HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

Urban...it didn't load. Is there another method you can try?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:38 PM

Loaded fine for me.
This building turned out very well.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Loaded fine for me.
This building turned out very well.
I like it a lot. I think even the forthcoming metal ribbon at the top will look fine. The glass climbs high enough on the crown. Does anyone know the projected delivery date on this one? Have they said?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Does anyone know if there will be a rooptop bar? My vote is that this is the 2nd place for our skyscraper nerds' meet-up for drinks after the new 4 seasons at CTC. LOL.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Does anyone know if there will be a rooptop bar? My vote is that this is the 2nd place for our skyscraper nerds' meet-up for drinks after the new 4 seasons at CTC. LOL.
I didn't think the bar was planned for the rooftop, but I hope I'm wrong and wish it was. The Ws have less rooftop bars than you would expect. The DC W hotel has a great one, but a lot of them where you might expect one don't have it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 11:27 AM

Stumbled across a link to Marriott's page in one of my groups:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...FCjOKnTHWwaaDs

Looks like the ETA for delivery on this is January 2020! The dining tab also depicts an in-hotel Italian restaurant called doce: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...-philadelphia/ Not sure if that had been announced yet, but I hadn't seen it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:03 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Stumbled across a link to Marriott's page in one of my groups:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...FCjOKnTHWwaaDs

Looks like the ETA for delivery on this is January 2020! The dining tab also depicts an in-hotel Italian restaurant called doce: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...-philadelphia/ Not sure if that had been announced yet, but I hadn't seen it.
The rich history, dynamic art galleries and eclectic music scene that define Center City are just steps away, including Independence Hall, Rittenhouse Square and The Trocadero Theatre [emphasis added].

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The rich history, dynamic art galleries and eclectic music scene that define Center City are just steps away, including Independence Hall, Rittenhouse Square and The Trocadero Theatre [emphasis added].
Yes, they will sadly need to eliminate the Troc reference... Independence Hall is a quick little stroll, but I'm not really sure I'd call it "steps away either.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Urban...it didn't load. Is there another method you can try?
Seems it works on desktop but not on mobile. Not sure why but not sure how I could fix it either. Oh well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Seems it works on desktop but not on mobile. Not sure why but not sure how I could fix it either. Oh well.
Yes, I was able to view it on my laptop later in the evening. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Wow, who wrote this? Regardless of its closure, the Troc hasn't really been relevant as a music venue since Bush 1. Hundreds of world class institutions within a 10 block radius and they choose the Troc....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Wow, who wrote this? Regardless of its closure, the Troc hasn't really been relevant as a music venue since Bush 1. Hundreds of world class institutions within a 10 block radius and they choose the Troc....
Very Strange. And what's with all the skulls?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:13 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes, they will sadly need to eliminate the Troc reference... Independence Hall is a quick little stroll, but I'm not really sure I'd call it "steps away either.
Ten years ago all the apartment and condo ads said "Just steps away from the Kimmel Center" for anything built within a mile of the Kimmel Center. I guess demographics have shifted since then.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 7:53 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
the Troc hasn't really been relevant as a music venue since Bush 1.
While I agree that it's ridiculous that they are marketing the Troc (seriously, who is staying at the W while in town for a Troc show?), saying it hasn't been relevant since 1992 is just a biiiiiiiit of a stretch. The Troc consistently got important punk/hardcore/metal/indie bands through the early/mid-2000s. Perhaps not relevant given your tastes, but your very minor and completely inoffensive comment bugged me haha

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
The Troc consistently got important punk/hardcore/metal/indie bands through the early/mid-2000s. Perhaps not relevant given your tastes, but your very minor and completely inoffensive comment bugged me haha
My band played our last show in 2012 at the Troc. Incredible building and history...not so great sound system by then. It was us and Tinariwen that night. They were a recently grammy winning "african blues" band from Mali that were then featured on Colbert the next night. A year later i sang there with MewithoutYou to a packed house. The place had plenty of life until maybe the last year or so. I gotta believe a new owner will step in and get that venue up and running again...at which point it will be a great stop for those staying at the W

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:35 PM
Fishtown & Country

Saturday, 3/30

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:35 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rai View Post
My band played our last show in 2012 at the Troc. Incredible building and history...not so great sound system by then. It was us and Tinariwen that night. They were a recently grammy winning "african blues" band from Mali that were then featured on Colbert the next night. A year later i sang there with MewithoutYou to a packed house. The place had plenty of life until maybe the last year or so. I gotta believe a new owner will step in and get that venue up and running again...at which point it will be a great stop for those staying at the W
I’m happy we finally came to the convergence of development and mewithoutyou. and i really hope that this venue can come back to life as well - hearing h2o sing “another philly troc show” would be a fun moment

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 3:58 AM

From the Rail by Deb Felmey, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:08 PM

April 3rd, 2019 - 17th and Pine

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 10:35 PM

While the top was designed to mimic the cliffs along the Schuylkill, I believe where the glass and metal clad that wraps around at the top looks like it's waves to mimic the Schuylkill River. This skyscraper is an awesome tribute to Philly
W/Element Hotel from Westville by Thomas Koloski, on Flickr
W/Element Hotel from Soupy Island by Thomas Koloski, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive