HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Also keep in mind all after Sept 2021 all new vehicles sold must have tail lights that come on either with the DRL, or all lights must come on automatically in the dark (which is kind of what we have now), or the dash must stay dark if the tail / running lights are not illuminated. (This last one is probably the main reason you see some people with no tail lights)
Thank goodness for that; it is far too common to see cars at night with just their DRL headlights, and completely dark from behind.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 2:07 AM

and these are the reasons why we have so many car accidents. when people with licences cant even turn lights on why do we expect they'll be able to drive a car?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
250 cars shows a pretty strong commitment to the car share business in Vancouver. A long ways to go though to replace all of the cars that car2go had in service.
I wonder how many are replacements for cars that have been written off.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I believe Car2go was in the 500+ range for vehicles. 250 is a very reasonable expansion for them to undertake, given ride hailing is here now as well.

They are promising a new app too, which is long overdue.
Car2Go Vancouver had 1275 cars (and over 200000 members) as of October 2019.. the largest city number in the company.

Ron.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Car2Go Vancouver had 1275 cars (and over 200000 members) as of October 2019.. the largest city number in the company.

Ron.
Holy macaroni! I wonder where all of those cars will end up...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Unless you're desperate to wedge a vehicle into free West End parking I don't know why anyone would pick up the used SmartCars. The Mercedes' are the cheapest models, maybe if the price was right, but you can probably lease a new one for a lower payment and free maintenance.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
A few years ago when Car to Go got rid of there electric smart Cars they sold all them to a California company that specializes in aftermarket conversions of cars to electrification. I imagine Car to Go will collect all the vehicles once they close down for business and then auction the cars off to a buyer that will use the cars for parts as well. What can't be used probably will be sold for scrap metal in all likelihood...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:58 PM

Zipcar pulling out of BC as of May 1, sounds like a lame excuse:

Car sharing company Zipcar has announced it will cease operations in B.C. as of May 1, 2020.

In an email to customers, the Boston-based company pointed to insurance regulations as part of the reason.

"Unfortunately, due to the complexities of operating in British Columbia, including local insurance regulations, we've had to make the tough choice to close Zipcar locations in your province," reads the email.

Zipcar, which is owned by car rental company Avis Budget Group began operating in B.C. in 2007 in nine cities, including Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ay-1-1.5540191

Last edited by whatnext; Apr 21, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:08 PM

Sounds like a win for Modo. Zipcar was always inexplicably expensive to me. I expected them to have a somewhat seamless integration to Avis/Budget for shorter term rentals, but that never happened either.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:29 AM

They only had 80 cars between Vancouver and Victoria. Doubt it will do anything for Modo.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They only had 80 cars between Vancouver and Victoria. Doubt it will do anything for Modo.
Wow I'm surprised, I see them around (though not as much as Modo). My building has 2. I would have guessed they had 250, about half of Modo's 550(?) fleet.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 6:12 PM

Just joined Modo actually. In certain situations it looks like modo would be cheaper than Evo. I think I will sell my car when the payments are done in October. See how it goes

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:12 AM

The reason behind their higher insurance rates.

Quote:
“In 2013, Avis chose to insure Zipcar vehicles as rental vehicles instead of as car-sharing vehicles, to allow them to interchange Avis vehicles with Zipcar vehicles,” she said. “However, this option costs more than the less expensive car-sharing rate class used by other car-share companies in B.C.”
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-the-province/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 11:34 PM

2020 June. New EVO Toyota Prius

Untitled by Lexus, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
2020 June. New EVO Toyota Prius
Too bad they can't get the Prius C's any more - I always thought that was a great car share vehicle.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Too bad they can't get the Prius C's any more - I always thought that was a great car share vehicle.
It wasn't a popular vehicle in North America, and it was fairly expensive to boot for not that much better fuel economy. The sales numbers for a sub-compact car are pretty abysmal:

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/toyota...sales-figures/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:29 AM

I drive home on my commute at 3 and every day I see cars getting towed as they are parked in the no parking from 3pm - 6 pm in the east bound parking lane. And every day I see at least 2 EVO cars parked in those lanes. Usually on Kingsway or Broadway.

What happens when they get towed? does the EVO place charge the driver known to have parked there? or does EVO just pay it? or do they get a freebie from the tow company?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I drive home on my commute at 3 and every day I see cars getting towed as they are parked in the no parking from 3pm - 6 pm in the east bound parking lane. And every day I see at least 2 EVO cars parked in those lanes. Usually on Kingsway or Broadway.

What happens when they get towed? does the EVO place charge the driver known to have parked there? or does EVO just pay it? or do they get a freebie from the tow company?
Not sure if it happens in practice but I think the driver who left the car in that zone would get billed for the ticket.

Evo is launching in Victoria as well with 80 cars.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:15 AM

I sure hope that the idiot that parked it there gets charged for few hundred dollars. Glad to hear they are towing them.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I sure hope that the idiot that parked it there gets charged for few hundred dollars. Glad to hear they are towing them.
But if you park there at 2pm and nobody picks up the car for an hour, is that your fault?

This will happen more now that they can park at city meters without paying. All of those rush hour lanes are metered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure