HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 11:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
It should be noted that most gays don't live in the "villages"

Most are living happy productive lives in and amongst their straight counterparts

A very well known gay author and playwright bought a house with his parter, just down from us in the mature 'burbs

Said my sweetie: "look honey, we're not the only gays in the village"

Lol
Haha yeah! I hope to move to the Beltline with my "sweetie" as our relationship matures. I guess the Beltline could be considered a village. I heard a statistic once that the population (around 20 000) is around 30% gay. So I guess that is substantial, but I think it's a bit too major of a neighbourhood to be considered a village, since there are only 3 gay bars in the area. Most of my friends don't even go to the gay bars, they are just comfortable enough to go to any bar and be able to show their affection. I love living in this generation!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 11:28 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
AKA baiting.

So I assume you've never spent any significant amount of time here?

Perhaps next time, don't try to tell a gay person how accepting their city is when you clearly have no significant experience in the matter.
No, it's true. IN the 70s and 80s, Alberta was very conservative. It was only years removed from the Socred government and there was nary a place for gays to settle down in. Even Edmonton, when it was a bigger city than Calgary, was very hostile to the gay community. The first gay bars couldn't find a suitable place to settle down until the mid 80s, and by that time most of the gay folks moved elsewhere.

Things have changed though and the battle against Alberta's millenarian conservatism has left little chance of a gay refuge from being large enough to exist as a village.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 11:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh I understand that totally. It was the same situation in most of the world at that time though. He "corrected" my comment to say "still too conservative"... which it isn't anymore. He even admitted to fishing for a reaction.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 11:49 PM

^ ah gotcha, thx. Moving along....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 12:58 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
I think only Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Winnipeg have gay villages.
Where's the gay village in Winnipeg? There wasn't one twenty years ago, so it must be a new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240gl
Said my sweetie: "look honey, we're not the only gays in the village"

http://littlebritain.wikia.com/wiki/Daffyd_Thomas

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 2:44 AM

No gay village in Winnipeg or Edmonton - Jasper Ave is not a village. Ottawa's Bank Street Village is new as of a few years ago.

This thread is obviously going to be a disaster. As someone who has spent plenty of time in both Calgary & Edmonton's gay communities (lived in both for many years)...they're not much different. Both I found to be open & accepting to LGBT people.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 2:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Same with me and Winnipeg. People warned me before moving that I might have to slip back in the closet a little, but it was perfectly fine. And a lot of the really religious were the best.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 3:08 AM
I am a typical

The gay people in Thunder Bay are old, you're more likely to see a retired lesbian couple than 20-somethings holding hands here. At least in my experience. Most of the younger gay people either leave the city, or are only going to school here. Those of us who stay are fucked up. And many of the younger LGBT couples have kids. Our first gay pride day was basically just a same-sex couples picnic in the park. It was very pretty.

Outside of a few specific places and situations the city in general is pretty accepting (or at least tolerant) of LGBT people. Any anti-LGBT letter in the local paper is met with multiple pro-LGBT responses for days or weeks afterwards. There are places where it wouldn't be a good idea to walk around holding hands with your partner but even Toronto has neighbourhoods like that.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
I thought this was probably a good idea for a thread, considering that the gay population is generally quite urban and since a disproportionate amount of gay men are interested in urban development (seemingly, judging by polls taken on SSP). Someone just shared this article with me on Facebook, and it's quite sad, but it gave me the idea for this thread, because even Canada's smaller cities can have thriving gay communities (for instance, I know Nelson BC, at 11 000 people, is probably the most accepting and open community I've ever experienced, with gay couples everywhere! ). However, those communities can also go into decline, such as this news story out of Lethbridge, a city in a metro of 110 000 people...

BORDELLO IS SHUTTERED
But the show will go on...

Full Story: http://www.theatreoutre.ca/about-us/venue/
Wow, I had no idea Southern Alberta was really that close-minded... in 2014, in a city of 100k+, that's crazy.

(That's what I was supposed to say, right?)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 3:49 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A sneak peek at The 'Out'port's February edition, which profiles Tommy Sexton - a famous Newfoundland comedian who brought the hit Newfoundland Television show Wonderful Grand Band to national audiences as Codco. He later died of AIDS, and his family holds benefits in his memory to raise money for AIDS research.

And a map of the main LGBT hot spots in St. John's.

It's a little saddening how fast things change.

Almost all of the gay spots of my youth are gone. Hava Java, Aqua, and ABBA are the only places left - and I never went to ABBA because it's a B&B. Zone 216 (the city's longest-lived gay bar, and one of the most popular full stop. At 3 a.m., when the straight bars closed, the Zone would fill to bursting for the last couple of hours of drinking), eTomik, the Darkroom (St. John's flirtation with the raunchier side of gay nightlife, leopard-print couches, curtained booths built into the walls, elaborate cocktails... it was so much fun. And just across the back alley from the main gay bar, so you could leave the pounding and go have a quiet drink/laugh)... they're all forgotten.

It is nice having a gay bar back in the space Velvet now occupies. It's the same location as Madame's, one of the first gay bars.

And one more thing, a blast from the past. There were a few LGBT pop songs here in the 1970s/1980s, encouraging LGBT people living in rural Newfoundland to move to St. John's for better options. There was (and still is, in many areas) a lot of homophobia in rural areas. And, even where there wasn't... in villages and towns of 100-1,000 people, LGBT people are unlikely to have many relationship options.

This is the only one of those songs available on YouTube.

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 30, 2014 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Oh I understand that totally. It was the same situation in most of the world at that time though. He "corrected" my comment to say "still too conservative"... which it isn't anymore. He even admitted to fishing for a reaction.
Sorry to hurt your feelings but Calgary is still conservative by canadian standard.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:01 AM
ARTchitecture

Why do you guys talk about shit you know nothing about? Is just to create conflict? Please please please stop, because you don't have a single clue, clearly. Abottsford is conservative by Canadian Standards. Calgary is doing just fine. At least Calgary doesn't have laws restricting religious freedom or the languages we can speak. Ask the 75% of the population who voted to re-elect our muslim mayor last year how conservative we are. Thanks for coming out, now stop this shit.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Why do you guys talk about shit you know nothing about? Is just to create conflict? Please please please stop, because you don't have a single clue, clearly. Abottsford is conservative by Canadian Standards. Calgary is doing just fine. At least Calgary doesn't have laws restricting religious freedom or the languages we can speak. Ask the 75% of the population who voted to re-elect our muslim mayor last year how conservative we are. Thanks for coming out, now stop this shit.
No need to react like this. Calgary is more conservative than Edmonton or any other large canadian cities. Montreal doesn't have laws restricting religious freedom by the way.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:04 AM

K-W must be the largest city in Canada with no gay bar. There was one until a few months ago, but the building was converted to high tech office space and the bar owners are now running an "urban lounge" Downtown.

Gay life in K-W seems very low-key, but the lesbian community is large and quite visible.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
No need to react like this. It is a fact than calgary has more hate crimes than any other Canadian cities.
Where are these facts? Last I checked, Vancouver had the highest instances of hate crimes in Canada. Again, I implore you to please stop this, unless you actually know what you're talking about. You don't need to put down other places to make you feel better about your own, Montreal is already awesome.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Where are these facts? Last I checked, Vancouver had the highest instances of hate crimes in Canada. Again, I implore you to please stop this, unless you actually know what you're talking about.
You are right, I just took a look at Statcan. My apologies

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Jan 30, 2014 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
No need to react like this. Calgary is more conservative than Edmonton or any other large canadian cities.
FWIW, the people I personally know who moved to 'Redmonton' had culture shock over how conservative the place is... I can only assume that the culture shock for a place like Lethbridge would've been quite a bit greater. (Which is kinda the topic of this thread, right?)

I'm not saying that to annoy anyone, I mean, if you and I can keep our calm when reading posts mentioning our "laws restricting religious freedom or the languages we can speak" and even discuss it calmly and friendly if needed, which I know I've done in the past on SSP (even though it's off-topic here)... why can't I also point out the negatives about other places, when it's on topic?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:21 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Sorry to hurt your feelings but Calgary is still conservative by canadian standard.

Calgary is undoubtedly one of the most conservative major cities in Canada (inb4 Allan chimes in with his mental gymnastics to "prove" that it's actually the most liberal)...but in 2014...in Canada...in a big city, even the most conservative of places are still going to be overwhelmingly gay friendly. There might be a little less tolerance than in say, Montreal, but it's not as if gay Calgarians are living in fear of being hunted down by the homophobic Mayor Nenshi and being sent to one of his homosexual concentration camps either.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:22 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
You are right. For large cities, Calgary is second. My apologies.

Not sure why you react like this?

Not sure why you feel the need to make such severe assumptions based on what is clearly little to no knowledge of the subject. Just because the city votes conservative federally means nothing about the values of the city at the social level. The people like the oil industry, the conservative party props up the oil industry. Other than that, there is little to no correlation. You can't just go around making blanket assumptions about places you don't have any real-life knowledge about, or any facts to back up said assumptions... when you do, reactions happen. I have a pretty well-known track record of reacting(over-reacting?) when blatant misinformation is spewed about Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:26 AM

Quote:
You can't just go around making blanket assumptions about places you don't have any real-life knowledge about... when you do, reactions happen.
"real-life knowledge" is overrated... the best example I can give you is the fact that Allan83 has a substantial amount of "real-life knowledge" of Calgary, Alberta, and the oil industry, since he lives there, yet it becomes obvious quickly that you absolutely can't take his word on anything related to those.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada