HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 2:24 PM

The BIG design is the best and it isn’t particularly close for me. Fosters tower is very sleek but just a little too goofy to pull it off. The BIG proposal is an absolute-perfect match to 1wtc. Extremely distinctive while maintaining a simplicity that too many trophy towers don’t even try to pull off. I’ve pretty much lost any hope for it but it’s a damn shame. The two designs since are mediocre

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 2:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
The BIG design is the best and it isn’t particularly close for me. Fosters tower is very sleek but just a little too goofy to pull it off. The BIG proposal is an absolute-perfect match to 1wtc. Extremely distinctive while maintaining a simplicity that too many trophy towers don’t even try to pull off. I’ve pretty much lost any hope for it but it’s a damn shame. The two designs since are mediocre
I respectfully disagree completely about BIG vs. Foster. I think Foster's design was inspired and beautiful, whereas BIG's is just another stacked box building like so many that have popped up in other cities (including across the river in Jersey City, and Miami soon). One World Trade Center deserves better than BIG.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:12 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

One thing I hadn't noticed before with the BIG design is how its mechanical ventilation louvres line up approximately with those of 1WTC-- it's not perfect and likely unintentional, but I find it to be such a lovely detail that married 1 and 2 WTC just that bit more. I was against the BIG design at first because of the whiplash from the original Foster proposal, but looking back now I think it was also a quite worthy and contextual design for the site.

In my opinion, the 2006 diamonds, the BIG boxes, and the bundled-tube design from the leaked renderings all work very well as 2WTC. This is a unique site architecturally as it has to 'join' 1 and 3 WTC, and those three designs all do it in nice and interesting ways.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 5:07 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I think BIG's version was the closest thing to giving us the feel of the original WTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Seems like Silverstein has dropped the ball at a number of these opportunities the past decade, Newscorp being the biggest of the lot. Hard to sell downtown as a landing point these days I guess. Plenty of smaller leases, and even a couple of leases in the 6 digits, but no blockbuster deals in awhile.
The thing is, SIlverstein doesn't get to decide what companies do or where the decide to move. Newscorp decided to stay in its current home, it's not like they dropped Silverstein for a new tower in the Hudson Yards. Sometimes it works out that way. Silverstein managed to get 3 new WTC towers fully leased, so I would say he's done great actually.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 8:44 PM

any updates and designs

on the redesign skyscraper models?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:39 PM

It took the original WTC complex about 14 years to fully complete after the opening on the twins (1973) The Marriott and building 7 were just stubs during that time period. Now we're 15 years in and nothing regarding Tower 2. I know the market as change since the pandemic but you're telling me no one is willing to move downtown. Hudson Yards surpassed WTC in less than 6 years. Yikes!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 8:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrm2 View Post
It took the original WTC complex about 14 years to fully complete after the opening on the twins (1973) The Marriott and building 7 were just stubs during that time period. Now we're 15 years in and nothing regarding Tower 2. I know the market as change since the pandemic but you're telling me no one is willing to move downtown. Hudson Yards surpassed WTC in less than 6 years. Yikes!

Built - but not leased. Took decades for that to happen. Nobody builds like that any more, and especially in today’s climate.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 2:40 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Silverstein will be extremely lucky to see this happen considering he's 90 something.

I'm 30 something and will feel extremely lucky to see this complex completed in my lifetime.

I'm not trying to be negative but rather realistic. I hope I'm wrong though

The government should just step in at this point.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think we will see anything built there for at least another decade if ever to be honest.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 3:18 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
All the designs are neat in their own way but I think the newest fits the complex the best.
Agreed. Having a flat rooftop is more in keeping with the visual language of the complex, keeps 1WTC squarely as the focal point, and pays homage to the boxiness of the Twin Towers.

Many people might find the new WTC complex towers a bit bland, but it's important that the designs be respectful and not loud or flashy because they overlook a memorial/burial site.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 1:46 PM

It would be hard to pay any sort of homage as they don't off set each other and the gap between the towers is a lot bigger than the Twins. If anything to achieve the closes to that would be to make 7WTC taller to match 1WTC though we know that will never happen.

The whole layout of the new towers has always been ill thought out. Just from the south or south west is really the only good angle showcasing the complex, whilst the Twins looked good literally at any vantage point. Not to mention having such a dominance that 1WTC doesn't have like before. Not helped by the heights of 3WTC and 4WTC. They should have as 1WTC is tapered gone to 1776ft with the spire going over 2000ft. Which would have been two monumental achievements alone.

Imagine the potential perhaps of how much taller the newer midtown buildings would be by now with 1WTC being over 2000ft?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I don't think we will see anything built there for at least another decade if ever to be honest.
It will be built.

This is the de facto capital of the largest economy in the history of the planet.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

Robert Walpole just can't quit SSP.

Can't blame him.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
It would be hard to pay any sort of homage as they don't off set each other and the gap between the towers is a lot bigger than the Twins. If anything to achieve the closes to that would be to make 7WTC taller to match 1WTC though we know that will never happen.

The whole layout of the new towers has always been ill thought out. Just from the south or south west is really the only good angle showcasing the complex, whilst the Twins looked good literally at any vantage point. Not to mention having such a dominance that 1WTC doesn't have like before. Not helped by the heights of 3WTC and 4WTC. They should have as 1WTC is tapered gone to 1776ft with the spire going over 2000ft. Which would have been two monumental achievements alone.

Imagine the potential perhaps of how much taller the newer midtown buildings would be by now with 1WTC being over 2000ft?

my dear nigel, aside from suggesting the towers should be taaawwwler and whilsting the forum, do you have any real work thoughts about how the whole layout you bashed could have been to your liking?

because other than line new buildings along vesey and down greenwich streets i dont see what else could have been done.

hmm, maybe a building could have been squeezed into the lower west corner at liberty & the wsh, but not sure about that, plus they wanted a square memorial park for the site, so, doubtful.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Lion View Post
It will be built.

This is the de facto capital of the largest economy in the history of the planet.
The one promising development downtown that may eventually spur its construction is the obsolescence of some of the older office buildings and conversion of some to residential. I don't think it will be built until the next construction upswing downtown, which I think is a few years away.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 12:50 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
The one promising development downtown that may eventually spur its construction is the obsolescence of some of the older office buildings and conversion of some to residential. I don't think it will be built until the next construction upswing downtown, which I think is a few years away.
yep agreed, plus not sure what happens in the meantime when larry passes.

but 5 wtc will be started soon and i am looking forward to that in the meantime.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 1:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Silverstein Properties has nearly 80 years left on its lease with the Port Authority for the office space on that site. When Larry passes, nothing changes, that space has to be rebuilt.

Meanwhile, if Tower 2 stood today, it would add to the dramatic backdrop of the smoky haze that has overtaken the area..

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1666526094424416256

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:50 PM

Dramatic. Apocalyptic. Both?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Silverstein Properties has nearly 80 years left on its lease with the Port Authority for the office space on that site. When Larry passes, nothing changes, that space has to be rebuilt.

Meanwhile, if Tower 2 stood today, it would add to the dramatic backdrop of the smoky haze that has overtaken the area..

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1666526094424416256

Off-topic:
...But, it looks like Perelman Performing Arts Center levitating slightly above the ground in a dystopian "I'm gonna get you" Sci-fi fashion in that kind of nicely eerie pic,if you don't zoom in of course.And,it sure suits it of obvious reasons.
.It's due to its black "podium" in which sure blends in its surreal surroundings in such whether conditions from such angle in the pic (i.e. from a distance or bird perspective,like when we seeing it there) that makes quite an optical illusion to it...Yeah.I'm just saying.Loving it..Lol..✌️

Last edited by Ecopolisia; Jun 22, 2023 at 10:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 3:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ good catch — i never paid attention to that, like walking by on the ground level.

pretty cool floating cube vibes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction