HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 2:04 PM

So does this mean then that the Villas at Tempe Town Lake is dead? ASU was planning a "partnership" with that development and now it sounds like this is the same concept just on campus. I doubt Tempe could support the feasibility both developments...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
It's Papago
Article re: SAP moving into Grand at Papago and groundbreaking:

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...50k-sf-offices

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:47 AM
Modulator

Tempe Town Lake

First look of the new hydraulic damn holding back water...and no rubber damn!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:32 PM

Sign is up and the fence is down on the AC Marriott.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 6:50 PM
Modulator

^^^
I walked by the AC Marriott last night and I was pretty bummed that all the utility boxes were placed between the hotel and Rio Salado. This cuts out the possibility of any retail of ever being added in front of AC Marriott (they have the room) and creates an eyesore. Why wasn't the utility boxes placed on a more auspicious location...like behind the East wall?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:15 PM

Hayden Ferry now complete and beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
^^^
I walked by the AC Marriott last night and I was pretty bummed that all the utility boxes were placed between the hotel and Rio Salado. This cuts out the possibility of any retail of ever being added in front of AC Marriott (they have the room) and creates an eyesore. Why wasn't the utility boxes placed on a more auspicious location...like behind the East wall?
Why do you need retail in a upscale business hotel? Also they are not landscaping etc. yet. Can we let this play out first before we start complaining about electrical boxes? I would like to add that the The Hayden Ferry Project looks like it is now complete and is a fantastic looking project. One of few multi building projects that is actually proposed and then followed through to buildout. First class job and unique architecture. A job well done. Office, condo's, hotel and solid looking parking garage. What could someone possibly complain about?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Why do you need retail in a upscale business hotel? Also they are not landscaping etc. yet. Can we let this play out first before we start complaining about electrical boxes? I would like to add that the The Hayden Ferry Project looks like it is now complete and is a fantastic looking project. One of few multi building projects that is actually proposed and then followed through to buildout. First class job and unique architecture. A job well done. Office, condo's, hotel and solid looking parking garage. What could someone possibly complain about?
You're taking my post way out of context. I never complained about anything about the hotel, State Farm, Hayden Ferry...anything except some electricle boxes that stick out like a sore thumb. From what I can see, the landscaping in front of the AC Marriott is pretty much done. I don't see them putting a wall or something to cover them up and I thought it just would have been nice to find a better spot to hide them from a pedestrian point of view.

When I said "retail", I'm just suggesting to maybe a nice cafe or coffe shop, not a Nike outlet. I have never made any complaints since joining the Phoenix forums about lack of retail or anything negative about the developments. I make one observation which during my walk from Rural to Mill just stuck out a bit odd to me and you slam my opinion.

Sorry. It was a very bland walk outside of an architectural standpoint and I just felt there could be a nice eatery along Rio Salado in there somewhere.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Apr 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:52 PM

Ronnie...just have a picnic next to the electrical boxes. Rio Salado activated! Problem solved LOL

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
You're taking my post way out of context. I never complained about anything about the hotel, State Farm, Hayden Ferry...anything except some electricle boxes that stick out like a sore thumb. From what I can see, the landscaping in front of the AC Marriott is pretty much done. I don't see them putting a wall or something to cover them up and I thought it just would have been nice to find a better spot to hide them from a pedestrian point of view.

When I said "retail", I'm just suggesting to maybe a nice restaurant or coffe shop. Not a Nike outlet. I have never made any complaints since joining the Phoenix forums about lack of retail or anything negative about the developments. I make one observation which during my walk from Rural to Mill just stuck out a bit odd to me and you slam my post.

Sorry. It was a very bland walk outside of an architectural standpoint and I just feel there could be an eatery along the walk in there somewhere.
I've noticed that the powers that be in Tempe, for better or worse, tend not to consider Rio Salado a pedestrian street. None of the developments, either East or west of Mill, really have activity right on the street.

Should be better, however when the Matt's and Starbucks open in Marina Heights, and if/when the last piece of Hayden Ferry (West of the parking garage, which I believe was originally slated for restaurant space) is built out.

Overall, I'm with you, not really complaining, because it is a great project, but it would have been interesting, for instance, if the retail at Hayden Ferry would have faced Rio Salado, instead of facing inward on the back side of the garage.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Ronnie...just have a picnic next to the electrical boxes. Rio Salado activated! Problem solved LOL
They're about the right height to be makeshift picnic tables!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Sign is up and the fence is down on the AC Marriott.

I certainly hope Tucson's AC doesn't end up looking as bland as this one.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I've noticed that the powers that be in Tempe, for better or worse, tend not to consider Rio Salado a pedestrian street. None of the developments, either East or west of Mill, really have activity right on the street.

Should be better, however when the Matt's and Starbucks open in Marina Heights, and if/when the last piece of Hayden Ferry (West of the parking garage, which I believe was originally slated for restaurant space) is built out.

Overall, I'm with you, not really complaining, because it is a great project, but it would have been interesting, for instance, if the retail at Hayden Ferry would have faced Rio Salado, instead of facing inward on the back side of the garage.
Surprisingly Marina heights does have its main Lobby and Entrance off Rio but its not a very inviting street in general, wide, isolated, and nothing but parking lots and stadiums for a long way.

However the internal Marina heights road is nicely pedestrian especially once the restaurants and gym are filled and it connects with the Lake Promenade, the entire lakefront will be quite walk able and pedestrian oriented, think of Rio as the back accesses.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
It is bland but it fits well in the ultra modern lakefront developments. It is a business center with a handful of upscale condos. It does not need to stand out.

the walk able area is just a block or two away along mill.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:26 PM
BANNED

I kind of like it too, actually.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:56 PM

Most of Downtown Tucson's (recent) housing product is much more bland than this hotel....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
It looks great in person, especially the panels on the left that are shaded in the picture. I haven't seen the electrical boxes you guys were talking about... It looks exactly like the rendering:

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/...D-AC-Tempe.jpg

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:09 PM

Had some time to kill this morning before going to work,

Just took a drive around Tempe. When you really take a look at ALL that has been going on (not just in Tempe but all over the valley) the amount of development is really astonishing. All through the neighborhood between Hardy and Farmer there are tons of smaller townhome and apartment developments as well as several lots and older homes that appear to have zoning hearings upcoming or work going on.

Where are all these people coming from?? We don't have enough jobs and population to justify all this development do we?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:30 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Had some time to kill this morning before going to work,

Just took a drive around Tempe. When you really take a look at ALL that has been going on (not just in Tempe but all over the valley) the amount of development is really astonishing. All through the neighborhood between Hardy and Farmer there are tons of smaller townhome and apartment developments as well as several lots and older homes that appear to have zoning hearings upcoming or work going on.

Where are all these people coming from?? We don't have enough jobs and population to justify all this development do we?
With my job, I get to see all these little developments EVERYWHERE around the valley. It's crazy, isn't it???

As for as the population Maricopa County added like 88,000 residents in 2015. I think the urban part of the metro is getting like 65% of that growth or about roughly 57,000 if I remember correctly. As far as I know, the growth is remaining steady so far this year. Population forcasts are saying Phoenix will continue this growth rate with nearly a 0% chance of a recession in the near-term future.

I think this would be enough to fill all these units getting built?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
With my job, I get to see all these little developments EVERYWHERE around the valley. It's crazy, isn't it???

As for as the population Maricopa County added like 88,000 residents in 2015. I think the urban part of the metro is getting like 65% of that growth or about roughly 57,000 if I remember correctly. As far as I know, the growth is remaining steady so far this year. Population forcasts are saying Phoenix will continue this growth rate with nearly a 0% chance of a recession in the near-term future.

I think this would be enough to fill all these units getting built?
No Idea, I'm 26 and several of my peers have started to have children... ON PURPOSE (oh the horror) if that isn't a sign of good economics IDK what is!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest