HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 8:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm actually rather liking it. I agree that the "spires" are a bit weak and would be better to beef them up or eliminate them, but it's a small quibble.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 1:14 AM
gettin' rich!

If the spires were like the hancock centre, that would be choice.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 3:38 PM

Maestria: Work Starts on Montréal's Largest-Ever Residential Real Estate Development

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...874876683.html

MONTRÉAL, Sept. 26, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Devimco Immobilier, the Fonds immobilier de solidarité FTQ and Fiera Real Estate today broke ground for the largest mixed-used residential project ever built in Montréal. The first of the project's two towers, 57 and 61 storeys high with a total of 1,750 residential units, will rise on the site of the former Spectrum de Montréal, a legendary performance venue. Projected to cost more than $700 million, Maestria is located in the heart of the Quartier des Spectacles.

The project, announced in November 2018, has generated enormous interest, with 75% of the 438 condominium units in the first tower sold in just a few months. With strong demand from buyers for the first tower, the partners used the timing of the groundbreaking ceremony this morning to officially announce the launch of sales for the second tower, which is to comprise 611 condos and 340 rental units.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:54 PM

^ That part of downtown Montreal really needed a major development like this one. Are there any plans for the parking lot to the north of Place des Festivals? I believe this is the last bit of land that needs to be developed around it.

Last edited by le calmar; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:03 PM
Knowing, not winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ That part of downtown Montreal really needed a major development like this one. Are there any plans on the parking lot to the north of Place des Festivals? I believe this is the last bit of land that needs to be developed around it.
C'est à quelle intersection?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:12 PM
Urbaniste amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ That part of downtown Montreal really needed a major development like this one. Are there any plans on the parking lot to the north of Place des Festivals? I believe this is the last bit of land that needs to be developed around it.
There's a 35 storeys hotel (Hôtel Art de Vivre) currently under construction in the park right beside that parking lot and the park is being moved to the parking lot itself.

The park was a Domstar private place that they sold to another company.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:15 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's the small municipal parking lot at the corner of De Maisonneuve and Jeanne-Mance.

For a while the city had talked about moving the McCord museum there, but they opted for an expansion on their current site instead.

To my knowledge the city has not announced any new plans for the site.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:24 PM
Knowing, not winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
It's the small municipal parking lot at the corner of De Maisonneuve and Jeanne-Mance.

For a while the city had talked about moving the McCord museum there, but they opted for an expansion on their current site instead.

To my knowledge the city has not announced any new plans for the site.
OK it's not Ste-Catherine / Bleury?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ici pour être exact, à côté de l'ancienne Place Domtar. Mais selon les autres réponses rien n'est prévu pour l'instant.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5076.../data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: Ok it seems like part of the parking lot will be converted into a park.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:45 PM

I'm actually surprised it took a few month to sell 75% of one tower. I can't wait until these are u/c.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:02 PM

can someone please point out where these towers will be in a skyline shot of Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
can someone please point out where these towers will be in a skyline shot of Montreal.
just beside Complexe Desjardins.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:55 PM

Residential towers on former Spectrum site now set to rise even higher

https://montrealgazette.com/business...se-even-higher

FRÉDÉRIC TOMESCO

Updated: September 26, 2019

Montreal’s biggest ever mixed-use residential project just keeps getting taller.

Maestria, the sleek real-estate complex slated to rise on the site of the late, lamented Spectrum music club, will include two residential towers of 57 and 61 storeys respectively, developers said Thursday after a groundbreaking ceremony at the corner of Ste-Catherine and Bleury Sts. That’s even more ambitious than the previous incarnation, which called for asymmetrical towers of 51 and 53 storeys when the project was unveiled in November.

Although Maestria now features 1,750 apartments and condos instead of 1,500, construction is still expected to cost the same — about $700 million. Developers expect the first residents to move there in 2022 or 2023.

Located in the heart of Montreal’s festival district, in proximity to Place des Arts, Maestria brings together three local players: developer Devimco Immobilier, Fiera Properties and Fonds de solidarité immobilier FTQ, the real-estate arm of Quebec’s largest labour union. Its signature characteristic will be an aerial passageway connecting both towers on the 26th and 27th floors.

At the behest of the city, Maestria’s developers went back to the drawing board in the past year to make the towers thinner. Each floor now features about 12,000 square feet of space, compared with about 15,000 initially.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Taller?!?!?!? It’s all fun and games until the streets are lined with dead children.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:27 AM
I am the law!

Another article confusing storeys and metres. I recall that they were maxed on the height limit. I would say that this is a lower ceiling height scenario.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:24 AM

Union Park was presented at Design Review Panel and they voted in favor of the project but there were alot of conditions that they presented. conditions were mostly related to the park, the podium and the design of the taller buildings. by the remarks of the panel its obvious we will see a complete redesign soon. for more details check out the link.
https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/09...n-review-panel

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Another article confusing storeys and metres. I recall that they were maxed on the height limit. I would say that this is a lower ceiling height scenario.
i remember someone posted in the Maestria condo thread in July about the floor increase. i think the new height is 202m and 188m.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:12 AM

Quote:
i remember someone posted in the Maestria condo thread in July about the floor increase. i think the new height is 202m and 188m.
Tower 2 went from 58 to 61 storeys, and from 198 to 202 meters, which is two meters above the max height limit (the city allowed it, for some reasons). So it did get a little bit taller, in floors and meters.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:00 PM
I am the law!

In that case, is Tower 2 on a 12 metre hill? I wonder why they wouldn't try to max out the height on that one?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:14 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Union Park was presented at Design Review Panel and they voted in favor of the project but there were alot of conditions that they presented. conditions were mostly related to the park, the podium and the design of the taller buildings. by the remarks of the panel its obvious we will see a complete redesign soon. for more details check out the link.
That's inferring the design review panel is more than advisory and their approval is needed to get the site rezoned. The Place to Grow Act blanket developers love to wrap themselves in has actually weight. I don't know if Oxford will respect the DRP conditions or not. Some of the recommendation are unfamiliar territory and could effect their bottom line. Anyways, I'm rambling. My point for posting was explained in the first sentence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada