HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 11:30 PM

[Bedford] Southgate Village | ? m | 4 fl | U/C

Case Number: 00762
Height: Unknown
Floors: 4 & 3 floors + townhouses + single unit dwelling
Location: 820-836 Bedford Highway (Southgate Drive - Glenmount Avenue)
Completion Date: Unknown

Source: Partners Global Corporate Real Estate Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was an arcticle in the Community Herald about this proposed development. Apparently it exceeds the limit of 2'000 units in Bedford South. Basically its located on Bedford Highway between Southgate Drive and Glenmont Avenue. It consists of a multi-unit building, retail, townhouses and one single occupant house.

Here's a link to the Council Report
http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0115ca1121.pdf

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 26, 2010 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are developments in the works for all of the vacant land bounded by Kearney Lake Rd and Hammonds Plains Rd/Bedford Highway. Basically this is going to be the next Clayton Park since there's no more land left inside the 102 South of Kearney Lake Rd.

I'm guessing the pace of development in the area will pick up quite a bit once the last buildings in Clayton Park West are complete.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are developments in the works for all of the vacant land bounded by Kearney Lake Rd and Hammonds Plains Rd/Bedford Highway. Basically this is going to be the next Clayton Park since there's no more land left inside the 102 South of Kearney Lake Rd.

I'm guessing the pace of development in the area will pick up quite a bit once the last buildings in Clayton Park West are complete.
Clayton has 1500 acres to develop in the area with a projected density of 7 homes per acre. Also have plans for a business campus and other developments such as Northwood care facilities.

Southgate thing is in my opinion too much density in the area with little infastructure to support it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 11:44 PM

Supposedly this Parks of Bedford West is a 1'300 acre development. If all the buildings within the development end up having a Bedford adress this might send our population sky rocketing again. According to the Southgate report Bedford has tripled its population in 25 years (6'000 - 20'000). If anyone knows where i can find a map please tell me i'm really interested in seeing the layout of such a huge project.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 12:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 9:51 PM

Since this proposal hasn't been talked about for 10 months I've emailed Councillor Outhit in hope to get an official status on this project. Its probably dead but I want to make sure. Surprisingly there hasn't been much activity in Bedford South for awhile now. The Ravines has halted construction for awhile pending approval for the next section, Lawton's is complete, the ferry terminal is still being infilled, and the Dockside built its sales center. Buts thats it the rest of Bedford has stayed the same.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 7:20 PM

I received an email back from the planning department today:

Good Morning Mr. Jackson:

The proposed changes to the Municipal Planning Strategy were made by Regional Council and the development agreement was approved by North West Community Council. The developer has signed the development agreement and HRM is now in the position to be able to issue permits for the development subject to the conditions of the development agreement. Please contact me if you require further information.

Andrew

Looks like its going to get built relatively soon. As soon as construction I'll keep thias thread somewhat updated since i live nearby.

May I suggest this thread be retitled to "Southgate Village | ? | 4 floors | Approved"?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:20 PM

I can't really tell, is this mostly houses (like the Ravines) or multi-unit buildings (like Clayton Park West)? I'm hoping the latter.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:33 PM

It comprises of;

-townhouses
-one single family house (on Glenmount Ave)
-A commercial building
-and a multi-unit residential building of four storeys.

They're also adding in sidewalks and underground parking for access. Just for anyone unfamiliar with Bedford this lot stretches on Bedford Highway between Southgate Drive and Glenmount Ave on the western side of the road. Right now theres forest, bike lane, a bus stop and a dirt parking-lot for the bus stop.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 5:12 AM

Just a picture of the site by me back in October sometime:

Southgate Village is the lot in the background below the yellow condo building, currently covered in trees. Its right next to where the two cars are turning.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:30 AM

Smile Pre-leasing

According to a sign and a rendering on the corner of Southgate and Bedford Highway the retail building is going ahead.

I'll snap a picture of the photo they had this weekend sometime.

From their website (link).

NEW DEVELOPMENT!
Southgate Village
820 - 836 Bedford Highway, Bedford, NS

This new development at the entrance to the Ravines has approx. 18,000 sq. ft. of commercial space available for lease
Excellent Class A location and views
Available Spring 2010
more info >

Please call for asking rates
Geof Ralph - (902) 444.3006
Dan Sangster - (902) 444.8671

EDIT: Just a side note. The same group is also behind Notting Village, Garden Stone Place (5552 Kaye) and a couple more recently completed buildings. See the link above for all of them.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 17, 2009 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 7:20 PM

April 18, 2008

Here are some lot pictures I snapped today;

That car's been sitting there for my entire life.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 5:36 PM

So here's a question;

If one were to build a two storey retail building like this one how long would construction take? Because they are planning to open in the Spring and I have been keeping watch on the lot but I didn't know when I should expect construction.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:12 AM

This project has been removed from the Partners Global website so I think its on hold for now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 10:37 PM

Construction Commencing?

There are two excavators parked on site and stakes in the ground so this might be starting;

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:48 PM

Land clearing/demolition now underway;

BTW this makes four projects currently underway on my bike route (aka the Bedford Highway) with Dockside on the way soon.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 5:19 PM

The buildings in this project might not be tall but the amount of landscape change this has caused is highly noticable in the area;

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:41 PM
Honored Member

I think all these Bedford area developments will make it a much more interesting urban area. This is a very scenic location for urban development (city dwellers need scenery also). It will look great from the water also (if there is any water left after filling in the Bedford Basin).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:23 AM

The one house that survived the demolition crew is now sitting on a trailer bed on the Southgate end of the site. I think they are rebuilding the foundation for the house since the buildings on the site were abandoned for years and quite run-down.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 4:18 PM

No photo but over the last few months they have completed the land prep and have abandoned the site. The area is now partially sodded and the rest of the area has been flattened and blocked off with boulders.

Similar to Dockisde I think this project has hit the condo slowdown in Bedford. The overabundance of approved and under construction land in Bedford has development occuring at a slow pace and since many of the new dwellings are houses/townhouses in the Ravines and Stonington Park, condos have little chance to get enough units sold to apply for financing. Commercially Bedford is doing okay but projects like these are also at a disadvantage. New retail stores in Bedford have for the most part moved into the Commons on Dasmascus Drive. The two malls have slowly emptied out and except for the Shopper's relocation into Sunnyside the malls are not looking in good shape. All the commercial/business space in West Bedford is still empty and for sale and retail expansion into Bedford South is slow but happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs