HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 11:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd rate Montreal higher than Toronto or Vancouver.
Just my personal opinion.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Most would put Toronto ahead of Montreal nowadays.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 3:06 AM
recession proof

If you can't eat tomatoes, onions, red meat or gluten, it's frustrating trying to eat "ethnic" food - eg even trying to shop at T&T, it's futile asking for help on even a simple label to see if it's gluten-free. I recall a shawarma shop owner saying "everything is gluten-free here but we do use wheat to thicken our sauces and soups." So as far as I'm concerned, Port Alberni is world class!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 3:16 AM
Fake News

Ches’ Fish and Chips!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 7:53 PM
ハルウララ

Taylor Haase
@TaylorHaasePGH
https://twitter.com/taylorhaasepgh/s...07572377001985

Nick Suzuki on winning a year of Chipotle as a result of winning the golf skill event: “We don’t have a Chipotle in Montreal.”

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 8:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Most would put Toronto ahead of Montreal nowadays.
Depends for what. For sheer variety of international cuisines Toronto definitely wins.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 8:53 PM
be nice to the crackheads

YL's Curry Bowl is a hidden gem in Metro Vancouver. Located in the T&T food court in Surrey, it's easy to miss.

We found this place by accident, and ended walking away full with the best Singaporean Laksa I've had outside of Singapore. The question is, is it worth the trip to go back to Surrey for? Yeah, I think so.

Curry Chicken Rice. The curry was buttery, and the chicken was super juicy. You can get chicken rice (white rice cooked in chicken fat) to go with it, but we forgot to add it.

The laksa. They ask you if you want to add their homemade shrimp paste to the broth which seems like a no-brainer to me. Without it, I'd be half as good.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 4:06 AM

Quote:
I agree with you MolsonEx. Having spent time eating out in all three cities I would say that Montreal is much higher than the other two. But the Toronto and Vancouver areas do have wonderful restaurants.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Montreal is your go-to city in Canada if you want unique innovative locally-sourced cuisine. By a longshot I'd argue.

But Toronto and even Vancouver offer a wider range of the world's culinary diversity.

I mean, Vancouver even has what is arguably the world's best Québécois restaurant. But the cuisine itself didn't originate in Vancouver, and even the chef-owner is "imported" from Quebec!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:16 PM

Portugal is cheap (and one of my favourite places to travel to in the world), but the food is not very good. Spain is definitely the sweet spot.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Spain is awesome and so is Portugal, but the latter had much better food. The food in Spain was....pretty boring.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Spain is awesome and so is Portugal, but the latter had much better food. The food in Spain was....pretty boring.
I have to agree. It was very good for what it is - simple, tasty - but boring. They abhor spice, which is a bit surprisingly for North Americans who tend to associate "Spanish" food with Spanish America, and they're quite spicy by white standards.

Spanish food is like your mother is really good at making chicken nuggets and ham sandwiches, with a side of fried non-spicy peppers and lots of sardines. Now, I've been a pescatarian I suppose for a few years, so this most recent trip to Spain I couldn't get any of the legs of salted meat hanging outside every restaurant, butcher, and... pharmacy lol I imagine that's as poo-pooed by the WASPS as our salt fish, but I also trust it's as delicious as ours and superior in practice haha.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I have to agree. It was very good for what it is - simple, tasty - but boring. They abhor spice, which is a bit surprisingly for North Americans who tend to associate "Spanish" food with Spanish America, and they're quite spicy by white standards.

Spanish food is like your mother is really good at making chicken nuggets and ham sandwiches, with a side of fried non-spicy peppers and lots of sardines. Now, I've been a pescatarian I suppose for a few years, so this most recent trip to Spain I couldn't get any of the legs of salted meat hanging outside every restaurant, butcher, and... pharmacy lol I imagine that's as poo-pooed by the WASPS as our salt fish, but I also trust it's as delicious as ours and superior in practice haha.
By “legs of salted meat”, I assume you mean Serrano ham.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 12:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I’m unsure what it’s called here, but everything was labelled some variant of Iberico there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:19 PM
Cap the Cut!

A Lisbon local told us that sardines were out of season so if we were to have any they wouldn't be as good as fresh caught. I can't imagine them being better than this plate full I had in Sintra one afternoon. Funny that they don't cut the heads off or clean the guts out. Since returning to Halifax I've been having a tin of sardines at least once a week.

20230209_100559 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20230208_103809 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 4:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

I loveeeeee canned Spanish seafood - ditto Portugues. 10 years or so ago it was kinda hard to get the better brands and you had to order it, but lots of places here carry it now. Plus there are more local (well, Canadian) options available too that don't break the bank quite so much. Give me some plain salty chips and a tin of Octopus in Galacian sauce and I'll be happy.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 4:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
both have the best wine. I wanted to murder the Toronto Star for this article. 3 of the 5 are ones I thought are some of the best bang for the buck at the LCBO, that I've tried. The Julia Florista ones, and I like JP the best out of this batch.

These excellent wines are all less than $10 at the LCBO

Imported wine prices have gone up, but these five picks prove you can still find a delicious bargain.
By Carolyn Evans Hammond/Contributing Columnist
Thu., March 9, 2023

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...-the-lcbo.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 2:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Been to these places recently and while I love Portugal for me it's a notch or two below Spain-France-Italy.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:04 AM
Ham-burgher

Went to Spain at the beginning of 2020. Loved it all (4 cities: Madrid, Seville, Granada, and Barcelona) but the heads on the seafood was a non-starter for my travel partner... I didn't mind so much. The breakfasts at the hotels always included the cured hams, which I liked. Leaner than prosciutto, but tasty.

We visited Lisbon and area last fall. Had a terrific time! We ate well and I don't recall how much difference there was from Spain, but the little hole-in-the-wall places were fantastic. My partner preferred the "nicer" restaurants, but I love exploring the ones you'd never notice unless you walk past. One thing I do recall: the olives in Portugal were the best I've ever had, no matter where we were in the region.

Both countries will be re-visited in the future!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 6:14 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What's the deal with "smashed burgers"? I've tried them due to the gourmet burger joint craze currently going on, and I don't get it. I keep thinking it's me, or that they must be good because they're all over the place, but I always regret it afterwards.

They're sickeningly greasy. Eventually the wrapper disintegrates and your hands are completely lubricated. But the worst thing is that the flavour is diminished by how thin the patties are.

I've come to the conclusion that a nice thick pattie, just slightly underdone in the middle, is optimal. Next time I get a burger I'm giving the smashed option a miss.
There are a lot of bad smashburgers out there. A good one shouldn't be greasy, and the beef patties should be nice and crispy. The well-browned texture is the whole point.

I'm eating one right now from Chez Tousignant here in Montreal and it's pretty much exactly what you want from a smashburger – good potato bun (homemade in this case) that is soft but not too moist; nice browned beef flavour; nice melty American cheese (also homemade in this case); everything melds together into oozy goodness (without being greasy).

Generally speaking, Canada is a pretty terrible place for burgers. The average restaurant burger in the US is pretty good whereas the average burger here is an overpriced mess with bland, overcooked beef and terrible bread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada