this info?
What kind of stuff did the devmap use to do? Having a site that shows everything on top of a map sounds cool. I could help with the development of site that does this provided there's interest. I have some ideas on how it could work.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:17 PM
Jamie Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebezo View Post
What kind of stuff did the devmap use to do? Having a site that shows everything on top of a map sounds cool. I could help with the development of site that does this provided there's interest. I have some ideas on how it could work.
By my memory, the devmap.io map (if that's the one referenced by the original poster) only had under construction projects and planned projects. I previously used it a lot as well; however, it was never maintained well, there would frequently be announced projects that were left out, the information included would be way outdated, and it didn't do a good job of showing the actual footprint of the projects.

All of those reasons are why I started building my own map (posted above) about 4-5 years ago. I wanted a single map built over the accuracy of Google Maps satellite imagery that showed under construction projects, planned projects, projects completed in recent past (5-7 years or so), prime parcels for development or redevelopment, and some of my ideas for planned infrastructure enhancements. I wanted a single place to look at all of these things inside the Perimeter; not a separate map for Midtown, Downtown, Buckhead, etc.

I've also added a few other layers that can be enabled, including the boundaries of in-town historical neighborhoods (still fully building that out) and hypothetical plans for a regional commuter rail network using existing freight rail lines. I maintain and update it daily, and I'm always refining the information included. Most recently, I've been going through all the parcels that I've found to be prime for redevelopment and adding the link to the property records for the parcel so that you can easily see the current property owner and if it appears the site has already been purchased by a developer for plans to develop in the future. For the planned and under construction projects, I also include any project renderings that have been released publicly, any media stories that have been published about the project, and links to any relevant permit information if that is the only thing currently available with project info.

I'm always open to suggestions for enhancements. I originally started the map just for my own curiosities and interests. But, after it grew substantially and I realized some people were using it for their own professional endeavors, I decided to start charging a small access fee simply to compensate for the countless hours I have put into the map since I don't personally benefit from it professionally.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta