HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
That skyscraper part makes sense. These cities were building them in the same era.
But as I've (and some others) have said, that's just one section, and maybe
30% of what downtown LA is.
For most people, Downtown, if applicable, is the skyscraper district and maybe an area or two directly connected closeby.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ true and I made the clarification regarding DTLA. The areas where the skyscrapers are feels similar to Houston and other sunbelt cities...there's nothing in most Sun belt cities remotely similar to the older part of LA downtown.

That was my personal opinion based on my observations of both places. There are parts the Montrose area that have similar vibe and feel to parts of LA. Especially north of Westheimer and in and around the Waugh Dr. area. Essentially the denser areas that are a tight mishmash new townhouses, older bungalows plus the few remaining garden style apartments.
I'd say Montrose is closer to Austin or San Francisco (and not just because of you know what) than LA.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
For most people, Downtown, if applicable, is the skyscraper district and maybe an area or two directly connected closeby.
Yea, the historic core is connected to the skyscraper district. It actually blends into it, outside of Bunker Hill. The historic core was the cbd of downtown LA for decades too, so I'm confused why they would be considered separate areas. This wouldnt be true for any other city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:39 AM

It definitely would for LA but not every city. For some, they just call it "Old [insert city]" to distinguish it from the Central Business District.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:58 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the moraines don’t exhibit much relief at all...as a whole chicagoland is extraordinarily notable for its lack of topography compared to almost every other us region. the moraines are only noticeable because the surrounding topography is so incredibly flat. the city itself feels almost as flat as new orleans!

have you been to chicago? its the flattest midwestern region i can think of by quite a large margin. granted i don’t know greater detroit other than quick runs in and out on the expressway or flying.
The largest moraine complex in the United States is Long Island, Staten Island, and the Outer Lands ...

It's interesting to note that the flattest lands overall in the Midwest are associated with proglacial lakebeds. The bed of Lake Agassiz is probably the largest stretch of near perfectly flat terrain you'll find on the continent, and Chicago proper is actually built in what was once the margin of proglacial Lake Chicago -- a Lake Michigan precursor.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
All Great Lakes cities look similarly "coastal"... simply because they are on a coast. And by physical nature of having that defined linear boundary of the lakshore (and usually relatively flat relief in close proximity to the shore) their urban layouts are generally going to be grid patterned.

I'd say that western Great Lakes cities look alike and eastern Great Lakes cities look alike. With eastern Great Lakes cities looking more northeastern and western Great Lakes cities looking more midwestern... primarily based on differences in regional topography... northeast being hilly and midwest being flat.
I like the look of Duluth. A smaller city but it looks larger probably because it stretches in a linear fashion and because of the rising topography, along with being older for it's size I guess. Is there another Great Lakes city that looks like it with the land rising pretty quickly from the lakefront?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
TLA isn't New York or Chicago, but it is fairly dense for being almost entirely detached SFHs.
LA has a (slightly) lower proportion of SFH than Chicago. LA is not really SFH-dominated, at all, at least not by American standards.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
LA has a (slightly) lower proportion of SFH than Chicago. LA is not really SFH-dominated, at all, at least not by American standards.
You have zero basis to say this, like most of your claims, actually.

Yeah yeah you drive by Chicago neighborhoods visiting your sister or whatever, but once again it doesn't seem to sink in that what looks like SFH are usually 2 or 3 flats.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
LA has a (slightly) lower proportion of SFH than Chicago.
are you sure about that? 2016 ACS data says otherwise:

chicago one unit detached - 25.6%

LA one unit detached - 38.6%

sources:
chicago data
LA data

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:36 PM
The City

^ Thats fake data. Crawford holds the key to the truth

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Thats fake data. Crawford holds the key to the truth
no, in this case i imagine crawford will respect the data, as it comes straight from the US census bureau.

but expect a textbook goal post move in 3..... 2..... 1.....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:41 PM

Oh no, he's very much willing to flat out deny census data when he doesn't agree with it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:44 PM

Just based on my personal observations of LA and Chicago, LA seemed to have waaay more SF homes than Chicago. When I think of LA housing...I think of the Brady Bunch house.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
are you sure about that? 2016 ACS data says otherwise:
2016 ACS Estimates show that LA has a slighter lower proportion of SFH homes as Chicago.

Chicago- 52.3% SFH detached homes
LA- 49.7% SFH detached homes.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

Again, LA is not the SFH wonderland as implied by the stereotype. There really is a ton of multifamily.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
2016 ACS Estimates show that LA has a slighter lower proportion of SFH homes as Chicago.

Chicago- 52.3% SFH detached homes
LA- 49.7% SFH detached homes.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table
try again, whatever you linked to, it absolutely does not back up your numbers.

the numbers i posted were straight from 2016 ACS estimates that i directly linked to.

Quote:
Again, LA is not the SFH wonderland as implied by the stereotype. There really is a ton of multifamily.
i don't care about LA's stereotype vs. its reality. i was strictly refuting your statement that LA has a lower proportion of SFH than chicago.

the facts say otherwise (not that the facts have ever gotten in your way, anyway).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
try again, what ever you linked to, it absolutely does not back up your numbers.
Um, did you look at the link? What on earth are you objecting to?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Um, did you look at the link? What on earth are you objecting to?
there was absolutely nothing in the link that provided any information about the percentage of SFH's in LA vs. chicago.

you should probably follow your own link, because it ain't going to where you apparently think it's going.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 29, 2018 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:01 PM
The City

Quote:
there was absolutely nothing in that link that provided any information about the percentage of SFH's in LA vs. chicago.

you should probably follow your own link, because it ain't going to where you might think it's going.
Crawford's link takes you to a cyber realm called "Crawfordland", where data supports all of his personal biases.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
I like the look of Duluth. A smaller city but it looks larger probably because it stretches in a linear fashion and because of the rising topography, along with being older for it's size I guess. Is there another Great Lakes city that looks like it with the land rising pretty quickly from the lakefront?
No city with as steep a rise from the lakefront as Duluth has that I know of.

Hamilton, ON has the Niagara Escarpment west of the city

Erie, PA rises sharply from the waterfront, but only for a short run, and then in a series of long slopes up to the Allegheny Plateau south of the city

Winter shots with frozen Presque Isle Bay and a snow-capped "peak"

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Just based on my personal observations of LA and Chicago, LA seemed to have waaay more SF homes than Chicago. When I think of LA housing...I think of the Brady Bunch house.
I'd love to live in this Los Angeles neighborhood. Take a tour! It backs right up to a moat, which is also known as the LA River. Low traffic, but being centrally located just off the Hollywood Freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...4d-118.3756193

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1432...7i13312!8i6656

Price estimate: $1.8 million

Last edited by Sun Belt; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions