HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 11:49 PM

It would be better to keep the B-Line name and just make a new marketing and other material around the name. I would love to see all the buses be Yellow and with Black stripes sort of like a Bee. They could even market the new line as the fastest Buzz in town.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Maybe go 9A, 9B, etc?
I'm not convinced that the traveling public is ready for hexadecimal...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Or 95 -> 905, 96 -> 906, etc.

1 to 2 digits are for Vancouver buses, 100s for Burnaby, New West and Tri-cities, 200s for north shore, 300s for Surrey, North Delta, and Langley, 400s for Richmond, 500s for Langley (and Abbotsford if it ever wants in again), 600s for Tsawwassen and Ladner, 700s for Ridge Meadows (and Mission if it wants in, if ever), 800s for school special.

See? We don't yet have anything for the 900s so why not use them? It's not like we're gonna have 100 B-Lines anyway.

Anyway, I can't wait to see them roll out. If I ever come back and visit, I wanna take them.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:56 AM

Skytrain, Canada Line, West Coast Express and Seabus are in the 900's (I think).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Skytrain, Canada Line, West Coast Express and Seabus are in the 900's (I think).
What?
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Or 95 -> 905, 96 -> 906, etc.

1 to 2 digits are for Vancouver buses, 100s for Burnaby, New West and Tri-cities, 200s for north shore, 300s for Surrey, North Delta, and Langley, 400s for Richmond, 500s for Langley (and Abbotsford if it ever wants in again), 600s for Tsawwassen and Ladner, 700s for Ridge Meadows (and Mission if it wants in, if ever), 800s for school special.

See? We don't yet have anything for the 900s so why not use them? It's not like we're gonna have 100 B-Lines anyway.

Anyway, I can't wait to see them roll out. If I ever come back and visit, I wanna take them.
You might want to reserve 900 for Abbotsford, Mission, or Squamish in the future, once they merge more with Vancouver. Otherwise they'd have 1000- number bus lines. Or change the School Specials to S(), like the Night-bus numbering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I'm not convinced that the traveling public is ready for hexadecimal...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
What?
Why?
It is how the scheduling system handles them. It was not too long ago google maps used those numbers when giving transit directions.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It is how the scheduling system handles them. It was not too long ago google maps used those numbers when giving transit directions.
What are the official route numbers then? (999 998?).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Yea, that’s what I remember.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:25 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Are we gonna have more than 100 routes when combining all the future B-Lines, skytrain and seabus routes?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
According to TransitDB:
http://www.transitdb.ca/route/992/
Canada Line: 980 (not sure why, might have to do with not using the same type of light metro as the rest of the system).
Millennium Line: 991
Expo Line: 992
WCE: 997 (why the unconventional number?)
Seabus: 998 (again, why?)

970-979 Might want to reserve for LRT/Streetcar/Rack Railways, and 950-969 as possible extra blank space to be used if needed, leaving 900-949 as possible B-Lines.

So I guess 990-994 is Skytrain, 995-999 is everything that doesn't fit (Seabus, Commuter Rail, probably the BMG.)

But that raises the question of what to do if we have more than 5 Skytrain Lines. Maybe we could move into the 985-989 range, since Canada-Line type trains are unlikely to be built into the future?

Or actually develop a commuter Rail system with more than one line, do we move WCE to 960-969? Or do we just renumber everything to give us more space?

Has there every been a renumbering in this entire system?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
So I guess 990-994 is Skytrain, 995-999 is everything that doesn't fit (Seabus, Commuter Rail, probably the BMG.)
Before the Evergreen Extension Expo Line Waterfront/King George was 999 and Millennium Line Waterfront/VCC-Clark was 996.

They probably started at 999 with Expo and went backwards with the Seabus, WCE and then original Millennium Line.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
Before the Evergreen Extension Expo Line Waterfront/King George was 999 and Millennium Line Waterfront/VCC-Clark was 996.

They probably started at 999 with Expo and went backwards with the Seabus, WCE and then original Millennium Line.
Nothing that new (979 was the Olympic Streetcar) but there's also this reddit thread from a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._routes_named/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:33 AM

Just let loose some cats and let them feed them while also scaring away the pigeons.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Just let loose some cats and let them feed them while also scaring away the pigeons.
A Feral Cat problem is probably worse than a feral pigeon problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post

Thanks.

Maybe for B-lines, they could use B99, and down? Like the NightBus, and how the Community Shuttle used to be (it makes more sense, since the B-line is completely different from the rest of the bus system, unlike Community Shuttles)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:49 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Maybe for B-lines, they could use B99, and down? Like the NightBus, and how the Community Shuttle used to be (it makes more sense, since the B-line is completely different from the rest of the bus system, unlike Community Shuttles)
TL is doing a complete (unnecessary) overhaul on the B-Lines to ShitBus "Rapid"Bus routes, so most likely they'll put "R" before the route numbers.

For some reason, TransLink—and BC Transit to a lesser extent—seems to put minimal effort on branding overall. There's NightBus, SeaBus, the former TrainBus, and ExpressBus. They just slap the -Bus suffix to every noun they're is and call it a day.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
TL is doing a complete (unnecessary) overhaul on the B-Lines to ShitBus "Rapid"Bus routes, so most likely they'll put "R" before the route numbers.

For some reason, TransLink—and BC Transit to a lesser extent—seems to put minimal effort on branding overall. There's NightBus, SeaBus, the former TrainBus, and ExpressBus. They just slap the -Bus suffix to every noun they're is and call it a day.
Rapid bus is dumb when we have established branding, but SeaBus is great - it's a bus on the sea and implies that its part of the bus system rather than some standalone transit line like you find in a lot of places.

The TrianBus was a bus that provided a substitution for train service - simple, direct, obvious

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:41 PM

West vancouver not getting b-line till 2020 maybe…

Just looked through west vans latest documents for public engagement and it seems to state that west vancouver is going to miss out on the b-line for September 2019. See last page (p15) for timeline.
link
Quote:
The proposed B-Line will launch in North Vancouver in fall 2019. If West Vancouver approves, the B-Line would be implemented in West Vancouver in 2020

Last edited by Xrayal; Feb 3, 2019 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Added quote

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Lol why am I not surprised...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayal View Post
Just looked through west vans latest documents for public engagement and it seems to state that west vancouver is going to miss out on the b-line for September 2019. See last page (p15) for timeline.
link
As it should. It should only go to Park Royal anyways. No need for a big articulated bus to go to Dundarave.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
As it should. It should only go to Park Royal anyways. No need for a big articulated bus to go to Dundarave.
I mean, there are a lot of condos West of Park Royal; connecting them into the B-line would boost the usefulness of the network. After all, Ambleside is West Vancouver's Town Centre, and they plan on further densifying it in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure