HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
SRC is almost never dead. The people jumped from here for good reason.
The people who left here were extreme left wing liberals, which is the mindset over at Skyrise and why it doesn't come as a surprise they left. Over at SRC if somebody mentions anything remotely right wing, they get ganged up on, and that's the reason I never go there.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
The people who left here were extreme left wing liberals, which is the mindset over at Skyrise and why it doesn't come as a surprise they left. Over at SRC if somebody mentions anything remotely right wing, they get ganged up on, and that's the reason I never go there.
Ganged up on? Who’s getting ganged up on?

I agree SRC is left leaning, but hardly what I would call extreme left wingers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
Ganged up on? Who’s getting ganged up on?

I agree SRC is left leaning, but hardly what I would call extreme left wingers.
Anyone who supports the UCP gets ganged up on. It happened just a few days ago in the Green Line thread. In the politics thread it happens all the time.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:27 AM

So I guess the key to a successful forum is less right wing nuts! hmm.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Anyone who supports the UCP gets ganged up on. It happened just a few days ago in the Green Line thread. In the politics thread it happens all the time.
I thought liberals were the snowflakes?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:02 PM

Quote:
I haven’t seen that in my experience, and I’m a regular visitor, but hey ad you mentioned, never go there so I guess you would know better than I would.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 2:34 AM

What about all the suburban single family house developments going on? There must be some nice ones out there??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
I haven’t seen that in my experience, and I’m a regular visitor, but hey ad you mentioned, never go there so I guess you would know better than I would.
I plug my nose and I go there once in a while, but I keep it as short as possible.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I thought liberals were the snowflakes?
I like the term ‘libtards’ myself.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I like the term ‘libtards’ myself.
I like Shitlib

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
To be fair, the other forum has been dead too. There just isn't a lot going on right now.
There is lots going on around Calgary. These are just some of the high rise projects in the city.
11th and 11th
Place 10
Curtis Block
Dominion
The Bridge
Sunlata Heights
Era
The Dells
The Dorian
Jemm 16th Ave
Connaught Mixed Use
5th & Macleod
The Hat@14th

And some of the cool lowrise projects
BMO Expansion
Steps Bridgeland
West 17
Nimmons Court
Courtyard 33

There are about 40-50 projects that are in active discussion because they are u/c or almost under construction. Too many to list all of them.
This is the directory of all the projects.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:25 PM

Common Sense 1 - Druh Farrell 0

I’ve been following this story for a few weeks now, it’s gratifying to see Social media used to redress a wrong. The publicity it brought to this case clearly embarrassed the City and outgoing alderman Druh Farrell over their shenanigans to deny an immigrant family a rebuilding permit. Druh Farrell tried to ban new drive-thrus in the City back in 2001 as a first year alderman, which was roundly rejected, now we see she’s been doing by stealth what she couldn’t achieve by consensus. Well done Calgarians!

The Dairy Queen at Centre Street and 18th Avenue N.E. was approved for redevelopment Wednesday by Calgary’s Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Sheila Gordon, the daughter-in-law of the building’s owner, says she was “completely shocked” that the SDAB found in her family’s favour. “I was so sure we were going to be turned down again, so this decision came as a total surprise. “We’d been turned down flat twice and I think the statement from (Ward 7 Coun.) Druh Farrell really shook me — shook us all. I thought, she doesn’t have the backs of her constituents, so I thought we were dead in the water,” she said.

“I think John Shim’s testimony about how this affected his family turned the tide and the community’s response was just incredible, so we thank everyone who reached out to their councillors and the mayor. We didn’t expect any of that but I really believe it has hopefully taught city hall a lesson,” she said.

In its 18-page written decision, the SDAB gave many reasons why it overturned the decisions of the City’s Development Authority. April Kojima of Rick Balbi Architect Ltd., who was the technical appellant-applicant, had shown the SDAB photos and other exhibits of what kinds of businesses exist within 600 metres of the proposed 16th Avenue Green Line LRT station, including 14 strip malls with surface lots, two auto dealerships, two gas stations, eight auto services such as car washes and quick lubes, multiple large surface lots, Peters’ Drive-In, two other fast-food drive-thru restaurants and a City of Calgary surface pay lot. “By refusing the current development permit, the Development Authority is declining the significant improvements offered, including the removal of all access to Centre Street N.E.,” states the decision.

The city’s planning department knew that the new plans were superior to the original but used the redevelopment permit as an excuse to shoot down the fast-food restaurant, because as Farrell wrote in a two-page document that she sent to Planning and Development and that was included in the more than 400 pages sent to the SDAB: “The proposed design is a generic Dairy Queen that is well below the quality expected and needed for this location.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ueen-franchise

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:23 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
There is lots going on around Calgary. These are just some of the high rise projects in the city.
11th and 11th
Place 10
Curtis Block
Dominion
The Bridge
Sunlata Heights
Era
The Dells
The Dorian
Jemm 16th Ave
Connaught Mixed Use
5th & Macleod
The Hat@14th

And some of the cool lowrise projects
BMO Expansion
Steps Bridgeland
West 17
Nimmons Court
Courtyard 33

There are about 40-50 projects that are in active discussion because they are u/c or almost under construction. Too many to list all of them.
This is the directory of all the projects.
Plenty of misinformation in some of those threads - amusing to read though. Know this as someone who has and still does (as well as know others who) work in a number of those projects.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Plenty of misinformation in some of those threads - amusing to read though. Know this as someone who has and still does (as well as know others who) work in a number of those projects.
What sort of misinformation?

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:42 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What sort of misinformation?
About how a building is structured inside, the finishes, the internal amenities, the trades working there. So many baseless opinions are posted.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 11:04 PM
Moran supreme

Bucci Dominion phase 1, move-ins commence June 1.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates