HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Renderings And New Details Revealed For Macklowe’s Tower Fifth, In Midtown

Quote:
The most notable detail of Tower Fifth is the planned observatory, called “Sky of The Americas,” that will sit 1,451 feet high, making it the highest such attraction in the United States and the second-highest in North America, only 14 feet lower than the CN Tower’s upper observation deck. Renderings show a large open-air platform, a restaurant with a wrap-around floor-to-ceiling glass wall, and a vertigo-inducing rectangular U-shaped glass floor like the protruding Skywalk at Grand Canyon. Another interesting feature is a pair of tubular glass slides that spiral down multiple stories, taking visitors out over the side of the building. Also planned inside would be a chapel and a roof sculpture garden.

The following renderings illustrate how Tower Fifth will rise from the parcel. The main lobby at ground level will feature a through-block hallway lined with white marble spanning the depth of the lot. In a striking design flourish, the tower will sit atop a narrow pedestal that rises nearly 400 feet above the street, higher than the spires of the nearby cathedral. The balancing of the tower above this pair of structural cores calls to mind the architecture of the Citigroup Center.

The main portion of the tower then features a regular grid of windows measuring about 15 feet wide with nine in a row on the northern and southern sides and 13 on the eastern and western. The podium would house the entrances to the elevator cores, a retail and food market in the cellar levels, an atrium that spans the whole height, expansive seating areas, and a three-story auditorium.
================
NYY

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:06 PM

^ The details look quite elegant. I just wish the top were more natural. Unfortunately, the overall design hasn't changed since it was first released in Jan 2019, so what we see now is probably more or less final.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:28 PM
BANNED

YIMBY rules!

This looks way better though I still don’t see HM building it before he dies. I can’t see a spec tower like this getting financed any time soon, and the small floors are clearly intended for small, high-end financial firms.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think it may be one of those designs that we'll grow to love. Killer interiors and the atrium. That observation deck, 2nd highest in the Western Hemisphere when complete. Looks promising.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
YIMBY rules!

This looks way better though I still don’t see HM building it before he dies. I can’t see a spec tower like this getting financed any time soon, and the small floors are clearly intended for small, high-end financial firms.
Makes me wonder what the rents will be; $/sq ft. I wonder if we will be seeing $200/sq-ft for the office component. I'd imagine the retail would command closer to $600 sq-ft. Cheap compared to rents on 5th (basement retail possibly?).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 6:59 PM

It s so great if only this tower rise to 1800ft it will be nice to new York city .
The architectural of this tower is so modernized !!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Makes me wonder what the rents will be; $/sq ft. I wonder if we will be seeing $200/sq-ft for the office component. I'd imagine the retail would command closer to $600 sq-ft. Cheap compared to rents on 5th (basement retail possibly?).
I’ll bet that the upper floors will be at least $300/sf.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:04 PM
DENNAB

432's ugly cousin suddenly looks a lot better, still not amazing, but better.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Ahhh, Macklowe couldn't take it that another tower was getting some attention, lol.

But this is what I wanted to see, both the top and the bottom of this tower. And that observation deck will be insane. "Sky of the Americas" sounds good, but he better hope they aren't planning anything higher at the Hyatt. Not sure why the renders aren't in the right location, but it doesn't matter.

Here you see the slide...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 28, 2020 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:33 PM
DENNAB

Did this get a height cut? It says 1,524' on the diagram buy maybe it's just wrong.

That observatory looks terrifying but also awesome.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

How is this picture the 5 East 51st Street location?? ..looks south of Bryant park.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Did this get a height cut? It says 1,524' on the diagram buy maybe it's just wrong.

That observatory looks terrifying but also awesome.
Probably just an older number. Those renderings look dated, just based on the diagram. But that observation deck does look awesome. Like an amusement park in the sky. That slide looks bigger than I was expecting. That 3 level top portion should be screened in to hide the mechanicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
How is this picture the 5 East 51st Street location?? ..looks south of Bryant park.

They were projected from the ESB deck. The tower would actually be higher than depicted in those renderings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:39 PM

The height now is shorter than cpt by 7m i wish the height increases to 1700ft !!!!
I guess 1524ft is a mistak

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
The height now is shorter than cpt by 7m i wish the height increases to 1700ft !!!!

Why not 2000ft!!!!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Pretty sure it's an old drawing, made when the year 2019 was in the future. 1524' was probably the original plan, but later Macklowe decided to beat the CPT by adding the 3-level top block seen in the above renderings.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:28 PM

I hope there's room for all these new decks on the market.

One World Trade will always be popular as there aren't any other decks going up downtown for the foreseeable future. Not to mention its iconic status thanks to the association with 9/11. The ESB decks will never stop being popular, they're too famous. Edge at the Yards is the hot new thing and will benefit from tourist interest in the flashy new district, once the tourists return that is, and if the city doesn't spiral into bankruptcy again.

I foresee a drop in Top Of The Rock's numbers sadly, and I don't think Vanderbilt's deck will be as popular as Tower Fifth's due to the height discrepancy. Vanderbilt will have several years to make a name for itself at least. I'm anxious to see what they have in store up there.

Chrysler's possible deck is a question mark. It could be more of a niche affair with a lower capacity and higher prices lending it a classic VIP feel compared to the heavily themed decks elsewhere.

We'll see.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Pretty sure it's an old drawing, made when the year 2019 was in the future. 1524' was probably the original plan, but later Macklowe decided to beat the CPT by adding the 3-level top block seen in the above renderings.
Let's hope Macklowe doesn't get any ideas with the Grand Hyatt tower on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I hope there's room for all these new decks on the market.

One World Trade will always be popular as there aren't any other decks going up downtown for the foreseeable future. Not to mention its iconic status thanks to the association with 9/11. The ESB decks will never stop being popular, they're too famous. Edge at the Yards is the hot new thing and will benefit from tourist interest in the flashy new district, once the tourists return that is, and if the city doesn't spiral into bankruptcy again.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. It'll just generate more demand, and all of these decks have unique attractions that distinguish them from each other. The old days of just going up and looking out a window are over. Of course, a lot is riding on the tourist being able to come back into the city, and with help on the horizon worldwide, I wouldn't worry too much about that either.

I've been trying to visit tourist attractions while the hordes are way. And the Empire State deck was a very pleasant experience, the crowds were still low. Same with 30 Rock. But I went back to the Edge at Hudson Yards a couple of weeks ago, and they are still letting too many people up there. With distancing now being enforced by ropes, currently you will have to stand in line just to get good views and move on to the next "photo op". All while the freezing wind rips around you. Not the place to be standing still, lol. But it goes to show you, that even now, people love a thrill. So we'll get Vandy next year, with it's thrills. The climbing adventure atop 30 Hudson will probably open sometime next year. The Chrysler will open sometime, to a more refined crowd. For just simply enjoying a view, Top of the Rock is still my favorite because it's in the center of everything.

But this new deck seems it will push the limits in the city even further. I look forward to being able to look down on something like this, being on it would take some getting used to. I'm still not used to that opening in the Edge. And that slide looks mind blowing. But first things first, Macklowe has to get the puzzle in order before he can even file for approval.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:09 AM

I don't know whether to hate or love this design. It's certainly innovative and would be an icon.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Let's hope Macklowe doesn't get any ideas with the Grand Hyatt tower on the horizon.
An arms race between Tower Fifth and Grand Hyatt would be exciting!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post

You're correct!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals