HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 4:31 AM
International

I was there last night, as I had to pick up a friend at La Brea and Fountain. Words cannot describe how happy I was to see both of those buildings closed off and under demo. Both projects will go a LONG way in improving the sleazy vibe and element along that corridor.

Last edited by Kingofthehill; Jan 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM. Reason: greater clarity

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:54 AM
BANNED

del

Last edited by all of the trash; Jan 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:52 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
tranny-infested corridor.
Is there something wrong with trannies?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
La Brea has really become clogged with construction related trucks off and on from Centinela to Sunset. It looks like a number of projects are getting going.

Hollywood and Vine could become real messes too with 6200 and Capitol Records under construction for 3 to 6 years.

Some mores reasons to take the Red Line.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:04 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
Wow.
Quote:
No, not at all. In that context, I am using it to refer to the widespread and well-known prostitution and generally sleazy element prevalent in that area. My apologies if it seemed insensitive, or, worse, derogatory. I have since edited it to reflect that position.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
La Brea has really become clogged with construction related trucks off and on from Centinela to Sunset. It looks like a number of projects are getting going.

Hollywood and Vine could become real messes too with 6200 and Capitol Records under construction for 3 to 6 years.

Some mores reasons to take the Red Line.
I always wondered why the 'pink line' was never a priority. In fact I don't believe it's even in the long range plan.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:18 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I always wondered why the 'pink line' was never a priority. In fact I don't believe it's even in the long range plan.
Speaking of density where the Pink Line would go through....

I was over in the Mid City area today. I got pictures of the new Ceder Sainai and 8500 Burton Way.

First, a rendering of the new Ceder Sainai building. Note that there is either retail or an entrance along the bottom floor, so it does interact with the pedestrian. Oh, and I made the images a little bit smaller, so they don't hog up too much space on the forum.

And... 8500 Burton Way.

It's weird how these two fairly large profile projects have flown so low under the radar.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:34 AM
Ascension

Plus, they are blocks away from each other.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:58 AM
International

I think, in general, civic and educational construction tends to fly under the radar. By contrast, residential and commercial are what really get us here on SSP going.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 1:20 PM

Quote:
The proposed "connection structure" near the proposed La Cienega station was removed from the Purple Line studies (early last year I think).

This probably means West Hollywood will likely still get rail, but in the form of a Crenshaw Line extension north of Wilshire via San Vincente, SaMo Blvd, and Highland.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Under Construction:

- Some huge building for a cancer research company in Santa Monica. It's massive. (three stories, but probobly 25 foot floor heights)
Company name is Agensys and the architect is HLW-

http://www.hlw.com/agensys/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:13 AM

so where the Jons once was there is a 5 story apt complex correct? and what about on la Brea and SMB where the Carl's jr once was? and rendering on both projects?

now I have to find another place from my famous star on drunken nights hahaha

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 12:05 AM

I noticed the project in Koreatown at Wilshire and Vermont is underway. Any renderings?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 1:14 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I noticed the project in Koreatown at Wilshire and Vermont is underway. Any renderings?
Wait what? Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

This is happening? Now? With no fanfare, it is just... starting? Cool!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:28 AM
Ascension

I won't believe that at all until I see proof.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:42 AM
BANNED

wow i dont believe i ever seen a rendering for that lot. horrible. this podium shit needs to stop. the towers seem kinda cool but so severed and distant from the street. add the setback and there's just some kind of suburban vibe to it. and of course Vermont seems to be neglected again. i always seen much more potential to that intersection, but we'll see. hopefully the shell station cater-corner to it will go too

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:43 AM
BANNED

btw i take the wilshire/vermont subway every morning to work and not noticed anything different or any activity on that corner lately but i'll look again

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:12 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
wow i dont believe i ever seen a rendering for that lot. horrible. this podium shit needs to stop. the towers seem kinda cool but so severed and distant from the street. add the setback and there's just some kind of suburban vibe to it. and of course Vermont seems to be neglected again. i always seen much more potential to that intersection, but we'll see. hopefully the shell station cater-corner to it will go too
Don't worry. It's an old rendering. The developer last said he was redesigning it to make it more friendly to Vermont, and make the Wilshire side less suburban.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Agreed. When these renderings first came out a few months back, the consensus here was the same: too suburban, not engaging for pedestrians, completely auto-oriented, and a massive dead zone on Vermont. Like Illithid said though, they are apparently making some improvements. Hopefully they look to Vermont station across the street for some ideas.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Agreed. When these renderings first came out a few months back, the consensus here was the same: too suburban, not engaging for pedestrians, completely auto-oriented, and a massive dead zone on Vermont. Like Illithid said though, they are apparently making some improvements. Hopefully they look to Vermont station across the street for some ideas.
Agree that it needs work. But something in the nature of a plaza wouldn't be a bad idea at this intersection, which is quite dense with cars and people. The bus-stops can be quite crowded and some place to sit and have a drink would be nice.

Wilshire in general has set-backs and plazas which is much more pleasant than building to the street and leaves room for outdoor dining, etc. If this trend could be pushed onto Vermont, it could be a huge plus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations