HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
Looks like it was proposed in 2011, for the lot on the North Shore of the lake on the West side of Rural.

DRC: http://ww2.tempe.gov/publicbodies/Do...125Minutes.pdf

City Council: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/m...octype=SUMMARY

Per City Council document, developer had until February of last year to apply for a building permit, so I'm assuming this is dead, unless they got an extension. Also looks like they got a zoning amendment over the protest of the Audio Express that is right there, so not sure if that factored in at all.

There are more detailed renderings here: http://www.wrtdesign.com/projects/de...evelopment/166. And what appears to be an older rendering here: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/loc...cc4c03286.html.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:04 PM

Regardless of Over Easy's viability, it sucks to lose what was a unique set of small local businesses that together formed a destination. The Yard already contains an abundance of private dining space and the project itself doesn't face the street at all; I love it and its initial roster, but wish a better fit would have been secured for the space.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:38 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Regardless of Over Easy's viability, it sucks to lose what was a unique set of small local businesses that together formed a destination. The Yard already contains an abundance of private dining space and the project itself doesn't face the street at all; I love it and its initial roster, but wish a better fit would have been secured for the space.
The circumstances are not terribly different at the Yard on 7th Street in Phoenix. The Fox restaurants that dominate the complex have endured, but non-Fox tenants have come and gone. Neither Yard does a great job of addressing the street, but neither is located in a area with high walk appeal. In Tempe, it's an awkward, out-of-the-way walk from Mill Avenue and the light rail station over to Farmer, despite the short distance involved. In Phoenix, the high speeds and reverse lanes make 7th Street unattractive. Given those circumstances, I can understand why both Yards were built as they were, even if I'm not thrilled with the results.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:55 PM

None of the links posted above seem to work for me

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 4:43 AM

Re: Hayden Harbor, apparently they did get an extension on their entitlements last year until May 21, 2016, so I guess it could still conceivably happen, but seems doubtful. Apparently the litigation with Audio Express lasted until 2014, which would explain at least most of the delay. Interesting discussion from the city council minutes approving the extension. Apparently if they let the zoning revert, it would revert to industrial with an option for a strip club, so allowing the zoning to be extended was in part done to avoid that possibility, haha.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/m...octype=MINUTES

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:23 AM

This proposal has been around for years and will never come to fruition. Just as all of the planned "cities within the city" planned along TTL eventually failed and development turned to individual parcels one-by-one. HFL got the closest but that was during the boom, and yes - Marina Heights executed its vision, but the likelihood of another company choosing TTL for regional operations is close to 0.

Look at this lot's neighbors... a 5-story residential project, and Playa del Norte, with projects no greater than 6 stories. I think a condo project here would be great, though, if residents come to embrace the lake in their lifestyle. With a Boathouse planned for the Marina, and Vela with its retail and office space fronting the Marina and intended for lake-related business, there's a unique little sub-culture of sorts evolving over there.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
The Lodge is great. The food is solid and it's a cool atmosphere.

Over Easy's closure was not due to location; the food was consistently underwhelming.
Sweet! Thanks! I've been meaning to check it out!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
This proposal has been around for years and will never come to fruition. Just as all of the planned "cities within the city" planned along TTL eventually failed and development turned to individual parcels one-by-one. HFL got the closest but that was during the boom, and yes - Marina Heights executed its vision, but the likelihood of another company choosing TTL for regional operations is close to 0.

Look at this lot's neighbors... a 5-story residential project, and Playa del Norte, with projects no greater than 6 stories. I think a condo project here would be great, though, if residents come to embrace the lake in their lifestyle. With a Boathouse planned for the Marina, and Vela with its retail and office space fronting the Marina and intended for lake-related business, there's a unique little sub-culture of sorts evolving over there.
Yeah the only way to get megaprojects moving successfully like Marina Heights is to have a guaranteed majority tenant (or total tenant).

want to see more like that? Get Tempe, Phoenix, and the Governors office to court more companies looking to relocate out of the tax-happy east coast and California.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah the only way to get megaprojects moving successfully like Marina Heights is to have a guaranteed majority tenant (or total tenant).

want to see more like that? Get Tempe, Phoenix, and the Governors office to court more companies looking to relocate out of the tax-happy east coast and California.
I agree with this, but disagree with JSS statement:

"... but the likelihood of another company choosing TTL for regional operations is close to 0."

I think that Tempe is in a good place and will likely continue to see interest from major corporations. In particular, i think the last remaining piece of land next to Marina Heights is a prime location for another large corporate presence by a single tenant.

In addition, it seems ASU is about to sign a large tenant for the Stadium District's first office buildings. These types of moves tend to generate more momentum, not less.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:17 PM

Plus has he had his head stuck in the sand? I've read in the past week about 3-4 companies (one British and another Fortune 1000 company) all announce to relocate within the region or open offices. I think a lot of companies will look at what State Farm has done as a model of economies of scale and potentially follow suit.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Plus has he had his head stuck in the sand? I've read in the past week about 3-4 companies (one British and another Fortune 1000 company) all announce to relocate within the region or open offices. I think a lot of companies will look at what State Farm has done as a model of economies of scale and potentially follow suit.
Yes we got a decent sized company to move headquarters from North Carolina to here, also Farmers announced an expansion here.

There has been plenty of news of companies expanding or opening offices here because it is a growing region and it will continue.

The HQ's and other major operational centers is what we need more of.

It would be really great if we could become a "place" like Silicon Valley is for tech, and the Midwest was for heavy manufacturing, to foster start-ups and bring entrepreneurs looking to start those types of businesses' to the city.

What do we have? Semi-Conductors? Logistics'? I guess healthcare to a degree, insurance seems to be growing a large industry here across the board. We need a patron industry to call Arizona home.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Oh, you are thinking of ARM opening a chandler office. Yes, that is very exciting! I don't think it's a huge presence, but definitely a processor leader that felt it necessary to be here with Intel.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Oh, you are thinking of ARM opening a chandler office. Yes, that is very exciting! I don't think it's a huge presence, but definitely a processor leader that felt it necessary to be here with Intel.
You are correct that it isn't a huge presence, but it's not exactly correct that they felt it necessary to be here with Intel. In October, Marvell Semiconductor divested an approximately 25-person ARM core design team (many of whom moved to Marvell from Intel as part of Intel's divestiture of its Cellular & Handheld Group in 2006). ARM Ltd. subsequently hired the entire team. So ARM's presence in Chandler is really a factor of being able to acquire an entire ARM core design team intact as opposed to any geographic strategy. However, it's still awesome that they now have a presence here and hopefully they will choose to grow their presence in the future.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:06 PM

A few pictures from a walk along the lake for a slow news day.

AC Marriott slowly but surely coming along. It's supposed to be done this Spring.

SALT exteriors coming along. I like the colors.

VELA (love those snappy one-word building names) from across the lake.

Not the best pictures of Marina Heights but it looks like their working on the retail buildings.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 7:55 AM

Quote:
None of those companies chose Tempe Town Lake for their expansions. I didn't say the chances of the metro area getting relocations was low; I specifically mentioned the lakefront in response to someone's question about the validity of those boom-day renderings of highrises.

PHXFlyer11 - ASU Stadium District isn't the lake, either, but anyway- the first phase with the anchor tenant mentioned is 3 offices around 6 stories each. That is exactly in line with the majority of the TTL buildings I referenced, which are NOT in line with what is being proposed in that rendering, which is several highrise office buildings (and perhaps even condos). 3 6-story buildings going up on that lakefront property on Rural and the 202 is exactly what I am saying is most likely.

I am not questioning the possibility of more economic development in the Phoenix metro. I am saying that the chances of a move from a company that is large enough to warrant a project the size and scale of State Farm's ON THE LAKE is 0. There is a very specific reason State Farm chose the lake and not a downtown Phoenix parcel: several phased midrise buildings are much cheaper than a supertall tower. If State Farm had to choose from the parcels left along the lake right now, I think they'd pass. Nothing comes close in terms of square footage, which would require more height and make the move illogical.

Right now, Phoenix metro's biggest attraction is cost in comparison to a state like California. If the lot next to Marina Heights ends up being a single-tenant office tower, I would be absolutely floored. It just doesn't make sense financially; many of these relocations are too small to warrant such an expensive site with a dedicated tower, and if another one the size of State Farm comes, they are going to choose somewhere like the ASU Research Park or Papago Grand where they can sprawl out. That lot is slated for hospitality and I think that makes the most sense.

I really wasn't meaning to be critical of anything but the project proposed years ago in the renderings. I'm aware of all the recent business activity and while much of it is cost-based IMO, you're right that the momentum is there and eventually moves will be for the talent and/or synergies from developing markets. And, when that happens, I hope that companies choose downtown Tempe or downtown Phoenix vs. where the majority of these recent moves have chosen.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 1:22 PM

Thanks for the pics muertecaza. I liked the look of SALT as it fit in with HFL.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 4:55 PM

Article is behind a paywall, but preview shows a rendering of the new retail that is planned for the old College Bookstore on Rural.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...-ahead-in.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Adaptive Reuse: Davis Enterprises gets go ahead in Tempe

The retail center near Arizona State University has been approved by the city of Tempe and is starting construction. It previously was home to a bookstore catering to ASU students

Davis Lunt said the space, which is being marketed as the Wedge, is being geared for four to five restaurants or retail shops. Several adaptive reuse projects around the Valley have sought to attract retail and restaurant users. She points out the address as Rural Road frontage and there are more than 114,000 daytime employees and residents in a three-mile radius.

The firm has done adaptive reuse and infill projects in central Phoenix. The Tempe redevelopment is slated to deliver in the third quarter.

Mike Sunnucks writes about residential and commercial real estate, government, law, sports business and workplace issues.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:59 AM

From 2/25 City Council Agenda: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/m...City%20Council

-City Council will vote to authorize exclusive negotiations with DMB Associates for sale and development of 1.4 acres of City land on Apache. EDIT: The parcel is by the Smith/Martin light rail stop, here:

That area is almost all fenced off and vacant, the development is much needed

-Crescent Rio is back for City Council approval, this time with 315 proposed units, down from 356. The delays and density reduction is frustrating, but I I won't be mad if it actually gets built with 315 units.

Last edited by muertecaza; Feb 23, 2016 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:03 PM

DRC packet on Farmer Arts Parcel 2 (the office/garage north of 5th):

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=39278

And for Farmer Arts Parcel 1 (apartments at Farmer/Uni):

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=39282

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest