HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'm sure Edmonton users will kindly remind us that this isn't at all the case but I can see it being plausible that the market is fatigued. There have been a few events in the past few years and it seems like 2022 has been a down year for most teams and events (Elks, FC Ed, and now U20s).
Edmonton may be a big city but it is a smaller sports market... I strongly suspect it is a relatively small pool of people buying the lions share of increasingly expensive season tickets, tournament packages, etc. At a certain point you just hit a wall with the number of multi-thousand dollar invoices you want to pay out of your own pockets, or that accounting will approve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I don't think this is an Edmonton thing, although maybe in a smaller municipality with less things to do and less sports in the area might have done better.
During last night's game the announcers mentioned tickets were moving fast in Halifax and Moncton and I'd believe it. Edmonton just came off a long NHL playoff run where people were paying hundreds of dollars a game, and I'm sure it drained some sports budgets. That is not a factor in those places.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:56 PM

If declining ticket sales is a trend, then the Sens are apparently beating it. With a few big moves from GM Dorion, such as signing Giroux, DeBrincat and Cam Talbot, season ticket sales are apparently up. Positive news like the potential new Downtown arena and Alfie being inducted into the Hall of Fame probably helped.

That said, we were struggling to sell tickets for quite a few years, so this increase may only bring us back up to average attendance.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...r-ticket-sales

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If declining ticket sales is a trend, then the Sens are apparently beating it. With a few big moves from GM Dorion, such as signing Giroux, DeBrincat and Cam Talbot, season ticket sales are apparently up. Positive news like the potential new Downtown arena and Alfie being inducted into the Hall of Fame probably helped.
I think a more accurate way of looking at this would be saying that Senators season ticket figures are moving back up to where they should have been, rather than being deflated by a negligent owner.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:58 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton also has a:

1. short summer
2. active outdoor population ie. camping
3. mountains
4. Kelowna

Why go inside a rink during these precious months.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:14 PM

Ya but you got a million people to fill a 20 thousand seat building. Not everyone comes to our mountains or cities.
Hockey Canada bad taste in your mouth is however a valid excuse.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:15 PM
Community Guy

That too along with a general disdain for prices and the re-started tournament this year.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:15 PM

Prices as well yup.
Reminds me of Vancouver and the men's soccer team. Cancelations etc made us not want to go once a match with an opponent with no cache finally went on.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:38 PM

Jets have a press conference scheduled for 13:27 today with a Twitter tease of 2 jerseys being retired ti the rafters with the 90s jets logo. Likely Teemu and Temppo Numinen jersey retirements.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Jets have a press conference scheduled for 13:27 today with a Twitter tease of 2 jerseys being retired ti the rafters with the 90s jets logo. Likely Teemu and Temppo Numinen jersey retirements.
I love the Jets, but they spend an inordinate time wallowing in nostalgia for a team that accomplished absolutely nothing during the 80s and 90s.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I love the Jets, but they spend an inordinate time wallowing in nostalgia for a team that accomplished absolutely nothing during the 80s and 90s.
There was a time through the 00s where it felt like the Leafs had a pre-game ceremony every other home game for some random player or event that had happened fifty years prior.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They do but both candidates are deserving even though one of them, Teemu, only spent 3.5 years with the Jets. He had an incredible impact on the community in such a short period of time.

Teppo was such a good defenseman for such a long period of time long after he left the Jets, well into his mid-30s.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:59 PM

^ Teemu had one magical season but he gets an incredible amount of adulation for a guy with such a short run in Winnipeg, and with no team accomplishments during that time. I think he has just sort of become the personification of the 90s Jets... he kind of stands in the place of the team.

I mean, Teemu played more games in San Jose and Colorado combined than he did in Winnipeg... never mind Anaheim, where he had by far his longest run and won the cup.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:09 PM

I would like to see Bob Essensa get his retired goalie Bob was great

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 11:50 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
There was a time through the 00s where it felt like the Leafs had a pre-game ceremony every other home game for some random player or event that had happened fifty years prior.
My favourite was “The Greatest Team Never to win the Cup” ceremony with the Gilmour/Clark era Leafs.

I remember thinking “really? - you have to resort to that” to celebrate something.
Such a contrast to all the Habs ceremonies celebrating their legendary players & teams (I’m not a Leafs or Habs fan BTW).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 12:19 AM

I like when Toronto celebrated the team that lost to Vancouver lol.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 5:51 PM
Near Generational

Kadri to the Flames $7M x 7 years.

Monahan to the Habs.

Tre is one of the best GMs in the NHL.

Bring on the Oilers.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 6:21 PM
the first stamp is free

If signing a player like Kadri, coming of a career (and outlier) year to a 7x7 contract and wasting a 1st round pick to get rid of Monahan makes you one of the best GMs in the league...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 6:26 PM

Calgary has made lateral moves they haven't really improved and i am not convinced Kadri will play long term like he did this past season

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:08 PM

Kadri doesn't need to perform for 7 years. Calgary has retooled enough to at least have a shot of being competitive for the next 3 years, after which it's pretty much a guaranteed rebuild anyway and having Kadri on the books doesn't mean anything. If he really declines quickly maybe it accelerates the rebuild to 2 years from now, but overall, a relatively low risk signing.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:17 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Kadri doesn't need to perform for 7 years. Calgary has retooled enough to at least have a shot of being competitive for the next 3 years, after which it's pretty much a guaranteed rebuild anyway and having Kadri on the books doesn't mean anything. If he really declines quickly maybe it accelerates the rebuild to 2 years from now, but overall, a relatively low risk signing.
Perfectly fine to be overpaying Hubredeau and Kadri in years 5, 6 and 7 of their contracts when there are a couple parades in Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada