HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
While Vegas would be a great NBA city, I would think the travel required for an Eastern Conference team would make that untenable.
I agree. Let me clarify the my sentence that you quoted. I wasn't suggesting that Vegas was being added to the list of temporary cities for Toronto to call home for 2021. I was saying that Vegas may be considered an expansion city by the NBA.

Newark could very well be a good location for Toronto in 2021. I was only stating my opinion that Newark probably is not a city being considered for NBA expansion.

Nashville would offer Toronto a pretty good location travel wise for most of it's Eastern Conference games and positions them a bit further west geographically when they have a game against a Western Conference team. Nashville offers really good proximity to the teams in the southeast and upper mid-west. As some one else indicated, Toronto is probably looking at the best location to reduce travel time. Nashville will reduce travel time more so than Newark. Now, hotel cost in Newark are cheaper than Nashville, at least downtown and mid-town Nashville. Just a year ago, Nashville had the highest average hotel cost of any city in the US. Newark, is not a destination city, so its hotel cost are typically lower. They attempt to pull travelers to NYC be offering significantly lower hotel rates.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Just a year ago, Nashville had the highest average hotel cost of any city in the US.
To clarify...That was a ranking compiled by cheaphotels.org and it was only for the month of October (2019). The prices identified reflect the average rate for each city’s cheapest available double room (minimum three-star hotel) for the period October 1-31, 2019.

I will preface this with the fact that October is traditionally the most expensive month for hotels across the U.S.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 5:22 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I agree. Let me clarify the my sentence that you quoted. I wasn't suggesting that Vegas was being added to the list of temporary cities for Toronto to call home for 2021. I was saying that Vegas may be considered an expansion city by the NBA.

Newark could very well be a good location for Toronto in 2021. I was only stating my opinion that Newark probably is not a city being considered for NBA expansion.

Nashville would offer Toronto a pretty good location travel wise for most of it's Eastern Conference games and positions them a bit further west geographically when they have a game against a Western Conference team. Nashville offers really good proximity to the teams in the southeast and upper mid-west. As some one else indicated, Toronto is probably looking at the best location to reduce travel time. Nashville will reduce travel time more so than Newark. Now, hotel cost in Newark are cheaper than Nashville, at least downtown and mid-town Nashville. Just a year ago, Nashville had the highest average hotel cost of any city in the US. Newark, is not a destination city, so its hotel cost are typically lower. They attempt to pull travelers to NYC be offering significantly lower hotel rates.
Oh yes, I would say Las Vegas--along with Seattle--are at the top of the relocation/expansion list for the NBA. MGM Resorts took on a WNBA franchise partly as a way of wooing the NBA to town. MGM's former CEO is close with Adam Silver too.

As for the hotel issue in Nashville, I'm not sure this is as big a problem. With group business in Nashville (and everywhere) getting crushed, any property would welcome a chance at guaranteed occupancy to bolster the bottom line. I could be wrong, but I think a large room block for a several-month period would be attractive to a hotel, which could absorb a much lower rate than leisure travelers get.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Oh yes, I would say Las Vegas--along with Seattle--are at the top of the relocation/expansion list for the NBA. MGM Resorts took on a WNBA franchise partly as a way of wooing the NBA to town. MGM's former CEO is close with Adam Silver too.

As for the hotel issue in Nashville, I'm not sure this is as big a problem. With group business in Nashville (and everywhere) getting crushed, any property would welcome a chance at guaranteed occupancy to bolster the bottom line. I could be wrong, but I think a large room block for a several-month period would be attractive to a hotel, which could absorb a much lower rate than leisure travelers get.
That's a good point regarding the block of rooms they would require being attractive. And, considering that the pandemic has entered into a second massive wave of positive tests and hospitalizations across the country, I don't see tourism picking up anytime soon. Of course this all be a mute discussion because the NBA could very well decide to go right back to the bubble in Orlando to once again confine and protect the players, coaches, etc. It seemed to have worked the first time. And, with the increases in the spread of the virus nationwide, it may be their only alternative. Maybe they'll consider having more than one bubble. Nashville wouldn't factor into that unless they blocked the Opryland Hotel for rooms and used their ballrooms for gyms... But, I think they'd choose a western location for a second bubble if they went that route.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:44 PM
Nashville born and raised

From a month or so ago.....the 2006 Residential Tower. It's topped out now.

The West End Avenue corridor is adding quite a few towers with more to come.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Dang it! I would have like to see the Raptors in Nashville - at least for part of a season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...pen-nba-season

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:03 PM

Finally have some fresh news to report after an uncharacteristic lull...the beautiful Moore building proposal seems to be back in development after a delay due to concerns about the economy. The have applied for a foundation permit. Creed Investment Company has reportedly acquired the land and all financing.
The building will be two blocks from world famous Music Row.

I will have some big, big news and pictures on another project in a day or two.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Finally have some fresh news to report after an uncharacteristic lull...the beautiful Moore building proposal seems to be back in development after a delay due to concerns about the economy. The have applied for a foundation permit. Creed Investment Company has reportedly acquired the land and all financing.
The building will be two blocks from world famous Music Row.

I will have some big, big news and pictures on another project in a day or two.
Able to provide any hints on the location of this big project?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:41 PM
Babylon falling

NBA Expansion/Relocation will not be to Nashville or LV

It will be to Seattle or San Diego. Seattle is obvious due to them becoming Bay Area 2.0 and already having a viable Sonics franchise taken away 11 years ago.

Let me explain SD. It is by far the biggest US metro with only 1 sports team. It is the most wide open sports market in the nation. All we have is MLB. Metro area is 3.7 million with another 2.2 million in Tijuana (growing middle class there it isn't a dusty border town dump anymore).

Nash hasn't even hit 2 million metro yet and they have 2 sports which compete with NBA in Fall thru Spring (NFL/NHL). MLB doesn't overlap with NBA at all.

Las Vegas same thing slightly bigger metro with NFL and NHL. Now lets think about the viability of the LV economy going forward in the "Viral New Normal" their economy isn't nearly diverse enough. This will be a very rough decade for them.

Which industry is almost guaranteed to do will in this new paradigm? BIOTECH, guess who is booming right now in this Sector..... SD

We have enough tech to carry us through, Military Industrial Complex and all the associated war machine companies etc. So that is my case for why SD would get a team before Nash/LV.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 9:39 PM

Nashville is the largest population center of its state and is centrally located in the state. That's an advantage over a larger metro that is close to another large city.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
It will be to Seattle or San Diego. Seattle is obvious due to them becoming Bay Area 2.0 and already having a viable Sonics franchise taken away 11 years ago.

Let me explain SD. It is by far the biggest US metro with only 1 sports team. It is the most wide open sports market in the nation. All we have is MLB. Metro area is 3.7 million with another 2.2 million in Tijuana (growing middle class there it isn't a dusty border town dump anymore).

Nash hasn't even hit 2 million metro yet and they have 2 sports which compete with NBA in Fall thru Spring (NFL/NHL). MLB doesn't overlap with NBA at all.

Las Vegas same thing slightly bigger metro with NFL and NHL. Now lets think about the viability of the LV economy going forward in the "Viral New Normal" their economy isn't nearly diverse enough. This will be a very rough decade for them.

Which industry is almost guaranteed to do will in this new paradigm? BIOTECH, guess who is booming right now in this Sector..... SD

We have enough tech to carry us through, Military Industrial Complex and all the associated war machine companies etc. So that is my case for why SD would get a team before Nash/LV.
The NFL never should have left SD. But the league allowed that.... obviously the owners run that league. Nashville is actually at the center of nearly 4M people that don't live within 200 miles of a professional baseball team. Never thought Nashville was a NBA market... demographics just aren't there. But it appears to be a very viable MLB expansion market. I think we'd rather have MLB than NBA. If the NBA ever thought there might be a potential market for their sport, they maybe should have tried to get the Raptors to come here. They didn't, and they'll probably do better in Tampa than in Nashville anyway.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 11:20 PM
Future God

Quote:

With the Grizz in Memphis I think it'll be a long, long time before Nashville gets an NBA team, if they ever do.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
The NFL never should have left SD. But the league allowed that.... obviously the owners run that league. Nashville is actually at the center of nearly 4M people that don't live within 200 miles of a professional baseball team. Never thought Nashville was a NBA market... demographics just aren't there. But it appears to be a very viable MLB expansion market. I think we'd rather have MLB than NBA. If the NBA ever thought there might be a potential market for their sport, they maybe should have tried to get the Raptors to come here. They didn't, and they'll probably do better in Tampa than in Nashville anyway.
There are some intriguing reports on Nashville's efforts to get an expansion team. One is about the possibility of Theo Epstein getting involved...

Quote:
It appears Theo Epstein is taking a bit of break after departing the Chicago Cubs.

The 46-year-old has stepped down as the Cubs’ president of baseball operations following nine years in the role.

Now, Epstein plans to take a year off before a potential return to the league with an ownership group or expansion franchise, assuming Nashville stays in the running, per USA Today’s Bob Nightengale.
The other, from the Tennessee Lookout, says former Governor and current multi-billionaire, Bob Haslam (brother of Cleveland Browns owner, Jim Haslam) may get involved.

Quote:
However, there’s another name circulating the courthouse rumor mill as a possible leader of a legitimate MLB expansion effort in Nashville: former Gov. Bill Haslam.

Because of his wealth and political clout, Haslam wouldn’t need to partner with Loar and Music City Baseball. Haslam is the kind of billionaire with a capital B necessary to lead a professional sports ownership group.
The link to the primary expansion team recruitment group which includes former Boston GM, Dave Dombrowski...is Music City Baseball

And I think Nashville's American League market could be measured in the 10's of millions.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
... Never thought Nashville was a NBA market... demographics just aren't there. ...
What are the NBA demographics that are not in Nashville?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:15 PM

That is a very very generous potential market area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

And I think Nashville's American League market could be measured in the 10's of millions.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:32 PM

That market map is ridiculous. They skewed there numbers by limiting to AL teams. I don’t think MLB fans really care if it’s an AL franchise or NL franchise. Hell they included all of north GA which is clearly Braves territory. There are 3 of the most popular NL teams in the country within 4 hrs drive of Nashville and the author chose to disregard that fact. Who wrote that crap? They were EXTREMELY biased and unprofessional.

I don’t care and not for or against Nashville. I am very happy they are now part of the MLS. I am not even an MLB fan at all, but that type of journalism needs to be addressed. The author clearly eliminated 1/2 the league just to try and justify his argument/point. Don’t spread garbage!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Dec 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:

Some clarification;
  • Nashville is a destination city and generates a lot of tourism from people who travel across the country and around the world with the specific aim of visiting Music City, USA. Hundreds of thousands came to Nashville to be here for the 2019 NFL Draft.
  • There are plenty of relocated fans of AL teams living within the 'market area' as shown on the map. And Tiger fans, White Sox, Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox, etc. would love to travel a couple of hundred miles to see their beloved AL team play in Nashville and the visit the other attractions on their very affordable, weekend visit. That includes Atlanta residents who are also fans of distant AL teams.
  • By AL market, it intends to include the aforementioned fans who could be counted as providing a measurable boost to the Nashville attendance figures as Atlanta MLS fans did when they drove up I-24 to help inflate the Nashville MLS debut game attendance to 59,000.
  • As a long time Titans fan, I've seen plenty of games where fans from other cities flock to our town on game day primarily as an excuse to visit our fair city.

I know the Nashville market is one of the smaller markets to have 3 of the 5 major league sports and in the hunt to get at least a fourth. And it is dependent on tourism to fill some of the sports venues including what will be the largest soccer specific stadium to be built in the USA. Nashville is getting a Nascar race and Indy Car street race (projected attendance, 100,000) and even a strong possibility of hosting some FIFA World Cup games in 2026.

I stand by the assertion that there is a distinct American League (sub) market and Nashville is well located to capitalize on that. There are plenty of people willing to bet their own money on Nashville's ability to throw a party.

I'm through with this discussion, now.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 10, 2020 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:44 PM
Babylon falling

Odds of MLB Expansion are very slim IMO

If anything there will be relocations of Oakland A's or Tampa Ray's. If they can't figure out stadium solutions or the market is deemed no longer viable I could see one of these teams moving to Charlotte, Montreal, Portland, San Antonio, or possibly Nashville. MLB is struggling hard in TV ratings demographics of TV viewers etc. Attendance in some markets is still decent but overall it has been going down.

Side question: I have never been to Nashville, MidTenn1 talks about the "Party Vibe tourists like to come for the scene etc". How is Nashville different in this sense than New Orleans and Austin? I can see how it is different than other "Party/Event Cities" like Miami, San Diego, and Vegas for obvious reasons. Thanks guys.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:45 PM

Nashville will get a team very soon. You can bet on it. Real Estate Developers, Chefs, Entertainment Districts, Sports Entities have been bum rushing the place since the 10s and they haven't let up.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Side question: I have never been to Nashville, MidTenn1 talks about the "Party Vibe tourists like to come for the scene etc". How is Nashville different in this sense than New Orleans and Austin? I can see how it is different than other "Party/Event Cities" like Miami, San Diego, and Vegas for obvious reasons. Thanks guys.
What do you mean by "for obvious reasons"?

So you can see how it is different from Miami, San Diego, and Las Vegas. But you can't see how it is different from New Orleans and Austin. Why is that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations