HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Thanks for posting. This appears to be a different proposal than the one from last year-ish that was posted a few pages back for the same lot (http://ktgy.com/wp-content/uploads/2...ixed-Use-1.pdf). I like this one better--I like the plaza, I like more office space > hotel (especially in light of other hotel proposals), I think the architecture would blend well, and Crescent seems like a good fit here.

If street car on Ash is going to be successful, can't help feeling that a lot is riding on this lot, as the rest of the street is fire station, historic buildings and parking garages.

Also interesting that this is proposing a full size grocery store, given that the University/Ash proposal has its own grocery store and apparently has applied for a building permit. Although if they were to want to build a Fry's or something, I wouldn't be mad.
Wow. This is beautiful. Much better than the shit box that was proposed before on the corner of that site. They are smart to get out in front of the street car now.

I'd be thrilled if even 50% of these developments happened now in Tempe. Looks like the next DRC or two will have 2-3 more high-rises proposed, including this one!

I think we see a proposal for the Macayo's site in the next 8 months. Their are closing their midtown store and moving it across the street for a new development. More than that, they are deploying a new, more modern concept. I could see the Tempe location following this same plan and high-rise development happening on that site next. Thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 4:53 PM

Agh, this project looks beautiful!!

Sadly, knowing how every well designed project in Phx eventually falls to mediocrity, not holding my breath. I am however intrigued that this project retains the grocery aspect with the nearing possibility of Whole Foods being built down the street. Could 2 grocery stores thrive (in urban PHX) so near each other? Closest grocery to downtown Tempe is the Safeway at Rural and Broadway.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 7:49 PM

First Congregation Church sale closed yesterday to a developer

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 12:39 AM

Great project!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:23 PM

Report: 24-story apartment tower proposed near ASU

Quote:
A Chicago developer is proposing a 24-story apartment tower next to Arizona State University’s Tempe campus, according Business & Real Estate Weekly of Arizona.

Golub & Co. wants to build a 393-unit multifamily complex near Rural Road and University Drive, according to BREW.

Golub owns and is trying to sell a downtown block at Monroe and Second streets in downtown Phoenix.

The apartment market has been booming across Phoenix this past year, with a number of new units and complexes coming online in some submarkets including downtown Phoenix with several others in the development pipeline.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-near-asu.html

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
This is for Skyview at Terrance and Rural.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:43 PM

7th St. Mixed Use

So I was really excited to hear this broke ground, but it looks more value-engineered than the original proposal... not so excited anymore.

http://azbex.com/arizona-projects-12-16-16/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
So I was really excited to hear this broke ground, but it looks more value-engineered than the original proposal... not so excited anymore.

Agree that the VE is always a risk, but it's worth noting that in the original proposal, all of the renderings are showing the University frontage, where the hotel is planned. As originally proposed, the hotel and 20-story tower were the first phase, and the 12-story residential tower was 2nd phase. Most of the cool architectural flourishes were part of the conference/amenity space for the hotel facing University and aren't shown here.

It now appears that that the plan has changed to 20-story and 12-story residential towers as 1st phase, and hotel as 2nd phase. The rendering in the article is not shown in the original proposal, and shows the project from the other side--the 12-story residential fronting 7th St. 7th St. was always planned to have the walkup residential and retail on the corners. From what I can tell it hasn't changed.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

SmithGroupJJR is on board, which means this project will look awesome once it's finished. They're also designing the Tempe Biomedical Campus.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 12:59 AM

Old Main and University Club exterior preservation

Quote:
Old Main and University Club, two of ASU’s iconic buildings dating back to the turn of the 20th century, are undergoing exterior preservation work that will protect the historic buildings for years to come.

Exterior repairs of the masonry and windows, as well as revisions to the landscape irrigation system to prevent water damage, highlight the key work being done to preserve the buildings.

Old Main, which was originally constructed in 1898 and restored in 2000, will receive specific work to its exterior. Damaged and weathered windows will be repaired along with stonework along the west stairs. Metal cornices and trim will be addressed to remove rust. Exterior cracks in the building walls will also receive attention.

The University Club, constructed in 1909 and just to the east of Old Main, will also be going through similar preservation work during this project. Repair of exterior windows and masonry will help add to the shine of ASU’s historic district.

In addition to building repairs, landscaping work will be done in the area between and around Old Main and the University Club. Overgrown plantings around the buildings will be trimmed or replaced which will provide the following benefits: greater exposure of the building, better views from the windows, reduced moisture adjacent to the foundations, and improved security.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 3:49 AM

I got an interesting public hearing for an 'amusement business' called Escape Zone. Location is somewhat vague but shows off Mill and 5th. Hearing is jan 3. Pl# 160441. A dave and busters type place would be cool.

Ok. Checking further online it looks nothing like a Dave and Buster

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I got an interesting public hearing for an 'amusement business' called Escape Zone. Location is somewhat vague but shows off Mill and 5th. Hearing is jan 3. Pl# 160441. A dave and busters type place would be cool.

Escape Zone sounds like the place where they lock you or a group of people into a themed room and you're given an amount of time to escape it using clues and items.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post

Escape Zone is already in business at 414 S Mill. What's the hearing for?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
Escape Zone is already in business at 414 S Mill. What's the hearing for?
Good question. It does not say. Maybe an expansion. Does seem strange if they have been there a while. Sounds like a fun place. I hope they make it work.First i've heard of them.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 2:50 AM

Matt’s Big Breakfast opens in Tempe

Quote:
While the original location is well-known for its long lines, especially on weekends, the Tempe location has had no lines – and very few customers overall – so far.

The hard part is finding it, since it’s not visible from the street. From Rio Salado Parkway – about halfway between Mill and Rural – turn north into the Marina Heights/State Farm development, then go left at the end of the driveway.

The restaurant, located in Marina building #2, faces north. Look for the bright orange sign (pictured).

The good news is the Tempe location is much larger than the Phoenix original and has a patio. It features the same menu of classic, no-frills dishes.

Hours are 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. daily.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
/\/\

Just went there this morning. That place is awesome. Good food for a good price.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 9:55 PM

I think the hotel has been nixed from 7th Street Mixed Use; I am ok with that if the entire thing is now done at once. 7th Street could use the density.

The 5th and Ash proposal is absolutely amazing and what should have been built on lots like Hanover, Ash and Uni, etc. Whoever mentioned the importance of this re: streetcar nailed it. Thanks to the city allowing the expansion of the monstrous garages, this really is the only clear development site aside from the Uni intersection.

The entire area by Macayo's seems very hard to develop. There isn't much left, though, especially since Urban Partners - who own Farmer - are in no rush to develop after the City screwed them on the 13-story residential.

I don't think Tempe can support two grocers, or even one. But, 5th and Ash is much closer to the little bit of non-student residential that has built up along 1st.

---

The Council is consdering ways to discourage R-4 residential. This is , of course, due to the west-end neighborhoods. Their lack of acceptance to an urbanizing city prevented Tempe from a lot of great development. If density west of Ash is limited to 2-family housing, the concept of a 'downtown Tempe' is over. It'll be Mill + Lake. Farmer should be filled with 8-10 story buildings, and then to the west, townhomes built as infill.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 10:11 PM

I do hope see one or both of:
a) redevelopment of underutilized sites like Hayden Square, the Garmeier building and ATT/Cox buildings on 5th... I also think the Courtyard at Centerpoint is outdated with streetcar coming. A mixed use condo would be a good use IMO.
b) the City RFP strategic land like PHX does. A conference center and high-rise hotel adjacent to the TCC would be so much better of a use than a jail and city offices. Move those to Southern/Rural if demo of the current City Hall would be fought. My preference would be for a government plaza to replace it, though, with City Hall, a midrise office tower, and maybe residential facing a continuous 6th Street (the pedestrian mall there kills the Brickhouse).

Every city seems to have a telecom building that is a total eyesore (Van Buren/2nd St, for ex); why is this? Is there something about them that prevents a mixed use project of some sort? Both PHX and Tempe's are in great positions but seem unlikely to be touched.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Aura Watermark (north side of the lake, west of Scottsdale) received unanimous approval from the DRC last night. Sounds like there are a lot of moving parts with this one, should be interesting to watch. Transwestern, who built the new 'Vela' apartments to the west, is raising a stink because they think future multi-family will be different than the current PAD, which Transwestern used as a guide when designing their project. This definitely isn't one I'm holding my breath on.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Aura Watermark (north side of the lake, west of Scottsdale) received unanimous approval from the DRC last night. Sounds like there are a lot of moving parts with this one, should be interesting to watch. Transwestern, who built the new 'Vela' apartments to the west, is raising a stink because they think future multi-family will be different than the current PAD, which Transwestern used as a guide when designing their project. This definitely isn't one I'm holding my breath on.
Isn't unanimous approval from the DRC a good thing? They are raising a stink because their project is going to look even cheaper (for a lake development) than it does now once beautiful Watermark goes up.

I think this project breaks ground before summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest