HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's nothing bad about about jacksonville. it's all good.

jacksonville has the 3rd most impressive skyline on the continent.
It certainly punches above its weight if the metric is the ratio of skyline impressiveness to metro area population.

It might well be in the top three actually (Calgary would likely be up there too).

But obviously not for just pure unweighted skyline; that's got to be a joke.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
it's even better than toronto's skyline.
Per capita, yes; in an absolute manner, no.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
that's got to be a joke.
i never joke about anything as deadly serious as skylines.

and "the ratio of skyline impressiveness to metro area population"?

seriously?

good ole SSP.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

but we can bring this jacksonville silliness back full circle to where it all began because this thread is actually about great lakes cities!

does anyone else find it a bit strange that the 2nd and 3rd LARGEST skylines in north america are found on the interior shores of the great lakes, and not in the much-vaunted coastal cities?

i didn't fuck it all up this time.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 31, 2018 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

here's sufjan stevens playing "jacksonville" (illinois)

Video Link

from...

img.youtube.com

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:33 PM

You guys really like beating a dead horse.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

You really like being a wet blanket.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
yes, st. louis style is basically bizarro chicago thin crust (with provel and a bit spicier and sweeter). detroit style i love corners. st. louis style i go for the viscera.
I wasn't too crazy about that provel concoction in the cheese of St. Louis pizza. The first slice or two I was like, mmm... good. But then I quickly kinda felt sick.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I wasn't too crazy about that provel concoction in the cheese of St. Louis pizza. The first slice or two I was like, mmm... good. But then I quickly kinda felt sick.
yes, that's part of the break in period. your body eventually creates antibodies, however, and the sick period passes w/ st. louis style. it's generally preferred that this provel innoculation occur during childhood, as violent reactions are known to occur with adults, although semi-rare.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
yes, that's part of the break in period. your body eventually creates antibodies, however, and the sick period passes w/ st. louis style. it's generally preferred that this provel innoculation occur during childhood, as violent reactions are known to occur with adults, although semi-rare.
hmmmmmm...... scary pizza.

sounds dangerously delicious.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
is st. louis style pizza "party cut" into squares like chicago style thin crust?

in chicago the little small triangles left over from the party cut are referred to as "corners" (even though the pizza is clearly round) and are highly sought after for their high edge crust ratio.

marriages and friendships have ended over the improper divying of the four corner pieces. they are special.
What is this divying of which you speak? I am most often a kind, generous, honest man, but when it comes to "corners," I become a mean, avaricious, lying monster! My favored way to purloin more than my share is loudly yell "hey, what's that?," point to the far side of the room, and as those who are gathered for the feast swing their heads in the direction so indicated, I SWOOP in, gobbling the delicous morsels. Bwahahahahaha!

Also, I am loving the Milwaukee love being shown on this thread. It is an amazing city. Everyone should visit. EVERYONE

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:38 PM

Speaking of other Great Lakes pizza... with a heavy heart, I'll share what was my hometown of Erie's finest. This is gonna be long, but if you're a pizza gourmand like me, you should appreciate it.

Pizza is taken seriously there (as it should be of course) since the Italian population, like most other old northeastern and midwestern cities, has long been prominent in local politics, culture, and food. The old school places that were the best in my opinion (Hector's and Luigi's) are unfortunately gone now, due to the passing of their owners, along with the significant deterioration of the neighborhood that they were in... Little Italy not being much of a Little Italy anymore. And my lament...

Hector's was one of those places that only made pizza after 9:00 PM, because that's when Hector's aunts and sisters were done cooking other meals for the restaturant in the kitchen... and also probably just because that's the fucking rule that they decided to make and there was nothing that anyone else could say about it, since it was their fucking kitchen. Totally old school. Felt like you were walking back into the 1950s or 60s when you entered the restaurant on the side of the building through a 1930s-era Deco glass-block-surrounded door... smooth wood-paneled small restaturant room, classic bar with tile floor through a short hallway, some autographed photos of Hector DiTullio with notable Italians like Joe DiMaggio, Tommy Lasorda (he would have Hector's tripe shipped to him), Dean Martin, Perry Como, etc., a table in the corner with a permanent 'reserved' sign on it, and an old TV on a shelf suspended by a chain up in the corner that was never on.

But to the point... the pizza was sublime. Square Sicilian-type cuts, but not as thick as you usually see nor too thin... and definitely NOT cooked in a pan. Dough done just right so it was soft but a bit crispy, with the perfect sauce -- just the right amount of oil and garlic mixed in with crushed tomatoes -- deliciously other-world saucy. It wasn't the thicker, deeper red sauce that most pizza has (that many places just pull out of a can and maybe add some of their own spices). Individual slices of quality mozzarell that didn't fully cover the sauce and topped off with real pepperoni... the smaller kind that curls up into cup and provides that perfect little sip of grease... never the flat and limp fake shit pepperoni. Never. I wish everyone could have had it. It is deeply missed by me as you can probably tell from my ode to Hector's pizza.

When Hector died, they closed and his aunts and sisters just stopped cooking and that was it for an Italian institution. Hector was gone and therefore so was Hector's. Again, totally old country old school. Recipies went with them. Which I just don't understand and will never. Another prominent Italian family tried to open it back up a few years after, but it wasn't even close to the same and it failed after a short attempt.

Hats off to Angie and Hector for blessing the Earth with the most delicious pizza known to humankind.

However, if you ever happen to be in town or are passing through Erie, PA, I highly recommend stopping at Virgil's. It's worth the stop. It's on Erie's lower west side. They do a really good pizza. The plain old pepperoni and cheese (pictured below) will make you happy, but all the other toppings are top notch too... the Maggio is a favorite as well.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/virgils-plate-erie-2

Last edited by pj3000; Jan 31, 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
What is this divying of which you speak? I am most often a kind, generous, honest man, but when it comes to "corners," I become a mean, avaricious, lying monster! My favored way to purloin more than my share is loudly yell "hey, what's that?," point to the far side of the room, and as those who are gathered for the feast swing their heads in the direction so indicated, I SWOOP in, gobbling the delicous morsels. Bwahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Also, I am loving the Milwaukee love being shown on this thread. It is an amazing city. Everyone should visit. EVERYONE
i fully concur.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
ha! I'm sure I could learn to love it with a bit of "practice".

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:10 PM
The City

Alright, I’m thinking of a trip with the fam to Milwaukee this weekend.

Damn it, family trips to urban environments are boring. Nevermind....

That’s why I never discovered Milwaukee. I never went there before I had kids

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Speaking of other Great Lakes pizza... with a heavy heart, I'll share what was my hometown of Erie's finest. This is gonna be long, but if you're a pizza gourmand like me, you should appreciate it.

Pizza is taken seriously there (as it should be of course) since the Italian population, like most other old northeastern and midwestern cities, has long been prominent in local politics, culture, and food. The old school places that were the best in my opinion (Hector's and Luigi's) are unfortunately gone now, due to the passing of their owners, along with the significant deterioration of the neighborhood that they were in... Little Italy not being much of a Little Italy anymore. And my lament...

Hector's was one of those places that only made pizza after 9:00 PM, because that's when Hector's aunts and sisters were done cooking other meals for the restaturant in the kitchen... and also probably just because that's the fucking rule that they decided to make and there was nothing that anyone else could say about it, since it was their fucking kitchen. Totally old school. Felt like you were walking back into the 1950s or 60s when you entered the restaurant on the side of the building through a 1930s-era Deco glass-block-surrounded door... smooth wood-paneled small restaturant room, classic bar with tile floor through a short hallway, some autographed photos of Hector DiTullio with notable Italians like Joe DiMaggio, Tommy Lasorda (he would have Hector's tripe shipped to him), Dean Martin, Perry Como, etc., and an old TV on a shelf suspended by a chain up in the corner that was never on.

But to the point... the pizza was sublime. Square Sicilian-type cuts, but not as thick as you usually see nor too thin... and definitely NOT cooked in a pan. Dough done just right so it was soft but a bit crispy, with the perfect sauce -- just the right amount of oil and garlic mixed in with crushed tomatoes -- deliciously other-world saucy. It wasn't the thicker, deeper red sauce that most pizza has (that many places just pull out of a can and maybe add some of their own spices). Individual slices of quality mozzarell that didn't fully cover the sauce and topped off with real pepperoni... the smaller kind that curls up into cup and provides that perfect little sip of grease... never the flat and limp fake shit pepperoni. Never. I wish everyone could have had it. It is deeply missed by me as you can probably tell from my ode to Hector's pizza.

When Hector died, they closed and his aunts and sisters just stopped cooking and that was it for an Italian institution. Hector was gone and therefore so was Hector's. Again, totally old country old school. Recipies went with them. Which I just don't understand and will never. Another prominent Italian family tried to open it back up a few years after, but it wasn't even close to the same and it failed after a short attempt.

Hats off to Angie and Hector for blessing the Earth with the most delicious pizza known to humankind.

However, if you ever happen to be in town or are passing through Erie, PA, I highly recommend stopping at Virgil's. It's worth the stop. It's on Erie's lower west side. They do a really good pizza. The plain old pepperoni and cheese will make you happy, but all the other toppings are top notch too... the Maggio is a favorite as well.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/virgils-plate-erie-2
thanks for that piece of history. the pizza at virgils looks great.

i AM going to dewey's for dinner. a primarily ohio-based chain, but a chain nonetheless. a decent one, though.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Buffalo is the flattest major city in America.

However, Buffalo has the quickest, best and most extensive access to ski country and topography of any Great Lakes city. Appalachia is only a half hour away.
Quick compare of elevation changes per city limits/metro area:
  • Chicago 100 ft/300 ft
  • Detroit 110/440
  • Buffalo 125/1765
  • Milwaukee 310/725
  • Cleveland 430/667
  • Toronto 430/1400

To compare to a couple of other cities:
  • Houston 50 ft/295 ft
  • Denver 400/5000+

- Houston is flatter, city and metro, than any major Great Lakes city
- Chicago is the flattest major Great Lakes city and metro
- Cleveland and Toronto have most elevation change in city limits than other major Great Lakes cities, and is higher than than Denver.
- Buffalo has the hilliest Great Lakes metro area

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
- Buffalo has the hilliest Great Lakes metro area
I would think Erie has a hillier metro area than Buffalo... especially considering Erie City and Erie County PA are relatively hilly themselves, unlike flat Buffalo proper and mainly flat Erie County NY.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:52 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I have yet to visit the Great Lakes cities. The history, the inland "seas", the affordability, and the pizza is enough to consider it.

As for the main pizza areas in the country, the original and major meccas are New York and Chicago. The original regions are the Northeast and Midwest. But there are outposts beyond those places. For instance, California has their own style and pizzerias owned by people who originally came from the East. They have the freshest ingredients. South Florida has a bunch of pizza joints owned by New Yorkers. If you guys are ever down in Miami waiting for a cruise, stop by Pizza Tropical in Wynwood. Essentially NY-style. And I'm sure there's some Chicago style joint somewhere. Unfortunately you may need a car

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:56 PM

The vast majority of NY-style pizza is overly large oily slices that are overly cheesed with the same-old flavorless crust. Even in NY.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions