HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
New zoning signs up for "The Standard" on some of the blighted land on 7th St., just east of Mill, here:

The current owner of the land is "Tempe 7th St. LLC," the principle member of which appears to be a hedge fund. Unclear who the developer is.

Here is the zoning sign:

Details include:
  • 335 dwelling units on .85 acres (density of 394 du/ac !!)
  • 560 parking spots
  • 362 bicycle spaces
  • 295' tall
  • 3,460 sq. ft. of retail

This is reading the tea leaves a little bit, but my hope is that the parking, while a lot, would indicate that it's not student housing.

Sign also says that the proposal already fits within the 2040 plan for use and density and conforms with the zoning code, so hopefully the regulatory process for this one should be quick. Neighborhood meeting is March 23, 2016 at 5:30 at Shady Park.

All in all...
AWESOME! I think this is that Canadian developer that said they were "investigating potential high-rise" on that land. I just really hope we see some of these start to break ground. I feel a little better about this and some of the housing since State Farm is moving in (than I do about some of the offices proposed).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 8:59 PM

Obadno - I am from New Jersey, and can count at least 10 "downtowns" that have more variety than Mill. None of them have the lake, but that's turned out to be so secluded even though it's great. Mill Ave with the Mosaic on Ash, Lumina by SDS, etc. would've been amazing. And, actually, I think Downtown Mesa is already more diversified and interesting with room to expand north and south... with ASU coming, it could turn out pretty nice. But, Gilbert? No way. And, Chandler should've made a push or at least some of their major players to locate downtown. It doesn't matter, really, I hope they all turn out to be awesome urban places. I just wanted Tempe to be more in line with an Austin or Portland at some point.

PHX31 - Unfortunately, the lot fronting Mill and north of Jack in the Box is owned separately and is listed along with the remaining land east of this proposed project. At one point, these were assembled for M7, which was a stunning project - 2 condo and 1 hotel tower with tons of retail and all underground parking. It went into foreclosure and that's how the parcels became split. The owner of the other parcels was trying to pursue a joint venture with this middle owner, but it obviously didn't work out, which I think really sucks. I don't see this developer wouldn't have bought at least the parcel along Mill to 1) eliminate the chance of a tower blocking views one day, 2) have Mill ave frontage, and 3) be able to offer more than ~3,500 square feet of retail in such a prime location. It seems short-sighted, and even the original project had a small midrise-ish portion along that area before transitioning into the towers:
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/joel...9/7m5.jpg.html

The Jack in the Box owner was unwilling to sell during the boom because drive-thrus are now prohibited, so I doubt he is any more likely now with more reasonable pricing. And, the lots on their own are too small for anything substantial. It'd be cool if they acquired the remaining block and created a U-shaped project around this proposed tower. Or, at least an L - maybe partnering with the Salvation army for some of its land and creating a midrise mixed use affordable housing project? Regardless, the empty parcel, Jack in the Box, Pita Jungle, and Tempe Center "tower" are all a rather crappy gateway.

Happy to see 295' and 335 of likely market rate apartments on Mill. Hoping the density (esp. if 7S is built) could maybe lead to a turnaround at that intersection? Nothing wrong with an ASU Museum or Zipp's, but I would much rather see a Trader Joe's or H&M. 335 units and 295' seems to indicate above-ground parking, right? That's unfortunate. So many boom day projects were going underground, and now it seems nonexistent. I just like the aesthetic so much better without hulking podiums.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
AWESOME! I think this is that Canadian developer that said they were "investigating potential high-rise" on that land. I just really hope we see some of these start to break ground. I feel a little better about this and some of the housing since State Farm is moving in (than I do about some of the offices proposed).
Yep - that's them. They seem to have a good portfolio, and design 425 Mill, which is a great building. Looks like a winner. No details on 7th Street yet, though: http://wexforddevelopments.com/locat...pe-7th-street/

I agree about housing and am actually surprised at how little has been proposed compared to Downtown Phoenix or even compared to the student housing projects. But, if this, 7S, and Farmer Arts get built, those are three 13+ story towers of market rate units which would make me happy. Of course, I'd like to also see Mill + Rio get built since a boutique hotel and more employers can only mean good things. But, with the Zenefits scandal, smaller suburban projects in the works, and the whoring out of the Warehouse District, it may be a tough sell. With all of the proposals over the years, there is still not one upscale/boutique hotel ON Mill. AC Marriott is close, but there was supposed to be a Kimpton and an Omni damn it.

I'm happy it's been silent on the Ash+Uni front... if that ends up being developed as shown on the developer's site (6-stories), that will really suck as the garage next door gets extended higher. I hope whatever goes there is 13+ and has more than just a grocer on the bottom.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 10:15 PM

Gilbert is definitely an urban center...there are more people downtown on a given Tuesday night than most of Downtown Phoenix's core streets after 7pm. I know I live and work in both but I digress...

I thought the developers of The Standard for some reason owned the whole block? I thought it was remnants of that major redevelopment that was proposed during the boom that at least took the entire north block. Then it will be interesting to see what potentially could be developed on that loan block on the corner. Jack in the Box has no desire to sell even for a redevelopment as we've seen in Downtown Chandler.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Gilbert is definitely an urban center...there are more people downtown on a given Tuesday night than most of Downtown Phoenix's core streets after 7pm. I know I live and work in both but I digress...

I thought the developers of The Standard for some reason owned the whole block? I thought it was remnants of that major redevelopment that was proposed during the boom that at least took the entire north block. Then it will be interesting to see what potentially could be developed on that loan block on the corner. Jack in the Box has no desire to sell even for a redevelopment as we've seen in Downtown Chandler.
They will some day, someone will offer a price they just cant pass up, but that will probably be many more years from now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post

An urban center to me is more than just a busy nightlife. If you can't live there, can't find a professional job there, can't buy necessities like food, clothing, home goods, etc., it's not an urban center, it's a destination that people drive to and then leave. No different than a mall. It may have urban design elements, i.e. no setbacks and so on. And, that's great that what's there is so busy, because that means maybe one day there will be demand for the rest. I'm not arguing with you or trying to degrade Gilbert in any way. I might have a crazy definition, and I'm not saying it is right by any means.

7th Street
The M7 project took up the land north of the Jack in the Box from Mill - 7th. When it went under, the parcels were sold, and one developer got the middle chunk (Wexford) and another got the exterior lots. In requesting a time extension, the owner of the exterior lots mentioned he was trying hard to work out a joint venture, so it's disappointing that Wexford was unwilling. I can't see how having Mill Ave frontage wouldn't make a pretty big impact on the project, and it means those lots will stay empty for quite some time, don't you think?

According to someone working on the Farmer Arts project,
1) The 13-story residential building is likely to be denied at the upcoming meeting as a vocal minority opposes its height and lack of parking. This is a project on the streetcar line in a city that paid for a study that showed a parking surplus... this should not be an issue. If anyone is able to go support it, they should. It's the only high quality tower geared toward professionals and at some point, the city needs to go up.
2) The City has been telling them to expect a proposal any week now for the Mosaic lot; this person was under the impression that the 6-story building we've seen renderings of was denied and that the new project is supposed to be more along the lines of Mosaic. Take that with a grain of salt... I believe that a project with Whole Foods is going to be proposed, but I think everyone has assumed it will be a tower and it won't be, which would be ridiculous when the garage next door is up to, what, 8 stories?
3) SRP is fighting hard against the railway path, which is why The Yard has yet to do their part. I think that path is a great feature and the kind of touch that shows a developer/architect is taking their site into consideration. If it gets killed, that sucks.
4) Developers wanted to replace the library (which the city pulled due to budget) with an incubator type of space but the city didn't want that either. So, now, they are thinking of turning one of the offices' floors into a makerspace, which would be a good addition to the area IMO.
5) The City wanted the projects flipped - residential on 5th and office on University. What do you guys think? I think that anything over 8-10 stories on 5th would've been out of scale, and if the Mosaic lot is developed, that'll be a dense cluster with W6 in there, too, which would help support the grocer. The office building is also fairly small and surrounded by live/work and office anyway, so I think it's fine as is.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:37 PM

Another large mixed-use development being planned for the former Club Rio/Hayden Harbor lot on the north shore of lake.

http://brewaz.com/hot-news/l-a-based...mpe-town-lake/

Quote:
The 14.828-acre tract, being planned for office, residential, retail and hotel uses, is located along the west side of Scottsdale Road and is just south of the 202 Freeway. Sources say Manjula Vaz of the Phoenix lawfirm Gammage & Burnham is assisting with the zoning and is expected to file plans in Tempe by the end of March.

Nelsen Partnership in Scottsdale is working on the site plan, which is expected to call for 600,000 sq. ft. of office space in two buildings, each of 10 to 12 stories; 300 to 325 multi-family units, a boutique hotel with 150 to 200 rooms and an unknown amount of commercial space that likely will bei ncorporated into a planned parking garage. In all, there will be roughly 1.2 million sq. ft. of buildings. The two-phased project could also include more offices, multi-family, commercial and a second hotel in phase two.

No word coming from Norouzi or marketing representatives for the planned development, which is being called North Lake. Sources say Norouzi has a deal in the works to sell the multi-family site to P.B. Bell Cos. in Scottsdale. No further details on that sale...

A spec office building of around 300,000 sq. ft. could be underway by year-end.

Last edited by muertecaza; Mar 11, 2016 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 7:16 PM

Wow, this is the site where old renderings were just posted and I ranted about something like that never being built.

So, why can't Rio+Mill fill its ~8 floors of office space when something like this beast is feeling confident?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Another large mixed-use development being planned for the form Club Rio/Hayden Harbor lot on the north shore of lake.

http://brewaz.com/hot-news/l-a-based...mpe-town-lake/
I cant believe that the self-storage facility and audio express aren't selling, (even the hotel too)

Clearly that land is better used than self-storage and car audio center.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 8:03 PM

March 9 aerials of Engineering Residence Hall (Suntec Concrete)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 7:03 PM

Well, looks like residents won't get to keep their precious views of industrial blight on 1st Street for much longer after they killed Crescent. It's been scooped up aready by a new developer. I still don't "get" why 1st Street is a commercial block on one side, but that momentum already started and so I hope Alliance, this project, and the brewery all pull through and transform the entire space between Hardy and Farmer.

Won't start until 2017 - hope it makes it before the pop.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...empe-town-lake

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:40 PM

Cornish Pasty Co., Mill location takes over a 1,000-square-foot space that previously housed Boston vs. New York Pizza, Paisan’s Pizza & Italian Kitchen, and Famous Potato, among others. It has a full bar, but only a limited menu that will change weekly.

Hours are 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Wednesday and 11 a.m.-2:30 a.m. Thursday-Saturday. (Mouth by Southwest)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Cornish Pasty Co., Mill location takes over a 1,000-square-foot space that previously housed Boston vs. New York Pizza, Paisan’s Pizza & Italian Kitchen, and Famous Potato, among others. It has a full bar, but only a limited menu that will change weekly.

Hours are 11 a.m.-midnight Sunday-Wednesday and 11 a.m.-2:30 a.m. Thursday-Saturday. (Mouth by Southwest)
I'm guessing this is the NEC of Mill and 5th? Where Dunkin Donuts used to be? Those other places were around for such a short time I barley noticed them

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post

I was curious whether this location would be co-existing with the original Hardy/University location and this article (http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...empe/81770184/) indicates that it will. Apparently this location will be a sort of satellite with a more limited menu but some exclusive specials.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I was curious whether this location would be co-existing with the original Hardy/University location and this article (http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...empe/81770184/) indicates that it will. Apparently this location will be a sort of satellite with a more limited menu but some exclusive specials.
If you're familiar with the space they moved into on Mill, it is VERY small. It's almost like a counter/stand, so I could see them co-existing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
If you're familiar with the space they moved into on Mill, it is VERY small. It's almost like a counter/stand, so I could see them co-existing.
It wasn't so long ago that the original Cornish was basically a counter. So I think the new location will work great!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 9:27 PM

The Grand at Papago's DRC packet:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=39685

No renders unfortunately, but it's not one of the big ones. It's a 4-story, 200,000 sq/ft office building fronting Washington, with a 6-story parking garage.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 10:07 PM

Tempe Proposal Gets Public Hearing This Week

Via azcentral.com:

Another hearing is scheduled on plans for a 13-story apartment building at the northeast corner of Farmer Avenue and University Drive and another proposal to build a five-story office building farther to the north along Farmer at Fifth Street.

Both vacant parcels are owned by the city and part of the Farmer Arts District designated by the city in 2007 for ongoing redevelopment in partnership with private enterprises. Tempe-based Urban Development Partners is proposing both projects. Parkway Properties also is a partner in the office project.

At an initial hearing on the proposal in late February, Mayor Mark Mitchell and Council members Lauren Kuby and Robin Arredondo-Savage raised concerns about the apartment project's density. Plans include 281 apartments, which exceeds what is allowed under the city's current General Plan. The proposal seeks an exception to that plan.

Several other council members suggested the density was appropriate. Vice Mayor Corey Woods, along with Council members Joel Navarro and David Shapira said the project was in keeping with Tempe's vision for a "transition'' area between Tempe's urban core and residential areas to the west of downtown.

Thursday's meeting will be held at Tempe City Council Chambers, 31 E. Fifth St.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
The Grand at Papago's DRC packet:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=39685

No renders unfortunately, but it's not one of the big ones. It's a 4-story, 200,000 sq/ft office building fronting Washington, with a 6-story parking garage.
Updated packet with the renderings:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=39695

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:08 AM

Quote:

(Urban Realty)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest