HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:53 AM

^^^^^ This is good and bad in many aspects.... The bad.... Hollywood will see a stump skyline on and near the couple of blocks surrounding Hollywood blvd... 6-7 story buildings like the ones already going up in the area... which isn't a bad thing for the area... But another thing that is going to suck is what I just mentioned... most likely what we will see going up around Capital Records is a 6-7 story "shit box" as some like to say on this forum. Which I don't think is a good thing for the immediate area parking lots of Capital Records which where the proposal was suppose to go.. it wouldn't kill to put two 20-30 story buildings there...... granted I was probably one of the lone ones who thought the proposals scale was a bit much for that area. another bad thing that will come of this is that EVERY FREAKING NIMBY IN LA COUNTY NOW KNOWS TO USE FAULTLINES TO GET THEIR WAY! but yet they are perfectly fine with putting their homes ontop of faults. But if this building would have been unsafe than it shouldn't be built.

Now for the good..... The developers, im hoping and praying... will decide to move the project to a different city center instead of canceling it completely as someone else has pointed out... I can see this going up on Wilshire, or even century city, the first design wouldn't fit in downtown but the second design would... and god knows I would love to see this project in downtown Long Beach its skyline hasn't grown in 10+ years. So many parking lots and empty areas downtown long beach, google maps shows my pain HAHA only time will tell what will happen

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
State law holds that new construction cannot be within 50 feet of a fault line, and anything within 500 feet requires stringent seismic testing. The Millennium Hollywood parcels are large enough that there is probably still buildable area, even if the fault line does run through the property. 6230 Yucca may not be so lucky. We won't know for sure until the developers dig trenches.

This isn't good news for the projects around Capitol Records, but their opponents are premature in declaring victory.
Yeah....people were giving up hope already but looking at the map... something can still be built on the site... and 50 feet away from the fault... that should be easily manageable... I don't think the project will be totally canceled but it will be down sized.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:08 AM

I had a job interview today 3520 Wilshire. The company said the owner is going to convert the building into condos.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I had a job interview today 3520 Wilshire. The company said the owner is going to convert the building into condos.
Convert or build? I looked up that address and it looks like a 2 story food court building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:44 AM

Whoops. 3550.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:39 AM

Well, the future residents of 3550 Wilshire will have some very nice views. Speaking of that part of Wilshire, The Line Hotel quietly soft opened this week according to LA Mag. Their blog post has a couple of pictures, mostly of the interior. They've apparently done some very nice stuff to their Wilshire Boulevard ground floor.

Photo credit: Elina Shatkin for LA Mag

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:19 PM

Interesting. Jamison Services owns 3550 Wilshire, along with half the other office buildings in Koreatown, but they're notorious for not maintaining their properties. Hopefully they'll do better as residential landlords. I believe they're also partnering with the Hankey Group to develop the Wilshire/Hobart parcel.

In other Koreatown news, this is proposed just north of Wilshire and Catalina. 75 hotel rooms, 7 apartments, 1,500 sq ft of retail, expected to break ground in 2015.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...tion.html#more

Last edited by blackcat23; Jan 9, 2014 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:36 PM

Well, I can't say that the rendering looks any good, but otherwise that seems like a very appropriate project for the location and neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:49 PM

Demolition has begun on the Petersen Building at the SE corner of Sunset and La Cienega. That is the last remaining structure that needs to be removed for that project to begin.

My neighbors are surely cheering the Hollywood fault line map as it potentially puts the kibosh on this project-

http://www.8150sunset.com/
https://www.facebook.com/stop8150

I for one am not very excited to hear that I'm a few hundred yards from a fault line but I'm not a Nimby with an agenda....

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Well, I can't say that the rendering looks any good, but otherwise that seems like a very appropriate project for the location and neighborhood.
yeah its fine, driveway and all. whats interesting is the starbucks in the rendering. you usually don't have businesses on the middle of the block on N/S side street in ktown as they are exlusively residential. LA's "linearity" always hurts the pedestrian experience ,

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
The renderings don't look great but Blackcat's blog makes it sound like it could have potential with plaster, stone, and corrugated metal.

Also, I'd like to call out Blackcat's newly coined phrase "Anti-Stucco Avengers". When I can I buy that t-shirt and/or cape?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:57 PM
BANNED

that proposal's design isn't exactly about sophistication or subtlety is it?

what developers in LA don't seem to get: if you're going to be bold, make sure as hell you know what you're doing. I just don't see crap like this going up in more highly respected cities. I think there's a reason behind that.

the tacky, nouveau riche, jersey shore side of LA rears its ugly head again. if stupid had a look, this would be it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:13 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
that proposal's design isn't exactly about sophistication or subtlety is it?

what developers in LA don't seem to get: if you're going to be bold, make sure as hell you know what you're doing. I just don't see crap like this going up in more highly respected cities. I think there's a reason behind that.

the tacky, nouveau riche, jersey shore side of LA rears its ugly head again. if stupid had a look, this would be it.
Yeah, it's ugly, but it's such a minor building that I can't really be bothered to be upset about it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:01 PM

I was on 9th floor of 3550. My view was looking straight Wilshire toward downtown. WOW.

She said the office leases were going to expire sometime this year.

I don't know if these office conversions to residential are a good thing though. Don't we need Wilshire Center to remain a employment center?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaeculaSaeculorum View Post
yeah its fine, driveway and all. whats interesting is the starbucks in the rendering. you usually don't have businesses on the middle of the block on N/S side street in ktown as they are exlusively residential. LA's "linearity" always hurts the pedestrian experience ,
Serrano has a couple of restaurants and cafes but I can't think of any others. I agree, it's kind of frustrating. At least 6th Street has a ton of commercial establishments.

8th does on the south.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:20 PM

If the Millennium Towers do not end up being able to be built on this lot, I would hope the city could find a way to purchase the properties and build a park on them. That part of Hollywood could really use some nice urban park space and that would be much better than leaving them as the ugly, momentum-killing parking lots that they are today.

I'm not that disappointed that the towers probably won't be built. However I am disappointed that the Hollywood NIMBYs and their misinformation campaign to get this development stopped will be somewhat-success (even if it came through dumb luck).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:09 PM

Interesting article about the terrible shape we're still in:

"Dramatic Doomsday Report Calls Los Angeles A City In Decline"

Quote:
A panel convened by City Council President Herb Wesson has just released a Cassandra-style report declaring Los Angeles A CITY IN DECLINE!!!!1!!1 (formatting and punctuation ours): "strangled by traffic, weighed down by poverty and suffering from 'a crisis of leadership and direction,'" according to the LA Times. Uh, did they not hear what GQ just said about Downtown? The report will be released today, but the LAT shares some lowlights in an article that ends with five paragraphs detailing conflicts of interest. The 13-member Los Angeles 2020 Commission formed last year to tackle job creation and economic expansion, but it addresses so much more in its report, which is, no joke, called "A Time For Truth" (tone it down, dudes): It says the LAUSD is "failing our children and betraying the hopes of their hardworking parents'"; that the Measure R transpo tax hike wouldn't fix traffic; that the LAPD's 10,000-officer benchmark is "not real" because of the way officers are actually deployed; that LA was too slow in approving USC's development plans; that the city is "dramatically underinvesting" in the harbor, LAX, and the LADWP; and that the LA basin has become a walled prison island populated only with criminals, perverts, and moral reprobates. "The city where the future once came to happen has been living in the past and leaving tomorrow to sort itself out," the report warns.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...in_decline.php

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:12 PM

What exactly does that have to do with development in Los Angeles? Just seems like bait to start a flame war on this thread (you've already done a find job of that on the DTLA board). I believe there is a thread in the city discussions dedicated to this report.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchitup View Post
What exactly does that have to do with development in Los Angeles? Just seems like bait to start a flame war on this thread (you've already done a find job of that on the DTLA board). I believe there is a thread in the city discussions dedicated to this report.
It has everything to do with the development of Los Angeles... Did you read it?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
It has everything to do with the development of Los Angeles... Did you read it?
Yes I read it and to me it seems to largely deal with economic / social issues. And I don't disagree with a lot of it, Los Angeles needs to step up to the plate in this regard. Much of the criticism is warranted - but someone said on the other thread that this was a commission looking for issues, and they found them.

I just feel like it is an unnecessary detour and probably won't bring up much useful conversation. Sorry, normally just a lurker but back to the shadows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations