HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:12 PM

[Waterdown] New combined police and fire station approved

New combined police and fire station approved for Flamborough

By MacChristie Flamborough Review Fri., June 12, 2020

he Hamilton police services board approved a proposal for a new joint police and fire station in Waterdown at its June 11 meeting.

The proposal will see Hamilton police contribute an estimated $8 million from the city’s police development charges reserve to the new Police Station 40 in the 2021 capital budget.

In March, the city approved an $8-million expenditure to build a second Waterdown fire station and purchase two new fire trucks in the city’s 2020 capital budget.

Ward 15 Coun. Judi Partridge said in an interview she has been working on a new police station for Waterdown since she was first elected in 2010.

“I was absolutely delighted when the staff at police headquarters called me and said, ‘We’re going to have this conversation and it makes some sense to look at a combined station,’ ” she said. “I’m just absolutely delighted — the community has been asking for this for so long — the improved police presence and just being able to have a location here.”

Chief Eric Girt told the board that former police chief Glenn DeCaire had put a placeholder in upcoming budget discussions for a new station with a $25-million price tag — but said by collaborating with Hamilton Fire, they were able to substantially reduce costs.

“This is in fact an $8-million investment — so a substantial reduction,” he said.

He said the ability to share in land acquisition, HVAC and facilities within the building reduces costs — much like what was done at the Multi Agency Training Academy on Stone Church Road.

Meanwhile, Hamilton police chief administrative officer Anna Filice told the police services board that in the past few months the police have been working closely with Hamilton Fire about the potential for a joint building in Waterdown.

“It won’t be a full police station — it will be about 9,000 square feet — but we will be able to deploy resources from there and it will be during business hours that the community can stop in,” she said.

Girt said the new station is necessary due to population growth in Flamborough and Elfrida.

“Station 3 was originally placed near Elfrida because of the growth then,” he said. “Currently both Elfrida and Flamborough continue to expand — particularly Waterdown — and we have heard from Councillor Partridge many times about this.

“This is to look after that, at almost a third of the cost, in a timely manner … we just thought it was a tremendous opportunity to really reduce costs.”

Partridge said the conversation about improved fire service for the community started five or six years ago and the idea of a combined facility was floated at that time.

While nothing is set in stone, she said the property that is being considered for the combined station would be located on the Waterdown east-west bypass route, to the east of Centre Road behind Alexander Place.

“There are, I think, two or three locations, but that’s the one we keep going back to,” she said, noting the site is well situated to access the new developments in the northeast and northwest areas of Waterdown.

While land negotiations for that section of the bypass are ongoing, Partridge said the property for the combined station would be part of the bypass lands that will be acquired by the city.

“That section is going to be out for tender in November and the tender will close in four to six weeks,” she said, noting preliminary work will take place in 2021. “My understanding is the build (of the combined station) would happen in 2022.”

However, she cautioned that it is a construction project so timelines could change.

“I really hope that the community is excited about this,” she said. “It is something that the community has been asking for for a long time.

“The rationale is there, the justification is there for the station to be built in Waterdown in the east location.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs