Neighborhood: Avenue of the Arts
District: Center City
Floors: 15 floors
Height: 202 feet

CDR Submission PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcie398upj...small.pdf?dl=0

Old Project Renderings:

Quote:
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: developer Carl Dranoff has big plans for a key corner of South Broad Street.

No, we’re not talking about the delayed SLS Lux project at Broad and Spruce, or his Symphony House tower at Broad and Pine. We’re not even talking about SouthStar Lofts at Broad and South, or 777 South Broad at Fitzwater.

This time, Dranoff has his sights set on the other corner of Broad and Pine, specifically the northeastern quadrant that currently houses a Starbucks, Sumo Sushi and a dilapidated parking garage, for another SLS-branded project called the Hyde Hotel. It's intended to be a "bookend" for the aforementioned SLS Lux, Dranoff told members of the Washington Square West Civic Association during an information-only presentation on Tuesday night.

Dranoff has once again partnered with sbe to create a 22-story mixed-use tower proposal featuring a ground floor restaurant, an underground parking garage, 76 hotel rooms and approximately 83 apartment units. It would all be topped by a separate restaurant on the roof deck located on the 23rd floor.

The garage is currently owned by the estate of Sam Rappaport, and Dranoff has a deal in place to purchase the property, said Peter Kelsen, zoning attorney for the project,

Dranoff told those gathered that he had been trying to buy this property for 13 years, and he expects closing to occur by June 1. Much like with the SLS Lux project, the partners will look to pursue legislative rezoning to up-zone it from CMX-4 to CMX-5, the latter would allow for a building of this proposed height and overall size.

Hyde Hotels are the mid-tier flag of SLS, and Dranoff compared them to a Kimpton or W. The idea isn't to compete with the SLS Lux, but to provide a variety of options and price points.

The proposed tower would rise to 292-feet, with floors 5 through 10 housing the hotel rooms and 11 and above containing a mix of studio, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments. Michael Ytterberg, principal of BLTa, the architect on the project, said the building would fit into the context of the Philadelphia architectural landscape, ultimately deferring to the "iconic" designs of the much-taller and top-of-the-line SLS Lux up the street: "[The design of the Hyde Hotel] looks like a building that's always been there."

As such, early conceptual designs call for a slender tower composed of glazed, industrial-style windows, brick on the east and west, and topped with metal paneling. The L-shaped design will rise to the height of the adjacent Hamilton Building (roughly 9-stories) on South Broad Street, but taper in at the third floor to allow a sizable amount of space in order to preserve the light well. Though not utilized as a community space, a courtyard with a green roof would be visible from the Hamilton Building.

From there, the northern side of the building becomes partitions of brick and metal panels separated by two glass shafts: one is a window for the studio units and the other a glass elevator to the roof top restaurant.
The information-only presentation marked the very beginning of the process, and Kelsen said they've had a "favorable response" from the Philadelphia City Planning Commission (PCPC). He also noted that, although they don't have any legislation introduced at this time, the PCPC also wanted to see the project done through legislative rezoning.

If all goes according to plan, Kelsen said that construction could start in early 2017. A 20-month construction timeline would put the opening of the new Hyde Hotel/apartments at some point in 2018.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...YvCf0d4DUKC.99

Last edited by summersm343; Feb 15, 2022 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:29 PM

holy funk! did not see this one coming.. i thought this thread would be about the hotel proposal at Broad and Locust. This section of Broad St. is about to explode with development!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:33 PM

Design certainly doesn't stand out too much, but let's just hope BLT picks a better color for this corner of Broad and Pine!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjPhilly View Post
Design certainly doesn't stand out too much, but let's just hope BLT picks a better color for this corner of Broad and Pine!
It says Conceptual renderings, which means we can't really judge the design yet because it is preliminary and will likely change.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:21 PM

Dranoff has a lot of plans for South Broad. A little more action would be preferable.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Dranoff has a lot of plans for South Broad. A little more action would be preferable.
What plans does he have that haven't moved forward yet? SLS and Royal Theater redev?... which are both awaiting the state budget to pass so they can move forward.

Otherwise every other project is built (SouthStar Lofts, 777 S. Broad) or under construction (One Riverside).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
What plans does he have that haven't moved forward yet? SLS and Royal Theater redev?... which are both awaiting the state budget to pass so they can move forward.

Otherwise every other project is built (SouthStar Lofts, 777 S. Broad) or under construction (One Riverside).
Fair enough. I was thinking Broad and Washington was his too, but that's Blatstein.

Will be great if he can get these off the ground.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I was thinking Broad and Washington was his too, but that's Blatstein.

Will be great if he can get these off the ground.
Can-do-Carl as we call him. I don't think he's proposed a project yet that hasn't gotten off the ground.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:14 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Also keep in mind these are cruddy cell phone photos of the prelim renderings shown to WSWCA last night. Dranoff rep told me that they're not releasing official renders till late Jan or early Feb.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Also keep in mind these are cruddy cell phone photos of the prelim renderings shown to WSWCA last night. Dranoff rep told me that they're not releasing official renders till late Jan or early Feb.
Sounds good

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 8:04 PM

Nice!!! South Broad St is exploding with developments!!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Even if we don't love them all, he's already finished three projects (Symphony, South Star and 777), with another in the starting gate (SLS), and this one in the farm system. Not too bad. Any more action and we should consider naming it Dranoff Blvd.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
It says Conceptual renderings, which means we can't really judge the design yet because it is preliminary and will likely change.
Sure, but as a "concept" it represents the general design direction they're looking to take this. Which is to say, not sleek and modern. That would have been one way to bookend the SLS and more attractive in my mind. This direction seems decent enough, and I have to imagine neither Dranoff nor BLT want to repeat the Symphony House color fiasco, so seems like it will be a solid addition to Broad Street.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 1:01 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjPhilly View Post
Sure, but as a "concept" it represents the general design direction they're looking to take this. Which is to say, not sleek and modern. That would have been one way to bookend the SLS and more attractive in my mind. This direction seems decent enough, and I have to imagine neither Dranoff nor BLT want to repeat the Symphony House color fiasco, so seems like it will be a solid addition to Broad Street.
The architects do not want a "sleek modern" building for this property. In fact, they feel as if such a building would clash with the SLS, and this is supposed to be the block's second fiddle. The major architectural features are being purposely designed to evoke the 1920s. At least, that's the sense I got from the presentation.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 3:48 AM

First off, taking the conversation from the main Philly thread, there's no reason to believe these renderings will be such a dramatic change from what the final product will be.

And I have to say that I actually like the large warehouse-style windows and metal panels.
Quote:
Looks like they're trying to blend contemporary and traditional elements, which could turn out interesting; I actually DO NOT think they are trying to evoke the 1920's. (Which to me is a good thing because the last time Dranoff and BLTa tried to do that, we got the Symphony House - but apparently I'm in the minority in disliking it). But yea, they're clearly making this design to be different from the SLS.

The height is very nice for this area. But it kills me that nearly every single high rise proposal since the new zoning code was enacted has required legislative rezoning. I don't get why a not-even 300 foot tower can't be built by right at this location. 1900 Chestnut and 1911 Walnut are also zoned CMX-4. All these lots should have been CMX-5 in the first place.

Lastly, the Starbucks there is pretty busy, despite their being several others nearby. I hope they have at least a small retail space. Broad Street needs it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 4:44 AM

I love how SLS appears in the conceptual render. It just shows how vibrant South Broad will be once SLS, along with this new project, are completed!

I also love the throwback design. It reminds me of what is occurring at 1601 Vine. If the materials are quality, then this building will undoubtedly enhance South Broad, which is already a hotbed for new development! The last pieces to fall into place will be the developments at Broad and Locust and Broad and Fitzwater. Before you know it, South Broad will be completely filled in!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:50 PM

Article on Philly.com.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...mpetition.html

Loving the expansion of this area. Ave of Arts has a lot going on!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Article on Philly.com.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...mpetition.html

I like it.

Has the SLS rendering changed? Hmm.

Last edited by Boku; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 2:02 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post

This area has always been hot between the Gayborhood and Rittenhouse. Just about time somebody started cooking something there.

Last edited by Human Scale; Sep 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 2:15 PM

I like it!

The updated (?) SLS? Not so much. The reddish/golden glass was unique whereas the bluish-silvery glass is the very opposite of unique. Besides that, it doesn't appear to have changed, from this vantage point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals